South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-14-2006, 03:12 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Seen any Good Movies Lately?

...and what did you do about the popcorn? I'm such a sucker for popcorn! Sometimes I'm awful and have a small one at the movies. I know how terrible that 'butter' is for us...yikes! But sometimes it's my indulgence. I do better when we do dinner and a movie and I'm full...or when I bring snacks, like soynuts, fruit, etc with me. A big water bottle (tucked into a purse or up a sleeve) is helpful too.

Haven't been to the movies lately as we're low on funds, but DH got two free tickets as a gift at work and we're trying to decide what to see or whether it's better to wait and use them later. So far, "Dick and Jane" is in the running. Any ideas?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #2  

Since I have an 8 year old, the movies I see are probably not what most childless adults would see. We saw Sharks in 3D at the IMAX this weekend. 3 third graders and there parents. The boys ate the kids packs with the popcorn and candy and I wasn't even tempted. I just don't care for movie theatre popcorn. And I had chili in the crockpot to eat right afterwards.

The movie I had seen before that was Chronicles of Narnia. It was SO well done. I really loved it. We had lunch at Wendy's beforehand and I bought a big water at the theatre so I was fine there. I just hate to spend the money on movies so I don't go often. And it's hard to find the time too!
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #3  

We saw Munich...very well done movie about the Israeli manhunt for the assassins (Black September) involved in the 1972 Olympic massacre of the israeli team.
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've not been to the cinema for years but am thinking of taking in a matinee in Kingston one of these days. It'd be a 50 minute drive each way so it's not to be taken lightly.

My gay friends, John and Rob, saw Brokeheart Mountain last weekend and loved it - of course! They were shocked at the $40 for admission and munchies.

I really want to see a feel-good movie and am not sure what I should see. Maybe I should grab a kid and see something with them.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #5  
South Beach Life Style

I find that what we all call "kids" movies now is the best choice,, one in about every 10 movies out is a good one anymore.. seems they just dont make them like they used to.. Mr and Mrs. Smith was a good action, comedy. BUT I JUST CANT FORGIVE BRAD YET FOR LEAVING JENNIFER...UGHHH....... I am somehwhat of a DVD/VHS collector,, I cant count the ones I have,, I watched Cast Away and cried again,, then I will watch behind enemy lines to get my fiesty-ness back,,,,,ohhh it just goes on and on for me!!!
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #6  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

Mr. & Mrs. Smith was great! I'm sorry, I'm not a Jen fan at all but I have always loved Angelina! I'm very happy for Brangelina!
Is "Walk the Line" any good? I'd like to see that.
King Kong was really good, too, believe it or not.
DH wants to see Final Destination 3 so I'll probably see that soon. The prequels were really freaky!
I want to see "Date Movie". It looks like the good kind of cheesy!
Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #7  
South Beach Life Style

ohhhhhh,..,,WALK THE LINE,,,, A MUST SEE, FOR ANY COUNTRY MUSIC FAN, LOVED IT,,,,,,, CANT WAIT TO BUY THE DVD WHEN IT COMES OUT.......OHHHHHHHHH GOOD ONE
Old 02-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #8  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

I'm not so much of a country music fan but I do like Johnny Cash & both of the stars of the movie. I'll be sure to see it!
Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ah, Ruth, I know what you mean...it'd be good to see a 'feelgood movie', but when it's far away (20-60 mins for us!) and expensive, it's not something to take lightly! I subscribed to Netflix last year and really have enjoyed that...though they are starting to take 3-4 days to deliver movies, so I'm exploring Blockbuster.com, where they also give you a coupon for a free movie rental at the store. Interesting!

I'd love to see Brokeback Mtn, but have no one to see it with and think it might be too sad to see alone. My friends who have seen it (gay and straight alike) all say it's fantastic and not too sad...so I might just do it. It's easier to avoid the popcorn when you're with someone, dontcha think?

Barb, maybe some adults wouldn't be interested, but I *LOVE* kids movies! I'm a HUGE Veggie Tales fan and have dragged DH to the premieres of their movies at a local movie house...we're the ONLY adults there without any kids, and I sing at the top of my lungs. Poor guy! I loved Narnia...DH hadn't read the book so he was just enthralled. I was really impressed with the job that they did! I love IMax movies...they are amazing! Now Barb, spill! How did you get the big bottle of water into the theater??? I try taking mine in my purse but after 9/11, my local theater started asking you to put big bags and purses in lockers. Hmmm...

MsCrockett, fill me in on why you buy movies. DH and I were just talking about this last night and couldn't figure out what people do with all the movies they buy. There just seem to be so many movies out there (and so many books and so many tv shows...and so much housework and things to do in the community, and so many craft projects...etc, etc, etc...) to see and do that we can't figure out how anyone has time to see a movie again. Do you just collect them? When do you watch them again, if you do? It's something neither of us really understood but would like to!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #10  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I just saw the best movie over the weekend-Curious George!!! It was so cute and I couldn't help comparing that impish little monkey to my little Calvin.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was May 9th, 2000!! It was on my scheduled due date for my first son. And yes I was totally surprised at the prices for a kids movie matinee!!
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #11  

Right after Christmas, I saw several movies and didn't really love any of them -- except for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (which I actually saw twice in the theater). My sister and I also saw Memoirs of a Geisha (boring, but the book was great); Rumor Has It (awful); and Chronicles of Narnia (I enjoyed the movie, but have never been able to get into the books). I won free movie tickets in a radio contest recently and plan to go see Capote, Walk the Line and Brokeback Mountain (by myself, probably, I don't much mind seeing movies alone).

Laurie, you asked MsCrockett to comment on why she buys movies, but I'm going to as well I buy DVDs because a) I like to rewatch favorite movies b) I have procrastination and distraction issues and can never manage to return rentals on time. So, I end up paying just as much for the movie as I would have buying it. Plus, I pass on the DVDs I buy to my parents and my sisters to watch. Typically, I try not to buy a DVD unless I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Often, I'll wait for it to show up on cable and then TiVo it.

However, I have well over 200 DVDs, which made a recent move that much more complicated! Some haven't even made the journey from my parents' house.
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #12  

Walk the line was a great movie. I want to see Brokeback MOuntain as well. It has caused so much controversey, i just have to see what the fuss is all about.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #13  
South Beach Life Style

Beachgal~ The buying movies thing, well, I can not go to sleep without the TV on, and years ago , while growing up I , I had a tv and vcr in my room, and my Father, when he was home Had to control the darn TV remote in hand , even while napping, My Mother is a book reader, so I got used to buying movies so I would be able to watch TV at night and so on,,,,,,, and now it is a habit (of sorts). When my budget allows, I will shop for a movie, mostly one I have never seen before, or one that I just loved and would watch again (like Practical Magic), I could put A satelite tv in my bedroom, But that is my routine now... hope this made since,,,,
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #14  

Ruth - I have to confess that while they don't search bags at our theatre, there is no way a water bottle would fit in mine. I just spent the small fortune they charge to buy it at the theatre. I figure if DH can buy his large popcorn then we can afford to buy a big bottle of water (which I share with Brian anyway).

As far as buying DVDs, we buy a few like Star Wars ones and Harry Potter ones that I know we will watch multiple times but are also too intense for Brian to see in the theatre. Some movies are just too much with the loud sound and big screen but not too scary when watched at home. We're waiting for the DVD to see the latest Harry Potter for just that reason.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #15  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I haven't been to the theater since Hitch or Wedding Crashers, but I rented Hostage with Bruce Willis and rather enjoyed that.

I really dig kids movies. I just bought myself Ice Age on Friday (and of course it was on TV Saturday night.) I loved Monsters, Inc, The Incredibles, Shrek and Shrek 2, Finding Nemo, ANYTHING Veggie Tales (CEBUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!) and pretty much any kid's movie out there. I can't wait to rent Kronk's New Grove or whatever it is, the sequel to Emperor's New Groove. I LOVED that movie. Kronk is the best!!!
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote