Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #1  

Default Chicken in foreman grill.. Need easy way to spice it up?

Well we will be doing a remodel soon and I will be without a stove, so I plan on firing up the foreman grill to grill some chicken breasts. Just wondering if any of you have any good low cal options to spice it up?

Thanks!
Mentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:36 AM   #2  

I'm in the UK, so the products we have will be different. I tend to use spice mixes like cajun, jamaican etc, I am sure you will have a far better range than we do! If I was cooking without a proper kitchen, I'd make a salsa to go with it, with either tomato, or mango or for a treat, avocado. Most of the spice mixes are calorie free, and if you use vinegar and no oil in your salsa dressing, you have a healthy dinner!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

bottled barbeque sauce is good...marinate them (if you can) for a little while and stick em in. You really don't even have to. Also, thyme or marjoram (or both) with a little pepper sprinkled on them is good. I'm still looking for some other recipes myself...
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #4  

Mrs. Dash's Chicken Grilling blend is very tasty.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #5  

I use the Foreman grill on a consistent basis. I usually marinate the chicken in a vinagrette dressing like balsamic or raspberry & walnut. The ones that I am really liking now are the lighten up ones from Newman's Own.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #6  

i am looking to buy a foreman grilll....whats a good one...

i live by myself...so nothing huge...
Juhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #7  

I use any kind of rub. And I always spray the meat with Pam to make the rub stick better....My favorite is a garlic rub on boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Because of the fat it forms a nice crust and with the grill the fat falls off..They are more points but SO worth it.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #8  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I use a dry rub on the chicken breasts:-

1 tbls Mrs Dash Salt Free seasoning
1/2 tbls cumin
1/2 tbls paprika
1/2 tbls cayenne pepper (or more if you like spicy)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

It's yummy. I usually let the chicken cool down then cut it up into bit size pieces for salads, it *almost* tastes like my favourite cajun chicken salad at one of the restaurants here.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I marinate mine in an italian dressing.I found an great low cal one with roasted red pepper.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 139/124/115

I have a grill but no instructions. Can anyone tell me how long to cook chicken breast? I always under or over cook.
anyothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow these are some great tips on new ways to fix chicken on the grill! I bought a jumbo one even though I am single and often cook my chicken AND a couple veggies such as baby carrots and red peppers (amazingly good) all at the same time. Easy and quick!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhi
i am looking to buy a foreman grill....whats a good one...

i live by myself...so nothing huge...
It's pricier, but the Cuisinart G4 is wonderful- I love it so much more then any of the GF grills I've had. I tend to use mine several times a day for cooking or reheating items- that's why I went through a few of the GF & other various ones. Features I've found I won't do without on a grill are:
  • removable grill plates so I can properly clean them after cooking meats & stuff- having both flat and grill bump plates is a great & gives you a lot more options...plus you should always have a clean set
  • temperature control- some things need different temps, I find I get better results if I can sear the outside of meat so all the juices don't get cooked away...don't let the advertising on GF grills fool you, not all that liquid that get's knocked out is fat, its the moisture from your meat too
  • true floating hinge- my last grill before the Cuisinart was a panini grill that could float up to 2 1/2"-3", which gives you a lot more options then the 1/2"-1" most GF type grills have. A good example (not necessarily diet wise) is pizza- I could set it up so the top grill was an inch or so above the pizza so it warmed the toppings & cheese while the bottom grill was crisping the crust...works with other things too that you don't want to squash or lose the topping. Unfortunately the panini grill decided to not work one day without any warning about 6 weeks ago and the company that made doesn't have the same model now
  • being able to lay it out flat to use as a griddle- gives you more options, especially if you have guest over (I usually only cook for 1 or 2 people, so I don't have the big electric griddles and pans that would be nice when I have company)
  • check the actual size of the cooking vs the outside size of the grill, some of them look like they are bigger- they are, on the outside- but they have a much smaller usable grill area
I thought the $129 was way too much to spend on the Cuisinart until I thought about how much I use it, even more then my microwave. Add in a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond or Amazon has $25 off if you spend over $100 on kitchen & bath stuff (w/free shipping too) and it brings it down to $100. Add in all the saved counter space, since I no longer use a toaster or the really nifty convection-toaster oven I had, and its well worth it. Being single, I use it for a lot of things you would usually put in the oven because its quicker & cheaper. What really sealed the deal was having to use my old GF grill again while I shopped for a new one- I found I wasn't cooking as much and definitely wasn't eating as healthy because the GF was so limited on what I could put in it and I had gotten use to not drying my meat & other food out so much. It also helped that Prevention rated the Cuisinart G4 #1 in a recent article on indoor grill, the comparable GF grill came in 3rd or 4th.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #13  

I need recipes, too! My chicken always gets too dry on the GF.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #14  

Quote:
I have a grill but no instructions. Can anyone tell me how long to cook chicken breast? I always under or over cook.
I have a george foreman grill and chicken breasts usually cook in roughly 10 minutes for me, depending on thickness. I time them for 10 minutes and cut open the largest breast to see if it's still pink and increase the time if necessary. I have never overcooked them this way.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

I cook strips or flattened out chicken breasts rather than whole ones. They cook in about 5 minutes and are very tender. I spray the grill first with butter flavor cooking spray.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote