Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #4

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had my nap in front of the TV and now it is time to think about going to bed. No wonder the evenings fly by! It was a good day at school . . . . the BD yahoo is in Chicago for a week. We're hoping he stays there! I got a perm after school and that's been my day.

'Gma' -- When you order yarn and also use yarn that you bought in the store, do you have trouble with the dye matching? I have a sweater that my mom knit for my dad when he was in service. It is made out of wool yarn and wouldn't begin to fit anyone in my family, but I just could bear to part with it. I'll bet your sister is really looking forward to coming for a visit!

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday! I have a 7:30 staff meeting in the morning so I am going to get ready for bed. Maybe I'll make it there in time to watch the news.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies! Upset tummy has kept me up and I am about ready to go back to bed, but I think I will stay up until Jack gets up then go back to bed and have it all to myself (well, except for the cat and dog I mean! ) Speaking of the cat, he is on my list big time. I have a coffee table with three wooden "basket" style drawers underneath where I keep all my knitting supplies. He has found he likes my new yarn so much, he has taught himself to pull out the drawer part way and he takes the yarn up to the bedroom. He got 3 skeins upstairs this morning before I caught him and had one of them under the bed. Had to wake up Jack to get it away from him. I don't know if it is the color or the softness of it, but it is the only stuff he has ever touched and there is a bunch of stuff in the drawers.

Jean: A lot of the new yarn has what they call no dye lots so you don't have to worry about it, but yes if it is a dye lot you can have a problem matching. In this case, my yarn is such you don't have to worry about it (see pic of the beginning of my sweater) even if it had a dye lot. I try to buy no dye lot yarns so I don't have a problem if I run out.

I have to start dragging in the paint to do touchups before my sister gets here. I usually do this every spring but guess I will start early. I have painted white kitchen cabinets (they were BLACK!) and I have to go back and repaint every year because they stain so easily and I redo the formerly black countertops too as they tend to chip (they are a dark blue now) I also touch up here and there where there is marks I can't get off by washing, messed up places by furniture moving and the like. My extra bedroom is completely wallpapered in hot air balloons (it was my grandson's nursery when he was born, but he never slept in it) and so it looks really nice. No one goes in there except the cat and myself to get shoes I have stored in there so it stays pretty nice. We have to hurry around and get a bed in there and I want to put a new tv in there as I have the dsl receiver for it, I just have to hook it up to something.

You gals have a good day. I am going back to bed!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-22-2006 at 05:35 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #3  
Web Nana

Jean, To answer your question about my SIL. He was relocated to Texas and they had been down there almost 3 years, their baby was just two when

Frank had a sudden heart attack and died. No previous illness. He was 37. Cathy has had a difficult 10 years but is coming thru it OK. Her oldest is 21 and Cam is 12. I think they are what keep her going.

It is snowing here today but not hard. There has been a coastal storm and all they have been showing on TV is coastal towns and the astrinomical high tides and their effect on homes in low lying areas. This is when I am glad I don't live near the water.

Faye, Your sweater is a lovely color and when it is finished you will get much use from it. It looks like a very soft yarn. Your good!! By the way we are going to the Commissary tomorrow! UGH! But it must be done. It will be the first of the month and I am sure it will be busy....wish me luck.

Gloria in MA
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It doesn't seem possible that January is almost over and done with. The days sure fly by when we're having fun! I went to tan after school and am beginning to see some results.

Bob got up this morning and was covered with hives again! He got into the doctor first thing this morning; the doctor took one look at him and said,
"three strikes and you're out of here!" There is an allergist who comes to town on Tuesdays and they got Bob in to see him this morning. He took one look at the size and looks of the hives and said Bob is reacting to something in his environment. So, before they can do any allergy testing they have to get rid of the hives. Now he's on Clariton, Prednisone, plus another prescription that I can't pronounce let alone spell. He goes back in two weeks for the allergy tests. The doctor promised Bob will be hive free when we leave for Maui. Bob went back to work and told his secretary he was going to have to move out . . . if he is allergic to the cat he thinks I will keep the cat.

'Gma' -- I hope you got some more sleep today! Your sweater looks beautiful . . . so soft! Maybe you could pacify Butterscotch with some yarn of his very own. We had a cat who would lick anything wool or soft feeling like sweaters. She would lick until she had a hole and then move to another spot and lick some more. The vet thought maybe she had been taken away from her mother too soon. She was part Siamese and we thought she was part dog . . . she would follow us to the neighbors and sit by their patio door until we would come home. She also liked to chase balls when the kids would play out in the yard.

Gloria -- What a tragic thing for your daughter and family! It would be a challenge to raise children alone. Is this the daughter that is the surgical nurse? We have no snow . . . zip, none, nada. When we went to see the kids this weekend, we saw tiny bits where it was protected from the sun and wind. We really have had a strange winter! It's 45 degrees as I type . . . got up to 60 today and that's 35 degrees above 'normal' according to the TV weatherman. Think of how glad you will be when you get home from the Commissary tomorrow!

I need to keep moving. I have a stack of junk mail to sort through and pitch. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #5  

Good morning girls! It is cool this morning, but supposed to be in the 60's today so maybe I will get my behind out and have a nice walk.

Gloria: How awful for your family. What a horrible shock it must have been and the babyhardly knew her daddy. UGH, I forgot today is the beginning of the month as I am going tomorrow. It will not only be filled with Navy people, but the older folks will have gotten their SS checks! It will be bumper to bumper scooter traffic! I have to go as we need groceries again! I should have gone last week and we were gone.

Jean: I have a big I Love Lucy bag that holds all my current projects and I shoved it on top of my yarn to keep him out of it. I do have a couple small balls of leftover so maybe I will give him one and see how it goes. I have the front of the sweater almost done and so far so good. I told my dil I hope when I sew it up it doesn't look like Frankenstein's monster! Hope they can get poor Bob fixed up! He must be in agony.

My hands are swollen this morning and I wonder why. I haven't had a lot of salt. Must be just early morning.

I guess I better hop to it. I want to get the bathrooms cleaned upstairs and get the upstairs dusting and have to get that laundry in the dryer.

Have a good day

Faye
Old 02-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've been to bell choir practice -- we play Sunday so what do we practice?????? A 'tune' we are playing in March because the sub was in the building for something else and stopped by. Some of us were not too pleased; we wanted to practice what we're playing Sunday and leave. They were trying to figure out who played what bell when and that could have been done beforehand or afterwards. Not much is newsy from my corner of the world tonight. I am ready for Friday!

'Gma' -- Bob could tell a big difference in his hives last night after being on the first day's worth of meds. They will do the allergy testing on the 14th which is also his birthday. I'm thinking it has to be mold from the office carpet being wet for over a week and/or dust. We do have 'some' dust around here! I had to chuckle at your "bumper to bumper scooter traffic!" I hope it turns out to be better than you are anticipating.

I have to get the wastebaskets together because tomorrow is garbage day. I also need to change the furnace filter so I'd better get moving. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa where it is 45 degrees tonight!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #7  

Morning gals! It is a pleasant 52 already this morning though we are going to have rain all day. I just dropped Fortune off at the groomers. He is pretty nasty smelling and needs his nails clipped. I am too chicken to do it. He will come home all clean, clipped and smelling good and that will last for a couple weeks probably.

Jean: I would have been miffed too. They used to do that when I belonged to church choir. It was one of the reasons I quit. They would have individual practices while you sat there and waited! Glad Bob is feeling on the mend. Kelly had to have allergy testing when she was in high school. Takes a little while to do, but it is all for the best. I would bet mold too! I think everyone has a mold allergy, just some adapt to it easier than others. I cough with mold. Better than hives even if it is uncomfortable. i took Jack to work this morning and got home to discovery Butterscotch had been at work in my yarn drawer again. The drawer was completely out and there were two skeins on the floor in front of the tv. Little stinker. He can open doors too. He either bumps them and if they don't latch tight like the spare room door, they come open or he puts his paw upside down under the door and pulls, which is what he does with the coat closet in the living room. He is a pretty smart cookie.

Oh goody, I am going to the commissary in an hour. I just can't wait. Not only do I get to deal with the nuts on the road, I get to deal with the crankys in the store! I have to make sure I am not one of the crankys!

I have started the front of my sweater and so far so good, but haven't gotten to the tricky part yet. I made it long so it will fit more like a tunic and cover my big behind and gut. I can't wait to get it finished and see if it looks ok. I had someone on a knitting forum help explain the hard part to me.

Well, better finish up here at the house and get some breakfast before I head out for the day.

TTFN

Faye
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #8  

Good morning girls! Looks like the rain may have finally moved out but it is still pretty cloudy. It is in the 50's this morning though.

Yesterday was a nightmare with the rain and all. Seemed like everytime I would get out of the car or out of a store it would start pouring rain, then let up while I was driving. I got soaked at least 4 times yesterday.

The commissary was what it usually was but it wasn't busy, which surprised me and no line. For those of you who have never experienced a military commissary, some of them have one line you stand in then they direct you to the register to go to either with a live person or ours has an electric sign that dings and lights up which register to go to and says something like, "register 3 is open" With that being said, you could be miles from the registers on a busy day. They were low on stuff though and there were a lot of empty shelves. I haven't quite firgured out what day to go when they have the most stuff!

I bought some more yarn to make my sister a sweater like the one I am knitting for myself, but different yarn. It is going to be bulkier and I really love it. I started it and am working both of them on and off. Her birthday is April 10 and she lives in CA so I have to get it done. I will post a pic when it is done. It is a beautiful bluish green color.

I found out from Jack yesterday the city is probably going to take back two of the vacation days they gave to everyone, plus put a limit of 24 used sick days a year cap even if you have 300 banked, which I think is rotten. In other words, if someone ends up having to have heart surgery let's say, after the 24 days are used up, they have to go on UNPAID family leave even if they have enough sick days stored. I am not a union person, but I hope they stomp this one right into the ground. That is awful. Their concession was that instead of 75, you can sell back 120 days when you retire. I told Jack to bank those days and stick it to em when we retire. That would be anywhere from $25,000-$45,000 ! Boy could we go on a Vegas vacation then compliments of the City of Memphis!

Well gals, I need to go and get some work done. You all have a great day today!

Faye
Old 02-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! We went to an "all the walleye you can eat" restaurant tonight with another couple, so I am late getting in here. I had the day from he** at school -- the teacher I work most with was sick and I was going to sub for the half day of 17 minute classes. It seems the office hired a sub for a teacher who wasn't gone and he waltzed into my room during 2nd hour and announced he was the sub. I can't stand him -- he is arrogant, thinks he knows it all, and is a poor comedian etc., etc., etc. He likes to talk sports and I finally spoke up and said, "this isn't a football class and the students had assignments to work on!" I was totally po'd by the time 11:30 rolled around. I grabbed my coat and purse and told him the door was locked, so shut it on his way out! It's a good thing I didn't have to have my blood pressure taken! We spent the afternoon wasting time rehashing how to get students to do their assignments on time, assign less detention, etc. The ideas all sound good but to get them to work is another story. I was ready for a stiff drink by the time I finally left at 4:30. There is a pile waiting on my desk and I don't even care! I am subbing (I think!) Mon. and Tue. for the same teacher as her daughter just had a baby.

'Gma' -- Our weather has turned cold again . . . 19 degrees as I type with a north wind. Brrrrry! I had to laugh at Butterscotch getting into your yarn while you were gone. I wouldn't like the sick day fiasco either! I personally think the big businesses redo their policies for their own convenience. I have 130 sick days and will never have any more nor will I get paid for what I don't use. Some will use days here 'n there when they know they are leaving or will retire, but I can't do that without feeling guilty.

We are going to a waffle breakfast tomorrow morning and it is my day to work in the hospital gift shop. The kids and grandkids will be here in the afternoon to celebrate Bob and Will's birthdays. I play bells at late church on Sunday so my time won't be my own until after noon sometime. I don't know if I can wait that long!

I hope you all have a relaxing weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! I slept the afternoon away which I can't believe I really did. We didn't get home from church until 12:30, so I finished up the laundry while Bob shampooed the area rugs. He bought a pair of shoes/boots with thick soles and the black color rubbed off on the rugs.

I need to do some ironing and get ready for tomorrow. I am subbing for two days, at least I think I am, so need to get my ducks in a row before the kids show up for first hour.

I hope you all have a great week! The choice is yours, you know!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had my nap in front of the TV -- I seem to be doing that alot lately. It's been cold here today but so far no snow. My day at school was ok; the natives are restless and I'm assuming because the next two days will be disrupted because of ITEDs. We will only have the afternoon classes which in some cases will be good and in others not so good.

It is too quiet here!

I'm heading off to bed. Tomorrow will be another busy day in my corner of the world. Now I know why I don't teach on my own any more!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #12  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi! I'm still alive. My apologies for not posting regularly but work has been extremely busy lately. I've started a lot of posts but never got to finish them so by the end of the day they never got sent. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm still on program. I've discovered the employee fitness room at the university. That was last week. Worked out 4 days. Of course all that work and staying on program I got only a maintain at the scale at weigh-in which bummed me out a little. And now I have a honkin' big head cold.

I just wanted to peek in and say hello, let everyone know that I'm alive...
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another chilly day in my neighborhood with a few flurries floating around off and on all day. Nothing has stayed on the ground as of tonight. We spent the morning reading ITEDs tests; several of the students read ahead and then try to sleep. The kids are wired for the afternoon! We are doing the same thing tomorrow morning, but at least I won't be in charge!

Gail -- It's nice to see you tonight! I hope your cold is better. Keep on doing what you are doing and the scale should be more friendly this week. Good luck!

'Gma' and Gloria -- Where are you two?

I need to figure out what I am wearing tomorrow. I get in a rut and tend to wear the same things. I wish we wore uniforms!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #14  

Just a quick note to let you know I caught some kind or horrible cold bug and have been down for the count. I am still pretty sick, but I didn't want you all to think I fell in! Last night was the first night I have been able to sleep in my new bed since we brought it home. I have been sleeping upright in the recliner, which isn't exactly pleasant! I am a big grump too so poor Jack has to put up with that. I can't seem to shake this headache that has come with the rest of the stuff.

Jean: We are supposed to get snow today, but it is supposed to be in the 50's so I don't know how.

Gail: Good for you! Keep up the good work getting to the gym and getting a workout! You will be glad you did!

Everyone have a good day. I am going back to bed and see if I can get some much needed rest!

Faye
Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #15  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning! I still have my cold and as I type this post two other people are sneezing and coughing.

Faye, I hope you're feeling better. Did you get help with that sweater question? Did you go to that knitters message board I told you about?

Jean, you spoke of a clothes rut. Well, I'm in one that's for sure! I'm just not the shopper I used to be--I don't go to the mall like I used to--I used to go every Saturday. Now, I go once a month it seems.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote