Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #1  

Default Tummy tuck

HAs anyone else from this site gone through a tummy tuck?
I just had mine on Monday and boy i was not expecting that!!!lol.............I really thought i had been hit by a truck and I could NOT stand, sit, sleep, pee, walk, cough, laugh, breath, move!!!
Today Saturday, is the first day I didnt wake up in extreme pain, and I can actually sit on a chair!!, Instaed of on a million cushions on the sofa!!
So any advice or support would be great and welcomed, and if anyone is considering it, I will be happy to answer any questions!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9

What I don't understand is why you would have a tummy tuck BEFORE you lost weight?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #3  
Mel

Boy oh boy, that was my thought too, cemetarysiren! IMO, it is NOT a weightloss tool.

Check the Maintainers Forum- the sticky on Loose Skin contains several surgery stories.

Mel
Old 02-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Why would you buy yourself new clothes before you lost weight? To make yourself feel better and give yourself motivation.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #5  

Buying new clothes and having SURGERY are two completely different things.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #6  
Meg

Please do check out the Weight Loss and Skin FAQs in the Maintainers Forum. As Mel said, several of us have posted about tummy tuck or similiar experiences.

BTW, most surgeons require their patients to be at a stable goal weight for six months to a year before doing any kind of body contouring surgery. It seems to me that the big problem with doing surgery first and then losing weight is having to re-do the surgery once you reach goal.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #7  
Paleo-ish Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25
Buying new clothes and having SURGERY are two completely different things.
Yes, it is, but there's no reason to attack her for doing what she feels is necessary or helpful.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #8  
Sweet Success

Default Something to ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
Yes, it is, but there's no reason to attack her for doing what she feels is necessary or helpful.
Tummy tuck is a very serious thing to do. If any one does a tummy tuck at the wrong time during their weight loss may not be the best thing for most people.

I know yesterday when I first read nicnacmd7 statement I had notice that her weight ticker she had set up for her self said she had 0 loss in her weight and the whole Why did she get a tummy tuck now, knowing she may have to redue it again if she lose 80 to 100 pounds came to mind?

However I notice she had already posted here at 3FC about 23 times and I had looked up her past post. I had notice in one other forum where she introduce her self she had said she had at one time weigh almost 300 pounds. Now not knowing if she weigh at it or not (she said almost so I am subtracting about -10 here). I had to at least assume she had lost near 50 pounds. (As of now 240) question is, does it require a tummy tuck for anyone at this stage?

I am at lost about right here, so I didn’t get on the bashing band wagon about it. I can understand why other people are a little bit relentless about nicnacmd7 statment.

But it does leave you something to think about.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyRoo
I am at lost about right here, so I didn’t get on the bashing band wagon about it. I can understand why other people are a little bit relentless about nicnacmd7 statment.

But it does leave you something to think about.
I agree, in a way, but this is a support forum, y'know? She came looking for support and instead received criticism.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

We are all assuming we know what the original author meant by "tummy tuck". Maybe she is referring to some variety of gastric bypass surgery . . . i.e., taking a tuck in the tummy to make the stomach smaller? Before we jump down her throat (which could be very painful for her), let's see if nicnac comes back to give more of an explanation. As Meg mentioned, most surgeons won't do body sculpting surgery for someone just starting the weight-loss journey.

Hey, nicnac, come on back . . . nobody here means to be mean, we just get confused easily.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
BTW, most surgeons require their patients to be at a stable goal weight for six months to a year before doing any kind of body contouring surgery.
Not ALL surgeons. Unfortunately some doctors have $ $ for eyeballs . . .

Anyway, to answer your question, nicnacmd7, I haven't had a tummy tuck, but I plan to get a full body lift after my weight loss is complete. I won't get a complete tummy tuck because I haven't had children yet.

I don't think any comments were made to attack you, nicnacmd7, we are just curious and in need of clarification. Please come back, we don't want to scare you away.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #12  

I wasn't criticizing her or attacking her. It just did not make any sense to me as to why one would have a tummy tuck before losing weight. Number one, it should not be used as a weight loss tool. And number two, it makes no sense to have it before you lose weight if you are just going to be left with extra skin AFTER you lose the weight.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #13  
Mel

Agreed. I lost 10 pounds a year after mine- and I'd been at a stable weight for 3 years before. Those 10 pounds don't sound like much, but they were enough to make me wish I'd really buckled down BEFORE hand. Certainly not enough skin to redo, but the skin is looser again.

Also, I was in extremely good shape going into the surgery. Because my upper body and abs were so strong, I could move right after surgery. Anyone contemplating surgery would be well advised to do a lot of strength training beforehand. The results looked better, according to my surgeon, because he had firm musculature over which to drap the skin. Recovery is a lot easier because I could get myself up using my upperbody strength even while still in the hospital. The nurses were amazed.

Mel
Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I have had 3 children and my tummy looks a little different this time than previously. After I lose my weight if I have loose skin, I will want to have a tummy tuck done. Since I know insurances probably don't cover these things, I'm curious how much it was.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #15  
Mel

Costs really depend on where you live, whether or not you spend a night in the hospital (my surgeon would NOT do out-patient TT's) and the extent of the surgery. There are full tummy tucks with muscle repair if you've had children and pregnancy or obesity have stretched or torn your ab muscles, or mini tucks. A good site for info is tuckthattummy.com

Mel
Closed Thread