Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #1  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Default When You're Sick...

Do you even try to maintain your exercise / food goals? Or do you let the way you feel determine what you're going to do?

I'm feeling sick as a dog, and have been for the past few days -- congestion, stuffiness, all that good stuff. Everything tastes like cardboard except for creamy cold stuff (yes, had some ice cream for dinner last night ). I've dropped a few pounds this week, but I'm not eating like I normally try to at all. I'm especially weak in getting protein into me (according to fitday, I've only been averaging about 15% protein, with carbs out the wazoo between 50 and 65%). I've been drinking alot of tea with honey to soothe my throat. Exercise isn't even an option at the moment, I'm exhausted. I've been going through Dayquil like it's going out of style, and I have no idea what that's doing to my calorie counts, but I don't know what else to do since I can't afford to see a doctor right now, and it's just a nasty-bad cold-type thing.

I'm trying not to stress about not being perfect, but I'm just wondering -- what do y'all do when you're sick? Do you just ride it out and start over with better choices when you're feeling better? Or do you really try to stick to your guns even when you're sick?
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #2  

I've had a bad cold this week, and found that running one day loosened everything up and actually cleared my head and chest faster! I do tend to just keep going - it's the way I am. I've been aiming at 1500 minutes exercise per month and didn't ease up when I knew I was ill. But I think it's upto the individual and how they feel - for some people, resting up and being kind to yourself is the way you naturally are... then go for it! If, like me, you find exercise gives you a high and a distraction from feeling ill - then that's fine too!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Whenever I am feeling ill I definately ease up on the exercise. But I generally continue following healthy eating as per usual.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was sick this past week, though not horribly so. I did exercise still, but not to the same intensity. I think if I had been sicker, I would have eased up more, but it was just a cold.

As for eating, I focus more on foods that will be good for the sick me (lots of vit c, tea and soup for my throat, etc). If I don't get every nutrient I normally do, I don't worry so much, and I am not going to NOT have medicine (or cough drops) out of concern for calories. I also figure that when I'm sick I'm less likely to eat a lot of fatty foods and go over my limit.

As for ice cream and congestion, the downside may be that dairy has been implicated in the creation of mucus, not ideal when you are trying to get rid of congestion.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

It really does vary by individual, and the level of sickness that you have. As for me, I definately don't break diet when I'm sick, as the thought of cheating freaks me out (for fear of gaining). I'm on South Beach, btw. As for the exercise, I've found that it makes me FEEL better if I exercise when I'm sick. Granted, I don't go as hard or as long, but I still do something. It keeps me in a good mindset, and makes me not feel as crappy!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #6  
LLV

I keep up with it regardless. If I'm REALLY sick, I don't worry about counting calories because I usually don't feel like eating anyway.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I was ill for a week and quit exercising (felt like I couldn't move anyway!), but kept up with the eating program although my body craved comfort food. Didn't give into the cravings, however, and I lost 3.2 lbs. that week even though I wasn't exercising.

Hope you feel better soon!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes *mild* exercise can help you feel better, but if you feel too bad even to take a walk, don't do it. As for food, you can still make healthy choices. Chicken soup is just great, as are lots of other soups. Ice cream... well... if you're at your goal weight, ice cream for dinner when you're sick might be "allowed," but mostly that's just an indulgence, isn't it? If you want to lose weight, anyway. Also, ice cream can increase mucus production, and the sugar isn't that great to have. BUT! That's all in the past, now. Keep on keeping on! I hope you feel better soon!

JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote