Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 AM   #1  
I'm under tall!!!

Default My update.....

Wow, alot has happened since I last updated. I really should do it more often!!

Ok, as of right now I have had all my blood work, my psych eval, sleep study and I only have 4 pre-op classes left. I am still trying to get all the classes paid for. They won't even let me see a surgeon until that is done.

I should mention, the sleep study was an absolute nightmare!! But I did find out I have severe sleep apnea. It recorded 95 sleep disturbances in an hour. But the good thing is, my O2 levels don't drop drastically.
So guess what?? My DH is now calling me top gun because of the cpap mask I have to wear!! LOL I am having a very hard time adjusting to it. I am now on my third mask. I have been trying them all to see if I liked one better than another. And I do believe I have found it. Now if I can just figure out how to stop myself from pulling it off while sleeping. I wake up with it laying on the pillow next to me blowing air in my face!!

Oh yeah, I have lost 14 pounds of the 18 the doc wanted me to lose!!! WAHOO, I am so proud!!!
TammyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #2  

Wow, you're doing so great! I was kind of worried about you when we didn't hear anything for awhile. And without sounding too intrusively personal but its a real issue, how is the financial situation for you? Is this manageable? Well, I know that nobody really feels like they have the free cash at this time of year with Christmas bills kicking everyone in the rear especially. But you're going to be ok?

I never had a sleep evaluation TL. Just wasn't happening but then I never did carry my weight around my chest or neck. Always been central abdominal. I sleep very poorly and always have. Or at least since my first son was borh. Now I have this one little dog who 'thinks' he needs my help jumping onto the bed in the middle of the night. Then he curls up in the blankets till he gets hot, jumps off and gets cool on the floor again and we're back to the bedside routine. We bought a new bed in December and its just a few inches higher! I swear we do this routine at least once an hour. Drives me nuts.

So I'm guessing that once you have all the classes done, and paid for and you get that first appointment with the surgeon it will fall into place very quickly for you. Are they giving you any idea how soon after you see the surgeon you'll be given your date?

And YES! Do update more often!
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #3  

I feel your pain TammyLynn. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I was in law school about 5 years ago. My entire family spent Christmas in a tiny house in Santa Cruz. I kept on being kicked out of each room because I was snoring so loud. Finally, I ended up spending the night in the bathroom.

That's when I knew I had to do something about my snoring. I had a sleep study and found out I had sleep apnea. I think it was easier for me to get use to it than others because I had such a hard time sleeping before. I used the mask that fits over your nose. The one where you have the "cushions" was actually more uncomfortable for me because of my narrow nose passage. When I slept without my cpap machine I would wake up with a nasty headache and a dry mouth. Last summer I started doing what you seem to be doing. I would wake up and find my mask by my pillow. I had a follow up sleep study (this is one where they just put something on your finger during the night and you don't have to spend the night in the hospital.) I had to increase the pressure of the cpap. Probably because I had gained more weight. You might want them to check the pressure on the CPAP machine to see if was set correctly.

One great benefit of my gastric by-pass surgery - a couple of weeks after my surgery I stoped using the CPAP machine. It started to have sort of a reverse effect on me. I started waking up with a dry mouth when I was using the CPAP machine. It is easier to sleep without it now. And my family claims that I don't snore as much anymore.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyLynn
Now if I can just figure out how to stop myself from pulling it off while sleeping.
Duct tape

In all seriousness, its pretty common for people to lose weight when they start treatment for apnea so thats got to be a bonus too. It has to do with your body being able to get the right mix of hormones & stuff without getting interupted when you wake up from not being able to breath- you may not even realize you are being aroused out of sleep or to a lighter stage or sleep. Also, now that you are getting better quality sleep, its easier to be active & exercise...and you're not nibbling at snacks to try to give yourself more energy when your body really needed more/better sleep.

Did they set you up with an autoCPAP? It only gives you as much pressure as you need. It would be better if they did once you start losing weight- otherwise you either have to keep having sleep studies or your doctor guesses as when & how much to lower your pressure. Did they give you a heated humidifier? I couldn't immagine using my BiPAP ST without it- even if I just forget to turn it on for a night I have problems. I've been a 'hose head' for over 2 years now, so if you have any questions, I'll try to help.

invisigoth- I'm going to give you a cyber kick in the butt You really should have another sleep study to make sure you do not still have apneas- just because you don't snore doesn't mean you don't have it, okay? Hopefully you don't, but you may need a lower pressure now that you weigh less...and there is less in the neck area to push the throat close.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:03 PM   #5  
I'm under tall!!!

Quote:
And without sounding too intrusively personal but its a real issue, how is the financial situation for you? Is this manageable? Well, I know that nobody really feels like they have the free cash at this time of year with Christmas bills kicking everyone in the rear especially. But you're going to be ok?
Well, to be honest, that is a troubling topic for me. I was going to use my tax return to pay for it. But it was not as much as I had hoped and we were already swimming in bills that needed to be paid. So now I have to try and scrimp every paycheck so I can at least make a payment towards the classes every week. I get sad because I will more than likely have to wait longer to see the surgeon because it will take me so long to pay for the classes. But I know what is meant to be will be. The Lord will provide!!!
TammyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  

Yeah, you are probably right Christine. I'm going to have to fight with my insurance company though. I just got a letter from Blue Cross saying that they are denying my claim for medical equipment that I got this summer for my CPAP and which they already paid out. WTF?!?

I spend all of my day fighting on behalf of my clients that I really have no patience when it comes to other people messing with me. Grrr.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 PM   #7  

Hello. I have sleep apnea and the mask that I use cover my nose and mouth. It took me awhile to get used to it, but, now I can't really sleep without it. I haven't had weight loss surgery, but, I am thinking about it. I have joined WW, but, it is truly a slow process. I have at least 100 lbs to lose. I would love to get rid of my cpap mask and machine.
fost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #8  

I'm new here. I had GP two years ago. Several months later I started noticing a hernia developing. I'm a teacher, so I asked my doctor if I could wait until the end of the school to have it repaired. I went in for surgery two days after school let out. I had the big incision, and the entire thing was herniated. My doctor put in a piece of mesh to help keep it from herniating again. It's weird, I still have some pain there, and just a funny feeling. Has anyone ever had this experience? Every time I see the doctor he says it is just fine, but I worry about it.
cutiefatchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #9  

I had the same repair with many complications after. I have no sensation from the belly button up other than deep, deep inside. What do you worry about exactly?
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote