Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #1  
Big Phat Mama

S/C/G: 353/330/160

Height: 5 10

Default Many many health issues and going to start weight loss

Program soon...havent totally decided what type of weight loss program i wanna try...i have done Atkins in the past tho, it worked okay, but my trigly are high high high and dunno about all that meat etc...anyway. I have heart issues, diabetes, hypothyroid, lung issues etc...so its gonna be slow going but i can do this...we all can....
Robwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think I'd be tryin' your basic 'cutting back fats' sort of thing to start with. That will initially cut your calories while you examine what you think you'd like to eat.
If you have a fitday.com account, you can enter in everything you'd normally eat (even use yesterday as an example) and have a good long look. You can make huge strides simply by skipping a bit of butter or fried things, choosing low fat yogurt and cheese, skipping the sugar in your coffee even.
You certainly don't need to choose a plan right off the bat. You can feel your way. It's kinda fun really ... finding what works for you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #3  
Big Phat Mama

S/C/G: 353/330/160

Height: 5 10

Thanks for the suggestions...
Robwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I too had many health issues am on a diet. I have auto-immune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, hypertension, diabetes, congestive heart failure, asthma, arthritis, and hypercholesteremia. I was told by my doctor to do a low-carb diet. I am on prednisone, water pills, blood pressure pills, urso for my liver and various vitamins and minerals. I started on Atkins in June 2005 and have lost 73 lbs. now, with only 16 more to go. I feel much better now, am not as short of breath, and my blood sugars and blood pressure are now normal. For years I didn't try to lose weight because some doctors told me it would be impossible on prednisone, but they were wrong. Good luck and don't let the health problems stop you from getting in better shape.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:27 AM   #5  
Coop class of '82

I just wanted to say a big WHOO HOO to lilybelle
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey all, you make have seem my postes a few times. I too have had many health issues, cancer twice. I am currently on prednisone so I can relate to those who are. I came acorss "8 Weeks to optimum health" by Dr. Weil while in hopital. Its very informative an worth a look. He reccommends certain foods (fish or flax seed, garlic etc) and vitamins (like vit C and Vit E) to help improve health. I just started with some of his reccemmendations and feel a bit better. Just be careful to check with your doctor regarding certain vitamins.

He also recommends a diet rich in plany based food and fish ( or flax seed if you do not like fish) he does not say that you can't eat meat just to make sure that it is organically fed meats.

Anyway hope that helped...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #7  
Mel

If you are on thyroid meds, be careful with plant-based proteins, especially soy. It interferes with the way your thyroid meds work.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote