Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 12:52 AM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Cal: Have fun in Disneyland! I saw all the constuction. They are doing alot. I havent been there in so long. Need to go next time we go down that way.

Slavika: Dry BD cake?? Alas thats no good!
Bet it was still a fun party tho!

[This message has been edited by LilyG (edited 11-27-2000).]
Old 11-28-2000, 02:27 AM   #2  
Net browser

SEE LILY if I would have made the cake it probably would have been better but ALAS for his 35th birthday I thought I would buy a really nice cake for him. I would like to explain at this time that I was very very young when he was born. LOL LOL
Talk to you all later~~~~~~I'm making some homemade soup for dinner.

[This message has been edited by slavika (edited 11-27-2000).]
Old 11-28-2000, 06:01 AM   #3  

G'day all!
A little about myself, I reside in Adelaide South Australia, dh has a new career and because this means quite a bit of travel, I have decided to retire a little earlier than I originally intended.
I have 2 children, both living on their own with their partners.
I discovered 3FC about 2 years ago and got all enthused and motivated. I thoroughly enjoyed the boards. I then started to get a bit slack and thought the B C B ers were for me and went with them to their new board. I met some great people there but got very tired of the rigidity of their philosophy and the constant religious overtones also got to me.
I am now back 'home' and have been lurking for the past few weeks and I am enjoying the more laid back style and the basic honesty which doesn't necessarily equate to whining.
I am re reading the book 'thin for life' again and I am ready to give this another GOOD go. I basically follow the WW program but do not attend any meetings. I have lost about 20 lbs since discovering 3FC 2 years ago, not exactly setting any world records
It could have been worse, so I am happy that at least I have maintained some sort of weight loss. I want to loose another 30 lbs or so (we work in kg hence I am not being very exact).
My daughter has told us that she will be getting married January 26 2002. It was originally going to be next March and I had more or less given up on trying to get to some respectable weight by then.
I now have more than 1 year to get rid of the access weight. I have learnt a lot these past few years and I am living a lot healthier life than I used to but obviously I need to improve even more.
I would love to join you guys for some additional support, I hope you won't mind having me.
Cheers
Maria
Old 11-28-2000, 08:05 AM   #4  
Net browser

WELCOME MARIA
You bet we would like you to join us, so pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of tea and chat away. My name is Slavika. I am Canadian (my ethnic background is Ukrainian)
I am married and my DH is a banker. We have one child a married son who just turned 35 yrs. I tried to explain I was very very young when I had him but the gals on this board are not buying it. We are lucky that our Son had the good sense to marry a lovely girl and we have two grandchildren, boy 7 yrs and the "Princess" 5 yrs. I reached goal weight with WW in October 1998 and try to hang on. Sometimes I'm up a bit but I do try not to let it get out of hand. Easier said then done. I still attend the WW meeting on a weekly basis and quite enjoy them. I also really like the gals on this board, they are friendly, supportative and lots of fun. Come and "see" us every day Maria and soon you will get to know us.
Once again, Welcome.
Old 11-28-2000, 11:14 AM   #5  

It sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving. My son and his new bride were home and we had my 93 yr. old mother here. It was a very nice day. I'm about out of turkey leftover ideas, so I guess I'll freeze it for a while. I did fairly well on Thursday, then totally blew it on Fri.
We went shopping and got a few presents. We were suppose to get the wedding pictures, but they weren't "checked in" so they wouldn't let us have them (after making a special trip to get them). They "forgot" to order my wallet-size that I wanted to put in some Christmas cards, so once again I am not a happy camper. My DIL chose this photographer, and it's been once mess after another. She's now wishing that she'd stayed local with the one my daughter used. Live and learn!
Our next 10 week WW session starts on the 11th and I can't decide if I'm going to re-join. I'd love to do the new program, it sounds really good, but with our yucky weather, I just don't know how many meetings I'd make it to. They make us pay the $99.50 up front. I don't know what to do..........
We put up the tree and my Dicken's village this weekend. It came out so nice. My DH and son did the outside decorating too.
We're suppose to have snow again tomorrow, so it will be so pretty. Wish I could stay home and enjoy it.
WELCOME MARIA! You'll enjoy it here
Old 11-28-2000, 09:24 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

First of all, welcome Maria. Oh boy, what fun to learn about Australia. This board isn't just fun and inspiring, but educational, as well. It sounds as if you are getting ready to commit. You have already lost 20 pounds and mulled over your choices so I think that when you commit to a program you will follow through. WW 123 is a good program for life. And you have a year to do it in. Just keep in mind how you will look as the Mother of the Bride.

Doxie - I just reread your biography. Only you know what you can do, but let me just put in my $.005 worth. You said that your biggest problem is getting discouraged when the losses slow down and you give up. They always slow down, but for $99 you can keep plugging on. I personally have known few people who don't pay and still lose. They have no incentive to face that scale and just kind of drift away. Of course, you do what you need to do. Easy to preach, hard to follow. In other words, "Physician (or Glenda), heal thyself." Lily is such a good example of a person who is quietly losing and plugging away and will make goal.

Now that I am off my high horse, just wanted to tell Slavika that she isn't alone. I have a 31-year-old, born to me as a very young child. (Yeah, right!)
Glenda

[This message has been edited by survivor (edited 11-28-2000).]
Old 11-28-2000, 10:27 PM   #7  
Life Time 2001

Welcome Maria!!!! Glad to have you with us.
Like Slavika said just join in and chat away!

Slavika: Yep you should of made that cake yourself. Then you would of enjoyed it! And I beleive you. We are all Very young.

Wow Doxie: Never heard of them making you pay 99$ up front. Maybe you should check out the At Home package. http://www.123athome.com/
Page doesnt say how much it is but there is a number you can call to find out.

Glenda: Yep I just keep plugging away.

Best get to work. Later all!
Old 11-29-2000, 03:54 AM   #8  

Thank you all for the very warm welcome, it is good to be amongst friends
It is a glorious morning here after a very hot spell (41 degrees C)we haven't even officially started summer yet.
We have recently moved to a house about 400 metres from the beach, it is just lovely. Because of the heat I had my first swim in many years a few days ago, I forgot how salty the water was
My first day yesterday really getting back on track went well and I stayed well within my points range. I also had a good look around Dotti's page for some additional tips and printed a daily journal from her site.
A 'tip' on Dotti's page to mark on the calendar every OP day with a star, I thought was a good idea and would give one an instant overview how well a week/month had gone.
Anyway I am set for another good day and again thank you for the warm welcome, I look forward to getting to know you all better
Cheers
Maria
Old 11-29-2000, 04:18 AM   #9  
Net browser

LILY YIPEE guess who was UNDER her goal weight today. "ME"
149.2#~~~~~I have been trying to get a little bit of breathing space between me and that darn goal weight so that when I go to Hawaii in February I'm not sitting right on the fence.
MARIA hi there. Oh you should just be looking out my livingroom window today. YUCK. Snow, and more snow and the streets are getting slippery too. Oh I do envy you and your wonderful weather. Way to go getting back on program. LILY our computer expert on this board set up a special place for us to record our weight, recipes and things like that. If you want, I know she will show you how to find it.
DOXIE do you mean you HAVE to prepay your WW fees or only if you want to take advantage of a special offer? We also have these special offers, but if you are not able to go to ALL the meetings then it is better to just pay your fee each time you go.
That squirrel box my brother made for me sure is handy today with all the snow. My DIL is going to make me a sign for it calling it "Sammy's Restaurant". That's the name my grandchildren call my grey fat squirrel.
Ok, gang I'll come back later to see you all.
Old 11-29-2000, 07:42 AM   #10  
Life Time 2001

WOO HOO Slavika good for you!
I will update the chart when the page comes back. There was a hardware failure and my Sisters site is completley gone at the moment. It should be back tomorrow hopefully.

Flaggies email me at [email protected] and when it comes back I will let you know about it.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:13 AM   #11  

Evening everyone,

I've been reading the board and it seems like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours was nice my DD and roommate came in for the long week-end , we did some shopping Friday and Sat. we went to Corpus to see my on her 75th brithday. I do love seeing everyone but was glad when Sunday afternoon came and everyone went home.
Maria welcome to the board we are always glad to have someone new.
Doxie I know here you have to pay up front to get the specials, are you have to pay weekly, and if you miss a meeting you still have to pay for it. It has something to do with the area you are in, not WW as a whole. I sure wish that I could pay for only the meeting that I go to.

I did pretty go over the holidays with my eating but now I have to get it together I haven't lost any weight in about 3 or 4 week, I haven't gain any back so that's not to bad, but I still have so far to go.

You all take care, will stop back by tomorrow afternoon to see how everyone is doing.
Night lela

[This message has been edited by schoolgirl (edited 11-28-2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 09:14 AM   #12  

What we have are "community" meetings at a local business. I think they were originally "At Work" meetings for their employees. They are 10 week sessions for $99.50 (paid in advance). If you miss a meeting, you are out the money. They will let you write 3 separate checks that they will deposit 1 per month, but no refunds.
I have an older "at home" version. I didn't do very well on it. I had too many questions and no answers. Anyway, I have til Monday to decide.
I had my hair permed today. It looks really good (didn't realize how flat it had gotten). We had an ice storm early this morning, but it had melted off by noon. I seldom get my hair done, so I was glad I didn't have to cancel. My DH Christmas party is Saturday night, so I knew I had to do something. Have a good evening!
Old 11-30-2000, 08:48 AM   #13  

Just finished having my lunch, salad sandwich and an apple.
It is another beautiful day here. When I hear about the snow you are having, I would love to be there and see for myself (for 5 minutes anyway )
Doxie it sounds quite a bit of money to me to join WW for 10 weeks.
One of the reasons I no longer attend WW is because of the cost, I rather spend that money on other things (like books, cd's).
I know a lot of people get great support from going to their meetings each week but I find the support on the boards just as good, if not better.
With me (and I know we are all different) it has to click in my head, once it has I am amazed how easy it is to stay OP. At the same time I also know how easy it is to stray, and in my case that is going out to dinner, having friends around for nibbles or drinks.
This time I will make a concerted effort to take charge when I am in those sort of situations. Certainly the right time of the year to put it to the test
Dh has been on a business trip this week, the week has been great. I have been catching up on my sewing, reading and playing CD's that I like to listen to The week is almost over and I look forward to picking him up from the airport tomorrow A week on my own is plenty!
Hope you all have a great day.
Cheers
Maria
PS Are you ever going to have a president??????
Old 11-30-2000, 10:56 AM   #14  
Net browser

Hi Everybody went out shopping and then for lunch with my friend today and then more shopping. I was really tired when I got home. I thought if I sat down I wouldn't get up so I immediately started wrapping all the gifts I've bought so far. I got them finished about 5 hrs later. YIKES. Dinner was just a light one, fortunately DH doesn't mind, and I was able to keep going. I meant to ask you American gals, about this "big shopping day after Thanksgiving". What's all that about? Do the stores have special sales, is that it?
What kind of gifts do you gals buy for your DH at Christmas? This year he wants to buy himself a special golf club. He does not need any clothes and only wears a minimum of jewelry, so I certainly don't have any ideas of what to get him. So far I bought him a collection of 50/60 music for his portable CD player, that's it. The last couple of years we just kind of buy ourselves something when we are in Hawaii and just have a little something for under the tree. This year I just can't think of anything interesting. He has to get the club himself, so that won' be a surprise, and he has everything else for golf.
I had a big lunch today but I am sure I walked most of it off. I guess that's it for me, I think I'll go to bed now. Night all.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:48 PM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Slavika - It is a real problem to buy for my husband too. It seems that at a certain age men tend to have the things they want and need. My boys are always asking what to get Dad. I am easy--just make it silver jewelry, country crafts, little collectibles, etc. So the boys have found a gift certificate from Lowe's Home Improvement is a great gift. My DH can go in there and just look around and dream, I guess. Must be like me at Dillard's.

You know, I did WW at an At Work location and we always had to prepay. I had even forgotten that you could pay weekly. That would be so much easier than the big chunk we had to pay up front.

We have been decorating at home for three days. DH does the outside and I do the inside, but he has to get the stuff down from the attic. He said last night that I must love to decorate, and I do. Just love decorating the big tree--no theme, just really old decorations made by my kids or bought or received at special places. Each time I pick something up, I relive the memories attached and even wipe a tear or two away. My little house looks so pretty, even if I say so myself. I just love Christmas, even though it is a real test of our WW resolve. So many parties and receptions at work. Of course, it always gets down to not being starved when you go so you can sample just a little of the goodies.

Doxie - Your photographer story sounds familiar. Sticking with the tried and true at times seems to work out the best. You have a Dickens village--sounds beautiful.

Margot - How are you doing? You are one of our greatest inspirations. In California it is probably no problem with the weather to remain a "California Walker." This time of year for me it is the treadmill or nothing.

Glenda
Closed Thread