Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #1  

Default Muscle and Fluff, What To Do?

So I’ve been struggling along for awhile now and thought I’d put it down in a post to see if you all have any input.

I’ve been banded since April, 2004. I’ve lost 86 pounds and I love my band. It has changed my life in so many ways. The problem is that weight-wise, I’m just stuck. This isn’t just any old plateau - it’s a long, long, 9-month plateau. I’ve tried all kinds of things to unstick this bad boy, but so far nothing has worked for long. I tried Weight Watchers, which was somewhat helpful, but ultimately left me at this same spot. I just finished doing a couple weeks of almost all protein. The problem with that is two things: I workout like a mad woman, and when I don’t eat any carbs, I feel much weaker at the gym; and at my doctor’s appointment yesterday, they strongly discouraged me from this diet. They really want you to have a more balanced diet than I was doing.

I workout six days a week, doing about 30-40 minutes of cardio and 45-50 minutes of weight work. It’s a very well-balanced, advanced workout. I’m really proud that I’m able to do this and it’s kicking my butt (in a good way). I understand that muscle is denser than fat and therefore can cause a weight gain, but at some point I hope to actually see results on the scale and in my clothes size. I had a bone density test yesterday and they also did a body composition scan. Basically, I have more muscle than most people my size, but am still quite fat.

I got a fill yesterday, which I hope helps some, but am at a loss as to what else to try? Any ideas?

In theory, I’ve done what I set out to do. I’m very healthy (except for the excess weight) and starting to move along with my life. I no longer have high blood pressure, I was borderline diabetic, and had a wealth of other complaints. Now I’m very healthy, except for the weight. I still need to lose 40 pounds or so. I’m doing things I haven’t tried before and exploring all kinds of options. That’s all great, but damn it, I want to look better than I do. So, advise away my Chickie friends! I could use some help here!

Your still-fluffy, but very buff underneath it all,
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #2  

Chickadee, I hate to say it because I wouldn't want to hear it myself in the middle of my own frustration, but you have to give your body a little space. I think we all go through periods, and some of them extended, of adjustment to huge changes. The body will ultimately do what is self preserving.

I'd try this perhaps. For a very limited period of time and you decide how long that will be from the outset, UP your calorie intake to just where you won't gain. Expect your weight to go up as much as a few pounds over the first little bit and then level out. Eat as much as you can for that period of time while maintaining. In a sense, tricking your body into thinking it can let its 'starvation' guard down. Don't do this any longer than you need to and I'm thinking that could be anywhere between 2-6 weeks.

Then go back to a very structured approach to your reduction program.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #3  

That sounds like a good idea hubs. Chickadee, did your doctor offer any suggestions? Hmmm, the first thing I would say is talk to your doctor, but you seemed to have done that. Did he check your thyroid? I've heard that excess skin could weigh a lot after people who have had WLS have lost weight. Could a lot of it be excess skin that you might have to have surgery to remove?

Whatever you decide to do, just know that you are a lot healthier than you probably ever have been and that you should be proud of what you've accomplished so far. Sorry I don't have anything else to offer.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #4  

I thought about the excess skin issue too invisigoth and was wondering whether that has been factored in.

Great minds huh?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #5  

Good suggestions ladies!

When I was talking to the NP yesterday, she said exactly the same thing hubs said about just giving it some time. My reaction is, "Geez Louise, how freakin' patient do I have to be?" Patience is not one of my many virtues, but I think I have no choice in this perhaps! Upping my calories sounds like a good idea actually. I think I'll try that, keeping in mind that ice cream calories aren't quite as good for me as other calorie forms, darnit!

On the skin thing - you betcha I have skin to be removed and will be looking into a full blown tummy tuck/panni removal. But, trust me, it ain't 40 pounds worth! I informed my DH last night that we need to start figuring out now how to pay for this. He was so happy (not)!

And, good thought on the thyroid, but I've been on medication for that for years. I basically have a non-functioning thyroid. A positive effect of my weight loss so far is that my medication level has been dropped from the most they could possibly prescribed to a bit less. That made me happy.

I really appreciate your comments. It's so nice to know that I'm not in this alone!

Chicka-fluffy-dee
Old 02-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #6  

Thyroid. What meds are you on? Armour is something you may want to discuss with your physician since it works on both T3 and T4 levels and has become the preferred medication for many.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #7  

Wow. Great suggestions. I just googled Armour and will definitely be talking to my PCP about this. I've been on Synthroid for over 20 years and have always had a little trouble with my T3 levels.

I love this forum! Thanks!

Chickadee
Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

chickadeedeedear.... you have gotten some wonderful responses. and i'd be thinking about flipping your workout times - a little longer on the cardio, a little less on the weights.

notice i didn't say STOP THE WEIGHTS - but maybe hold steady on the weight poundage and decrease the reps. the goal: maintain your muscle mass, not build it more. and increasing the cardio might shake up your body into doing something...

much love, darlin
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote