Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #1  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Bruising?

This is probably more of a nutrition question, but I'm not sure. I feel funny asking, but has anyone else found that they bruise much more easily than in the past? I'm not sure if maybe I'm not getting enough of some nutrient/vitamin/whatever, but I've noticed in the past couple of months that I seem to have started bruising more easily than I used to, and I don't know what to attribute it to other than changes in diet. I feel fine.

My eating is far from perfect, but it's improving. I know I need to work on getting less processed food and more fruits/veggies. I've changed my protein choices -- six months ago, I was eating hamburger and other red meats at almost every meal (except breakfast) and now I tend to eat primarily chicken, with occasional fish (well, shrimp/shellfish anyway), and red meat maybe three times a week total. I'm going to start taking a daily vitamin, but was just wondering if anyone knows what would cause a person to start bruising easily -- I've always been a klutz, but this is just silly.
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #2  

I don't know... but the nutrients thing seems to make sense.

I can tell you from experience that I always bruise very easily... but, I have a very white complexion. I also have high blood pressure, if that has anything to do with it.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

You're anemic, I can almost guarantee it. Take an iron supplement and the bruising should decrease.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

Weird. I don't know the answer, but now I'm going to research it. I too noticed that my legs had these big ugly bruises on them and I didn't remember bumping myself. I too thought it must be related to whatever I am or am not getting in my diet lately.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

A couple of years ago I looked like a bad potato! I had unexplained bruises on my arms and legs almost constantly. I went to a physician and had blood work done (CBC and SMA7) which turned out o.k. I started taking a multivitamin (actually prenatal vit.) and within a few weeks it cleared up. In the past 2 years I haven't had any unexplained bruising.

I don't know if a multivit will help you but it shouldn't hurt you. Please do see a physician if the problem doesn't resolve and/or if you have any symptoms of anemia such as: shortness of breath, excessive fatigue, chest pain, pallor (pale complexion). If you suspect anemia please see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

A possible cause of excessive bruising and/or bleeding may be medications you are taking. Do you take aspirin, ibuprofen (advil, motrin) arthritis medications, coumadin, etc.?

I am not a physician, but I hope this helps
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

I did some research, came up with some interesting things.

One was this: "Trypsin and Chymotrypsin

Trypsin and chymotrypsin, naturally produced in the body to help digest protein, are often called proteolytic enzymes. (Bromelain, discussed below, is a proteolytic enzyme from a plant source.) It is theorized that trypsin and chymotrypsin reduce swelling by breaking down protein fibers that trap fluids in the tissues after an injury, thereby restoring normal circulation in the area."

It occurred to me that since I'm on a high protein low carb diet, that perhaps I'm "using up" a lot of this natural substance and so it isn't there to prevent bruising (since it is used to help digest protein).

The other thing I found indicated that vitamin C and citric bioflavenoids help prevent bruising.

Also on an herbal medicine site was this information:

"To prevent bruising, eat plenty of fresh, uncooked foods high in mineral content. Eat dark green leafy vegetables, buckwheat and fresh fruits high in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and spinach. Eat foods high in zinc, like chicken, eggs and soybeans, to strengthen blood vessels. Do not take blood-thinning pain relievers, like aspirin and ibuprofen, because they can make discoloration worse. Acetaminophen, like Tylenol, relieves pain without thinning the blood."

I can't find it now, but I also read something that indicated that loss of minerals can be a cause of bruising. Sometimes dieting (particularly low carb dieting) can cause a loss of water weight. You find you are peeing more. When that happens, you tend to pee out a lot of your minerals. That could be part of the reason for the bruising. A dietary supplement with minerals and vitamin C plus eating some of the natural (and low calorie, low carb) foods mentioned should help.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #7  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

If you decide to take an iron supplement I'd like to share some info. I've learned over my years of nursing:
1. It can cause constipation
2. It will often change the color of your BM --making it darker, even black.

I am mentioning this because I've seen patients really freak out about the change in their bowel routines without relating it to the new iron pill they are taking.

Some info. from http://www.pamf.org/patients/IronHandout.html

Iron Supplements

An oral iron supplement may be recommended for some persons. If you are not iron deficient, you should not take such a supplement, because too much iron can be harmful. There are several iron supplements available without a prescription. All may cause some gastric distress or constipation, although individual reactions may differ. You may tolerate one product better than another. Taking

iron supplements with food decreases such symptoms. All are better absorbed on an empty stomach, taken with orange or grapefruit juice or vitamin C.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #8  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't take any medications, and other than seeing more bruises than I used to, I feel fine too. They go away quickly, it's just something I noticed recently. I did a little bit of reading over at WebMD after posting this, and they said that women tend to bruise more easily than men, especially in the upper arms, thighs, etc. (which is where I'm noticing it). As people get older, they bruise more easily too, due to skin thinning, and fat loss can also make it more prevalent since you have a smaller layer of fat under the skin to protect against bruising. Nutrition can also affect it. Because they aren't massive or long-lasting, I'm ignoring the more extreme causes (various illnesses) and will see if a multi-vitamin helps.
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/205/140

My doctor always tells me I'm not getting enough Potassium...comes from bananas, green leafy veggies, etc
onlinemommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

its probably something simple like an iron deficency but please do as recommended and check with a health care professional... unexplained bruising can also signal serious health problems like cancer. (not saying you have this!! much more likely its something insignificant, but just so you don't take chances and treat yourself according to some kooks at 3fatchicks... haha) again- dont worry im sure its nothing but do ask a health care prof.

gl!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #11  

Have you been taking more aspirin than usual? I used to bruise very easily while I was on blood thinners. I also had dangerously high iron levels during that time so... who knows.....
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #12  
banned

i bruise really easily...i think it's a hereditary thing too. my mom, her sister, and their mother all had easy bruising. My mom said it has something to do with our skin...like our nerves are really close to our skin...? lol i have no idea what i'm talking about. but it probably can be normal for some people....i'm not a doctor though...so probably the best thing to do is go to the doctor and check it out. i'm sure a lot of people here are right that you're anemic or have a low potassium level or something like that. check it out so you can get rid of the bruises....i know how ugly they can be!
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote