WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #1  

Default Can I lose Eating SmartOnes Everyday?

Hi,

I've returned to WW after many, many years away and I am counting points. To get started I bought SmartOnes entrees for lunch and dinner and the ice cream bars for dessert. (I also eat fruits, milk and fresh veggies.) I have been eating 28 points.

My main question is- Can I lose just as much eating SmartOnes and Ice cream as I would if I cooked and avoided a dessert every meal? Is a point a point? Could I choose 4 ice creams instead of dinner? It's not healthy, but is it the same point-wise and weightloss-wise?

I'm not trying to play games or fail, it's just been really hard to deal with fixing food and not eating candy to start. Do I need to feel guilty about eating 4 fudge bars on a bad day if I don't go over my points?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #2  

Default Smart Ones

If your feeling quilty than you have answered your own question. This would be a good topic to bring up at you WW meeting because all "points" aren't the same. Take care
Ginnysgirl57
Old 02-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcarol
My main question is- Can I lose just as much eating SmartOnes and Ice cream as I would if I cooked and avoided a dessert every meal? Is a point a point? Could I choose 4 ice creams instead of dinner? It's not healthy, but is it the same point-wise and weightloss-wise?
Yes a point is a point and weight loss is just having less calories taken in than you expend. However do you want to be thin or healthy along with being thin? There are 8 Great Health Suggestions to follow for health and doing so will make you more satisified. If you are getting all those in along with your SmartOnes and treats that is fine. However the frozen and processed meals are loaded with sodium and tend to make many retain water. I eat them minimally and make my own frozen meals from recipes and leftovers.

Quote:
I'm not trying to play games or fail, it's just been really hard to deal with fixing food and not eating candy to start. Do I need to feel guilty about eating 4 fudge bars on a bad day if I don't go over my points?
This is a thought you'll overcome. It is hard at first because well fixing food seems like a chore. So find a cookbook that is 5 items or less and/or a 'Fixes' in 15 minutes cookbook. Eating candy tastes good and is sweet...try substituting your fruit for candy.

You can still have treats. I do almost daily.

I'll post the info on where to find the 8 Great Health Guidelines and my post on Points Pies next to help you.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

For onlines here is how to get to them:

You may visit the Web site and read 8 Great Health Guidelines. After you log in, it can be found in the Select a Resource dropdown menu located in the Shortcuts toolbar on the left hand side of the page. Click on Weight Loss Topics of the Week in the My Plan section of the dropdown menu. On the next page you will see the View Topics Archive link in the box on the upper right side of the page. Click the link to be brought to the topics archive. 8 Great Health Guidelines is the first first link on the archive list.

For e-tools and meeting people it is page 34 in your Week 1 booklet.

1) Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day (in general 1 serving is 1/2 a cup except for 100% juices where it is 3/4 cup or leafy veggies where it is 1 cup).

2) Choose whole-grain foods such as brown rice, oats whenever possible.

3) Include 2 servings of milk products (which in addition to 1 cup of milk is: 16 fl oz unsweetened cappuccino, 2 cups cottage cheese, 1 1/2 oz hard (think parmeasan) or semi-soft (think American) cheese, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1 packet reduced calorie dairy shake, 12 fl oz unsweetened latte, 12 fl oz fast food milk shake, 1 cup fat-free sugar-free made with skim milk pudding, 1 cup yogurt or 1 serving W/W smoothie)...3 servings if you are a teen or over 50.

4) 2 tsp healthy oils (such as canola, olive, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed)

5) Ensure you get enough protein

6) Limit sugar and alcohol

7) Drink at least 6 glasses of water (8 ounce glasses and 1/2 of those can be decaff, no alcohol beverages such as juice or milk)

8) Take a multi-vitamin daily
Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Points Pies

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day
Old 02-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

There are many cookbooks with 5 ingredients or less that make cooking easy for new stuff however, get a George Foreman gill (great for grilled veggies and boneless meats) and takes about 3-5 minutes to cook a piece of meat (same time as heating a frozen meal), canned or frozen veggies take less time than cooking a frozen meal to heat. Buy instant rices and potatoes. I get Minute Rice Instant Brown Rice and White Rice (usually I make real rice in my steamer - takes about 5 minutes in the microwave to cook), I get Idaohan Instant Mashed Potatoes (they have many varities) and they are 4 points a cup and in the microwave take 4 minutes to cook.

You'll also find that if you cook yourself you get more food the same or less points.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

I eat a smart ones meal every day 5 days a week. Actualy I take them for my dinner meal at work. The other 2 meals a day I eat regular meals. I'm still loosing 2 pouns a week. I think moderation is key.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #8  

Thanks for the replies. Some great ideas and information. Please understand I am not "lazy" about cooking...I will later. The problem is my cravings and appetite right now. I didn't want to be tempted to overeat even healthy food so I was doing a Weight Watcher version of ...Well, I guess Nutrisystem. The dinners are single serving, points counted. Leave the kitchen.

Someone brought up the sodium in each meal. Very good reminder to start cooking soon. Plus, I do realize I must change my ways and just eat healthy and not overeat. But, think back to when you first started and were in bad shape eating-wise. I am thrilled I've been without candy or reg. Dr. Peppers and fast food two weeks. I will move from packaged eating to cooking soon! Thanks!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
T...The problem is my cravings and appetite right now.
Eating real food and cooking for yourself is the best way to control the cravings and appetite.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #10  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

wwcarol - it is hard to change your routine but if you start making small changes it will come. Try making one meal per week to start out with. I'm sure once you taste the difference of home cooking v instant meals it will encourage you to cook a bit more.

Things that might make cooking easier:

Precut bagged salad
Precut bagged veggies
Stirfry kits (Green Giant brand has some)
Pre-cut meats
Boneless skinless chicken -great baked, cut into stir fries, salads etc. and the cooking time is less than with bone in chicken
Mrs. Dash seasonings
Montreal Steak spice
Old 02-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #11  
Lost in NY

At first I thought the pre-packaged meals were the way to go. But I've since figured out if I put my own food together, I get more food for the same point value. But I can understand your get-out-of-the-kitchen theory. It could be true for a time that you would find that helpful. But in terms of hunger - real food cooked and prepared yourself is much more satisfying.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #12  

I also battle with this issue. By the time I get off work and go to the gym I just don't feel like cooking. It just seems easier to eat a Lean Cuisine or WW meal. The only problem is that I am then eating 2 frozen meals a day.

At my last meeting I purchased a few cookbooks, so maybe this will help motivate me to cook more.
Closed Thread