Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

Unhappy Is this the dark side of losing weight?

There's no polite way around it- I've got gas. Painful and stinky. I've been taking Beano before I eat and Phayzme after, as needed, but it's still a problem. Anyone else dealing with this? Any advice on curbing it and/or preventing it will be appreciated.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe you could post some of the foods you are typically eating
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #3  

I found as I increased my protein intake, my gas got worse. And when I do cardio and even stretching you wouldn't want to be behind me. Thank goodness the eliptical is at the back of the gym!!!

It's a common problem, and I'm not sure there is a cure, it will probably ease off after a while.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I recently changed my diet to healthy foods and I've been getting gas pretty bad. It's gross! (But healthy!)

You can look at my FitDay to see what I used to eat and what I eat now.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #5  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

TribeFan: Have you added more fiber in your diet? If you added it too soon that could be your problem. Once you body adjust to the extra fiber it should calm down. Also, a dietician told me that if you have too many carbs at one meal it could cause gastric distress (and it does). Keep drinking your water, that should help move things along.

Take care.

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #6  
Egy Kis Lany

I had it pretty bad, too, at first....
but now it's cleared up now that my body is used to all of the healthy food that i eat.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #7  
Egy Kis Lany

I had it pretty bad, too, at first....
but now it's cleared up now that my body is used to all of the healthy food that i eat.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I have definitely heard that if you start eating things like broccoli and cabbage, when your body isn't used to it, the results are somewhat unpleasant while your body tries to figure out how to use them. But fear not, you'll get used to it!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Flatulence?
Our innards can kick up a stink (isn't that a cute euphemism?) when we change things. If you eat very well for a while, it'll settle down. But be forewarned ... if I have a horrifying off day of pizza and dairy and sugar ... it starts back up. My innards don't like to change back either.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #10  
Sweet Success

HEHEHEHE Hmmm. You could have some fun with it...

You got a significant other that you need to blow out of bed every now and then?

Sorry! I do have a wicked sense of humor.

I had always thought that people who goes on a diet (I really don't like that terminology) Prefer a change of life. Anyways I always felt like we were punished or something.

Here you are trying to be good with your diet and then BOOM! Yea ripp'n some good ones.

HEHEHE!!! I remember when I started this diet all over again how gassy I became It wasn't funny at first, but one night I went to bed and I got a little Westie ( dog) that sleeps at the foot of the bed, I let one of those things rip one night and she jumped and she was a looking quite bit startled and she was investigating the edge of the bed and under the pillow. I haven't laughed so hard in my entire life. Well it was heavily funny.

I don't have that much fun anymore because it seems to have seized. Though really I am glad it has. For a while it was hard to keep ripping one at work and like you I was taking beno and it seem all it did is slow them down.

It seems my body has settled to what ever I was eating, Except for cabbage which I don't eat a whole lot and sugar free rocky road blue bell is the worse

I soak my pinto beans for 30 minutes to an hour before I cook them and that seems to cure the whole farting issue with them.

FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

As all these ladies have said, as soon as your body adjusts to these "new" foods, and way of life, the gas will subside. I know from experience! LOL! But I was taking Beano, like you...although, it seemed to stop mine completely.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

well, i am giving up the soynuts. I bought them thinking they would be a healthy snack option. but after eating just one serving (a fourth of a cup) I was pooting up a storm in my office yesterday. And i work as a receptionist. So, i was not at all amused. Luckily, not to many people came in my office that afternoon, but I have sworn off the nuts. :0
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Oh yes, I have particular problems in yoga but I'm generally far gassier than I used to be. I know this has a direct link to the beans I eat increasingly regularly, but I'm not about to give the beans up because I love them! (I do try to eat something different before yoga though to save the person standing behind me )
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #14  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Yep, me too!!!!

Gas-X and beano helped some but not enough to keep my dh from considering sleeping in the basement!

It was really, really bad when I first changed my diet. Some of my coworkers STILL insist that it is responsible for bringing my patient out of a coma! True story, my patient had been in a coma for months and SUDDENLY woke up and said, "hey, what was that, what is that SMELL?" I was the only one in the room but my coworkers heard my patient's statement! Who needs modern medicine?!?!?

Seriously, one thing I have found that REALLY helps me is charco caps---activated charcoal caps. It "naturally absorbs toxins that cause flatus, gas". These caps are available at Walgreens and other drug stores by the supplements.

Of course, I am not a doctor but I do know what has worked very well for me ---no more suddenly awakened comatose patients and dh is back from the basement!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

The nice thing about our job Elizabeth, is that we can always blame it on the patients. "That smell? Oh I think it's Mr Smith in bed one."
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote