Old 02-19-2006, 02:14 AM   #1  

Default This is where food confuses me ?!

Hi everyone,

Just need some pointers from you pros out there. I've lost the weight so far by just eating low fat and trying to stick between 20-30grams of fat a day. As well as exercising (treadmill 20mins approx 5 times a week + some light weights approx 2 times a week.)

Id say because I've kept my fat content in that range my calories were also ok = burning more each day which = weight loss (over 6month-1year period). The foods I eat are fresh ie. vegies, meats, etc. not pre-packaged kinds.

I added my calories last night instead just out of curiosity and although I ate very well - a juice I was drinking added 600 cals for that day(although I try get low sugar juices) and to maintain my weight I need approx 2000 cals a day - this tipped me over the edge calorie wise although my fat content was fine for the day.

So this is where I get confused as I know some low fat foods are high in sugars or carbs instead ie. coke, 97% fat free cake mixes for example. Therefore -

1. What is an ok range of sugar per 100g of a food on average ? Or an ok range for the whole day (like 20-30grams of fat for healthy weight loss)

2. What is an ok range of carbs per 100g of food on average ? Or an ok range for the whole day (like 20-30grams of fat for healthy weight loss)

This is how I monitor my intake I check fat per 100g as you can compare with similar food just by reading the lables - lower the fat in 100g the better and I find it easier to manage as some foods are in KJ or Cals and so you have to convert it etc. Yet when it comes to something like coke for example which you know is bad for you as it contains alot of sugar, it has no fat at all but I only know this as it's almost common knowledge about soft drinks these days BUT I need some idea how to monitor this in other foods/drinks as high amounts of hidden sugars and carbs in foods is what may slow me down.

Im not sure what's good amounts and what's bad amounts for a day ??

Thanks for your help !

nature09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Nature09-

According to http://www.dietitian.com/sugar.html the ratio of Carbs to sugar should be 10%- 10 grams of sugar for every 100 grams of carbs.

According to http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/nutr....asp?artId=992 Most medical experts say that 60 percent of the calories you eat every day should come from carbohydrates. To find out how many carbohydrates you need, multiply the number of calories you need by .6. For example, if you need 2,000 calories per day, 2000 multiplied by .6 = 1,200. So you know you need 1,200 calories from carbohydrates. There are 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrate. Take your 1,200 calories and divide by 4 = 300 grams.

There are a lot of factors that can affect your carbohydrate intake- for instance, if you are a diabetic, some doctors might suggest a slightly lower carb ratio.

You might want to consider a visit with a nutritionist to help you come up with a specific plan for you, based on your age, weight, and heath status because we are all so different, and we each need different things, depending on if we are trying to gain, maintain or lose weight.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote