Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #1  
here I go again...

Default Backsliding...

Okay, embarrassing confession time. I have been totally backsliding for the past week. I've been eating too much and exercising too little. I feel like I'm always hungry, and that I have lost control. I don't even know if I'm really hungry, but I can think of 100 things that I want to eat, and half of the time, I just give in! I eat a really healthy breakfast, and pack a nutritious lunch to take to work. But lunchtime comes, and I don't want any of it! And there is always someone at work that is going out to get lunch, so I always end up getting something else. So not only am I eating greasy lunch, I'm totally wasting my money buying healthy groceries...!!

I feel like every story I read on here is so positive and inspirational, and I'm just no good in comparison.

I'm in need of some serious advice on how to get over this self-defeating behavior. My diet-buddy just found out she's pregnant, and has thrown all plans to the wind, so that option is gone now...

I'm sorry for whining you guys, but I figured if anyone out there will understand, it will be one of you great people.

Thanks for listening!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Somehow, lunch that is ordered often seems more appealing than something you've made yourself. Maybe you could skip bringing your lunch and order something healthy like a grilled chicken sandwich with a salad. After a while you might get sick of the restaurant food (not to mention the expense) and go back to your homemade lunches.

Obviously it is ideal to make things yourself, but it isn't always realistic (or fun!). Personally I eat restaurant food almost all the time... I live in a student residence and I'm definitely no cook... and I still manage to eat pretty healthily unless I choose not to. So enjoy yourself, do what will make you happy.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

ack. i feel like i could have written your post. i have been having such a hard time getting back on the wagon- so to speak. my wieght has creeped up higher than my ticker but i refuse to change it. ha.

i dont know if this will help you at all- but i think ive been eating foods that induce cravings- sugary, fatty, and carbs galore. (because theyre cheaper, easier to make, and they dont go bad...) i think i need to buy more fruits and veggies and protien and say screw the $$.

ahh anyways sorry- i just want to give you a big (((hug))) and say hang in there! its tough but you can do it!

Good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #4  

It's all about choices. Your the adult now. If you don't want to lose weight, you don't have to. If you want to eat greasy food you can. Nothing is banned nothing is off limits it's just choices.

When I put it like that to the three year old part of my brain that has tantrums about weight loss, it seems easier to manage. Why don't you have your greasy lunch once a week. That's better than every day. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I had a good day yesterday, but all day I was thinking about chocolate. So last night I had a 300 calorie Mars Bar. But I was in control. I made the choice to have it, and today I will have a good food day and exercise day, and at the end of the week that one little blip won't make a difference.

Don't beat yourself up, but don't kid yourself either. You are the one in the driving seat, go on and give yourself some credit, and get this thing done!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I know it's way easier said than done, but you just have to tell yourself NO. Even if it's just a "little", it's bad for you to backslide.

You can do this...we all can. We just have to be "tough love" with ourselves!

Just keep at it, girl, and you'll get right back on plan!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #6  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Red face

Same here, I was pretty much playing pig this past weekend. But the important thing is not to dwell too much on it. You can't change the past, just refocus yourself and start again.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We all have off times. Back sliding ... cheating ... falling off the wagon ... call it what you will. Here's the trick ... as long as you move forward more than you move backward .... you're getting somewhere, right?

I'm not sure where in this thread I read something about calorie counting but ... the beauty of it is that you can eat those things you want. You just need to add them in. Sometimes it's a kick in the head and sometimes it's not as bad as you think.

How to get started again? Try ... try more ... try again.
Does anyone remember the name of that book by Anne Fletcher about the folks who've successfully lost weight and kept it off for years? A huge number of them just had to keep trying and starting over.

You can too. We can help you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #8  

After a year of graphing my weight loss I have what amounts to a sketch of mountains. Up and down, up and down. But, like Susan said, there are more ups than downs, and the peaks are much higher than the valleys. As a matter of fact, I am currently whittling away at 7 pounds that weren't here a couple of months ago. Don't be fooled into thinking that because there are so many positive posts that we aren't all struggling with the exact same issues as you. We might not all face them at the same time, and we might all handle them in different ways but there are some weight loss obstacles that are universal. And the occasional backsliding is one of them.

So, falling off the wagon isn't really a problem. It is how you handle it that will make or break your overall success. Kyrakee is absolutley right. It is all about choices. So you made a mistake. CHOOSE to forgive yourself and move on. Isn't that how you would handle making a mistake in any other part of your life? I mean you wouldn't quit driving all together just because you had a little fender bender. You wouldn't quit a job just because you were late once or twice. You wouldn't drop out of school over a D or two. Approach weight loss the same way and you'll get to where you want to be. Really!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #9  

Smile

Hi there.

We all struggle, and have had this battle before I'm sure. I like how kykaree put it. You have to basically look at it a certain way. It is hard to make yourself do something that is good for you with all that bad yummy stuff coming at you. It reminds me of doing the ski machine while I watch TV, and a juicy burger pops up on the screen. I feel like a salivating animal and have to ask myself if it's really worth it, and sometimes the "three year old" voice is super loud and almost drowns out that adult voice of reason.

In this lunch situation... honestly, I would go out to my car and eat. I would explain I'm not trying to be rude, but I need some air. I would eat my healthy lunch while I stroll, or eat it in the car and then stroll till my lunch break was over. For someone like me, it is always on my mind anyway- so until I get control it will also have to be out of sight.

Best of luck to you in this battle.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #10  
here I go again...

I guess I really just need to put on my big girl pants and deal with this. Now where did I put them...? Hehe. Thanks for the input everyone!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #11  

Without those 8 pounds hopefully your big girl pants will be too big. That'll be motivating!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #12  

This has been one of the hardest things for me to learn...to celebrate what I have accomplished instead of getting down on myself for any mistakes. I have not had a very good week myself, but I think I know by know it is just a "phase" I am going through, and as soon as I can get over myself ( probably as soon as I get TOM any day now ) It will probably be better.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #13  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

I was gonna make a thread asking who really screwed up this week. I tried to get back into the good habbits, last week I exercised twice and vowed to exercise 3-4 time this week. I did once, and I was supposed to last night, but after work, I just wanna chill with my hubby and watch tv. I was so tired last night, so I was just like, I'll do it tomorrow.

I have to really get back on my grind! I'm gonna recommit myself next week. This weekend, when I have time and money, I'm gonna stock up on healthy food, and look for an exercise video to mix things up! You gotta motivate yourself sometimes and remember all the reasons you hate being fat!
MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #14  

Mia! Make a new thread in 'support' and call it something like 'making a plan for Mia'
tell us your weight, height, goals, what you're eating etc. And we'll help you get your head back on straight. OK?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #15  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

ABakerchick17 - what is your "nutritious" lunch? I found if I was packing something I didn't want to eat to work, I'd definitely want to go out for something tastier. Find a healthy version of something you'd really like so you will look forward to it, and it will be less tempting to go out.

Also, I think you need to look at why you are wanting to go out day after day. It is pricey (I think you said all that money spent on healthy food was a waste? No! the money spent on the greasy food was the waste ) but are you just wanting to socialize with coworkers? Is it a desire to get out of the office? Maybe you could go for a walk instead, or plan to go out with coworkers but plan ahead of time on the healthiest option you can get there, or make time to socialize with them in the lunch room after they get back. Just some thoughts, I hope it works out. It sounds like some of the nutritious and healthy foods you are forcing yourself to buy are things you don't really like. Healthy doesn't have to be pure vegetables and fruits. I'm still working on those. Find something tasty and fit it in your day and you will be all right. Also, eating more protein(lean meats, etc) might help curb some of your cravings.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote