Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #1  

Question I am so confused!!!

I have been doing this whole diet thing for almost a week now, i hav estarted ot look a little closer to labels and read them and compare them. Here is my problem... Everywhere yoiu go you are told not toeat anything white, right? No white bread, rice ,pasta, ect... it is terrible for you. At least that is what i have been told. Now i have compared the label to both the white pasta and the whole wheat and the ww has more calories and the same amount of carbs for the same serving size. the same is rue for some buns i was looking at. i don't get it. i am not doing alow carb diet, i will never be abale to sustain that lifestyle. i have jsut chosen to eat healthier and watch my caloric intake... Does anyone have any advice or idea about this whole white vs whole wheat thing??? thank in advance...
missprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #2  
dgpebbles

whole wheat will make you feel full longer...It also takes longer for your body to digest so all the calories and fat are not absorbed into your system..
here is a few lines from a book...
first the wheat is stripped of the bran and fiber...then it's pulverized into the finest white flour..a slice of white bread hits your bloodstream with the same jolt you'd get by eating a tablespoon of table sugar..whole grains put your stomach to work...the grains habven't been processed to death..as a result, the sugars are released gradually into the bloodstream...if there's no sudden surge in blood sugar, your pancres won't produce much insulin, and you won't get the craving for nore carbs....fiber delays your stomach's effort to get at the sugars and starches in carbohydrates...the nutrients are bound up in that fiber too, so the stomach has to work harder to get at the nutrition..

also fats and protein slow the speed with which your stomach does its job on carbs...eating a little protein , or some fat--good fat--along with your cards is beneficial...you'll actually make less insulin and you'll reduce the cravings for more food in the hours ahead

I hope this helped some
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #3  
Determined

Keep in mind too that a lot of products are labeled "wheat" and are really just the white product with color added. It's important that the product say 100% whole wheat.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #4  

Thank you so much, that really did help! i get it now! I really appreciate it!
missprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Also, try to include ww products that contain higher amounts of fiber. Personally I still eat potatoes, but I switched to brown rice and ww bread, ww tortillas, ww bagels, and a multigrain pasta (can't stomach the whole wheat yet and this one has omega 3 fatty acids, flaxseeds, and some other healthy stuff), and multigrain crackers (the kind I like don't have ww).

Since the bread and pasta carbs can add up calories, use some of your carbs from veggies and fruits. Carbs are not bad for you (in my opinion), but don't let the calories add up too much. The best way to do this is to measure servings. When I cook spaghetti, I measure a serving (200 cal) and find that it is plenty with my sauce added. Another hint, ground beef (even lean) is high in calorie content so for 1 1/2 lbs I used to put in my recipes for my family, I reduced it to 1 lb and sometimes 3/4 of a lb. It goes a lot longer than I gave it credit for. Nobody misses it. It's all about portion control.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #6  
it's always something

I eat white pasta, but only eat whole grain breads. The new USDA guidelines tell us to get 6 servings of grains per day, and at least 3 of those should be whole grain. Keep in mind that one serving is usually one slice of bread, or one ounce of uncooked grains. Instead of pasta or bread, I usually get my grains by eating oatmeal or side dishes using bulgar, barley, etc.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote