South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Default Not for the squeemish...

Hey ladies (and gents),

Couple of things:

1) I've always had issues with regularity so you can imagine how Phase 1 has been... started a cleanse thinking this might help... starting Phase 2 now though so hopefully this will get better since I have more fiber options

2) Anyone have a random period? I just started again yesterday only 2 weeks into my pill pack?

Sarah

PS I'm sure there's a thread SOMEWHERE that addresses this...
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

A lot of people have messed up cycles when they start to lose weight. I'm sure there have been several threads about it. I'll go check and see what I can find.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #3  

Plenty of people have problems with constipation in phase 1. I use Metamucil with breakfast and make sure I get plenty of fiber.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #4  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Sarah,

I know that my mom and I definitely have phase 1 pooping problems. It was a "bathroom celebration" on the boards every time I could go, which wasn't often. Once I went on to phase 2, things got better. But I know this is pretty common. I tried taking Fibercon but that just made me gassy and didn't help "move things along" very well. Beans and lots of veggies might have helped a little bit, but I still was plugged up the whole time I was on ph1.

As for the period thing, the first time I did SBD I had a random period even though I'm on the pill too. Never had that problem again with SBD as I've tried it numerous times, it was only that one time. I don't know about anyone else with the period problem.

Hope that helps a little.

Lisa
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #5  
Kyemom

My period comes sooner some months now..Used to be 4 weeks like clockwork..now it is 3 weeks some months 4 weeks other months...I had problems having a BM too on Phase 1.
kyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Cool ladies thanks for your insight! Phase 2 is here so just have to make sure that my carbs I allow myself are high fiber... do you ladies have recommendations for high fiber low carb cereals?
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I haven't had a period since I started SBD. Should I check with my doctor? ROFLOLPIMP!
Sorry I can't help on that issue but more beans, water and Metamucil will help with the other problem.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #8  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

LOL Ruthie! Lucky girl.

I will never forget Ruthie exclaiming that WEEZLE DID THE BIG POOP! after one of my bathroom celebrations.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #9  
I vant to draw your blood

Sheesh, leave you all alone for one day...one day and it turns into this. (shaking her head)...

Sarah, you, you lucky girl you! You get to be the beneficiary of my 4 Cups lecture! I'm sure it's somewhere on the site, floating around, but here it is, in a nutshell:

One of the best things you can do for your body is to make sure you get a minimum of 4 cups of veggies every single day. If your body can tolerate more, even better. I haven't heard of anyone OD'ing on veggies here on the Beach. They're packed with fiber and will help your body-ahem--regulate itself.

Another thing you can do to help keep things running smoothly is to start the day with a quart of warm water to which you add the juice of half a lemon or lime. Do this before you eat any breakfast and before you have any coffee or tea or anything else.

Oh, by the way, coffee and tea are diuretics and can actually make constipation problems worse by drying out your digestive tract. Yuck-o! So, if you drink a lot, you might want to think about cutting back and substituting an herbal tea instead.

One of the reasons why menstrual cycles get all messed up when we lose weight is because estrogen, the hormone that regulates the menses is stored in body fat. As we lose weight that estrogen is released into the bloodstream. So, you can see why it would foul up the works.

Hope I've been of at least a little help to you.
Mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Psst! Mamacita is a medical professional...when she's not sticking someone with a needle, she gives great advice. Listen to her!

about Ruth and her menopause (you LUCKY girl!!!) and Weezle and her big poops! (you know I love you, Weezle! )

Like you, Sarah, I have/had issues with both problems! I tried metamucil, but it gave me gas. I talked with my doctor and started using stool softeners. It took me a while, but I figured out how many I needed each day and I've been taking that much each day for over 1.5 years now. No major problems since. I also follow Mamacita's four cups idea, get tons of water, and try to exercise as much as I can. That helps a lot. Of course, I also ADORE beans and might even eat too many (is there such a thing?) each day. Refried beans with a bit of RF cheese and salsa is such a comfort food for me...I have it almost every day!

As to the period, of course, talk with your OB/GYN just to make sure you are okay, but when you lose weight, you mess with your estrogen. I forget the exact thing, but it has a major relationship with fat, and as you lose, that gets upset, so your period can be affected. I didn't have a normal period arrival at all on the pill once I started SBD...but I was also losing tons of weight and that was the big issue. (no pun intended )

Good luck, hon!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote