Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #1  

Default Trying -- again. Need some suggestions.

Hello all!

Well, I didn't make the goals I set for myself while my husband was deployed to the Middle East. Was extremely down on myself because of it -- the last time he was gone I went to the gym every day and got in the best shape of my life. This time . . . well, I still haven't been able to figure out what was going on inside my head that kept me from doing the things I knew I should have been doing, but they were there, and when he came home I think I weighed just as much -- if not more -- than when he left. I think some of it is inertia, some of it is dealing with the joys of perimenopause (migraines, blahs, etc.). Not that these are an excuse; I'm just searching for the reason so I can make changes and do better.

Anyway, I'm rededicating myself to sticking to the plan and exercising. This time it's not for some event or date in the future, it's just because it's what I know I need to do to feel well and have the energy to do all the things I need to do. The key for me seems to be excercising -- I'm sure I could eat almost nothing (and sometimes have) and still not lose weight unless I add in the cardio. So, middle-aged knees aside, I'm getting on the exercise bike AND taking karate (another time I'll try to describe the hilarity of what that looks like!).

Now, here' s where I could use some help: I'm terrible about putting together points-friendly food for myself, particularly for breakfast and lunch. When I lost the "big" weight years ago (~50lbs, but now I'm back up 20ish) I limited myself to salads and lean protein for the most part, and it was easy to do so because I didn't have kids and could limit the stuff I had in the house. Now, although we have almost all heathy snacks and just a trace of junk around, I'm still so tempted by the other food, that the only way I've been able to keep myself in check at all is to severely limit the things I'll eat. The problem is that gets sooooo boring after a while, that I end up nibbling on stuff and -- even it I journal it -- that's the end of it for me for the day, I just keep going. I know if I add more variety I'll do better, but all I can think of for breakfast is cottage cheese and a piece of fruit, or a scrambled egg w/veggies and salsa. For lunch it's salad or veggies and some sliced turkey or an egg (if I didn't have one in the morning). Can someone send me some ideas for quick and low-point meal options.

I really need to make this work, not only for myself but as a help for my husband who carries his extra 30+ pounds (which is quite a lot for someone 5'4" as he is) on his belly; I'm concerned about his health.

Any suggestions on food options or other ways to -- finally -- make this work would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post; I guess I needed to "talk" and get this out.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Look at the recipes. Start with a main dish and build your sides around it.

I understand what happened...you got bored with what you were eating because of lack a variety and a little slip turned int a big one.

For breakfast what do you like?

Lunches the same thing?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #3  

Kelly:

Thanks for responding.

Quite honestly, at this point I'm not sure what I would eat for breakfast if I could eat anything. Perhaps some yummy hard cheese and an english muffin. I've limited myself to certain choices for quite a while, so I'm kind of out of ideas. I guess I did it because if I have certain foods, no matter how much I know about the amount I should eat, portion control just goes out the window. Like with cheese -- I know an ounce isn't bad, but I can't just stop there, I end up nibbling at it and blow the whole day's points.

For lunch I love turkey sandwiches w/ lots of veggies. I know I can buy WW bread and make one, but I try to bake all my own bread products. I'm really trying to allow only 100% whole grains in the house (family history of diabetes!) and while I know those are available in stores, they also usually have a lot of preservatives and other stuff in them as well (I heard a long time ago that the "light" breads were made that way by adding something akin to sawdust; probably not true, but I'm trying to keep "clean" foods around whenever I can).

My other problem is that I'm a consultant and work about 2-3 days a week out of my home. My office is right off the kitchen, and the french door my DH installed for me doesn't help. That's another reason I think I've just eliminated a lot of the foods I like -- it's much, much too easy to just walk the few feet and nosh on something. Unfortunately, it's the only room that I can use as an office, so I'm stuck facing the fridge all day. Oh well, it's the way things go, but I have to develop better ways to deal with it since it's going to be like this for a long time.

Thanks for the help,
Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #4  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Breakfast ideas huh?....

scrambled egg whites with whole wheat toast
toasted ww's english muffin and ff cottage cheese
2 whole wheat toast with ff cheese slice (sandwich)
1 C cereal and skim milk
ww's 3pt muffin and a coffee
1 C sliced strawberries, 1 special K waffle, low sugar syrup
scrambled egg whites, salsa, high fibre tortilla wrap

lunch......
ff progresso soup and half sandwich
salad and ff cottage cheese, ff croutons
ww's cheesy veggie soup and a ww's bagel with ff cream cheese
whole wheat ff bun, boca vegiburger
louis kemp fake lobster stuff, and ff ranch dressing on a salad
2 kahiki vegetable spring rolls and pkg of sweet n sour sauce
hard boiled egg, ff miracle whip, lettuce and herbed tortilla wrap (high fibre)

Good luck!!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #5  

Linda,
My favorite breakfast is toast, english muffin or a pita toasted with low fat cottage cheese on it and jam or you can sprinkle cinnamon on it and broil it in the oven (That's an old old WW recipe from my youth), piece of fruit and 2 slices of Jennie O turkey bacon. I use low fat cottage cheese instead of ff because the points are the same and my leader figured out I didn't have enough fat in my diet when I hit a plateau, so I switched to low fat and I feel much more satisfied.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #6  

Thanks.

Did the extra fat in your diet help you get over the plateau? I really enjoy cottage cheese and an apple (my standard breakfast), but I do find myself hungry again before lunch. I was concerned about even the few extra calories (even though the points are the same) since I'm only allowed 20 points; my concern was the few extra calories here or there on foods w/similar profiles might add up to extra points.

I'm still struggling, but I'm determined to make it. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:55 AM   #7  

Wow, I need to go shopping.

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

Talking hope you don't mind but....

I saw your title and thought I might get some 'hints' too. And boy did I. I'm so bored with my standard breakfast and lunchtime fare. Thanks for the new ideas. Some of these ideas never even crossed my mind. You've all made my day.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:46 PM   #9  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Here's a couple of links for breakfast ideas

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47089

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=190
Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here is some 'grab and go' breakfast ideas. It doesn't give points but they are all simple enough to figure out:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/11_99/bre...rab_n_gos.html
Old 01-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #11  

Smile Extra fat helped

Yes, adding the extra fat into my diet did help me break my plateau. I fill fuller when I use the low fat cc. Sometimes I do double the cottage cheese and only half my usually bread amount. If I have a baquette, I hollow it out and then stuff it with all of my cottage cheese and then spread with jam. Sometimes I put dried fruit (cranberries, currants, blueberries) and a few sliced almonds or walnuts and drizzle honey on it. If I eat a large breakfast, I usually can make it to lunch at work without having a snack. My tough snack time is after work before dinner.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #12  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

So, how do you like karate?? I'm taking Tae Kwon Do and I LOVE it!!! Wonderful exercise for both mind and body. I'm testing this week for my yellow belt. Graduation is Saturday. I can't wait! I know I'll pass cause I've been practicing forms like crazy! LOL

Good for you for taking a martial art. It's really fun. And, don't worry about how you look. You'll get over it. It took me at least a month, month and a half to stop worrying about what other people thought, how I looked, etc. Now, I just get out there and DO IT! Hey, those people (parents) sitting in the audience don't have anything on me, cause I'm the one out there busting my butt and getting in shape while they sit around and talk. I don't care what I look like. I'm doing this for me, not them or anyone else. That's my attitude, anyway.

Good luck!
Kathy
Merritt Island, FL
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #13  

Hi Kathy

First, congratulations on testing for your yellow belt -- that's great!! When is the test? Let me know how it goes.

I think I'm GOING to love karate -- eventually. I have two main challenges with it right now, though. The first is that I tend to instictively work to the level I used to be able to attain when I was in shape a few years ago, and I injure myself in the process (after the first session I would out two weeks, and the same with the second!). I'm really trying to get a better feel for what I'm able to do now and stretch that just a little. It must sound really silly, but when I'm in class with everyone kicking, jumping, etc., I don't FEEL like I'm doing too much -- I just keep going. It's not until something goes wrong that I realize that I pushed too far. Oh well, if I can scale back and keep going, I'll eventually get to the point that my mind thinks I'm at already.

My second challenge is that my husband is an activated AF reservist, and although he's (thankfully!) home again, he still belongs to them 24/7. Among other things this causes is that I'm not able to make it to class consistently; I've been able to make it once a week, instead of the twice a week I should be doing. In a way I don't mind -- I'm okay with that, since I'm not in it necessarily to progress to black belt on the regular time line, but rather to get stronger and gain the ability to do these things. So, it might take me a bit longer; I can live with that. I also still look really goofy when I 'm practicing my kata, and I take that second night and do it alone in front of the mirror -- that way when I go to class I might not look so much like a total clutz (LOL).

Anyway, I have a quick question related to this -- what do you do about eating before/after class? Unfortunately, the adult classes where I go are all at 8pm. I don't like to do that kind of rigorous exercise with any food in my stomach, so I eat around 5:30 - 6:00. That's fine, but I come back ravenous at 9:20. I know there's no way I should eat then, but it's kind of hard. Do you have the same situation, and if so what do you do?

Well, good luck on your test and, once again, congratulations on making it to the point where you're ready to move to a higher level.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #14  

Hi there,

Good for you for trying again. I find the best way to have control of my portions are to eat things already in portions. Oatmeal, small cereal boxes, cottage doubles, fruit, eggs, yogurt...I stick with those for breakfast because I don't have time to cook, and I can eat at my desk at work. I eat fruits or veggies in between every meal. I also think it's important to incorporate "real" food into your diet, since this is a lifestyle change. I like to use feta cheese in recipes because it's low in points, it's strong and it's not "lowfat or nonfat". Also, I eat the peaches and cream oatmeal, because of love it, and it's low in points naturally. For lunch, soup is awesome and again, no guess work for the servings. For dinner, I use a meat (fish, chicken, beef) and then the rest I make veggies...And I ALWAYS have a dessert. Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are the BOMB! Also, keep cool whip light on hand to jazz up any desserts. And finally, try to focus on the other things going on in your life. When food is the most important thing on your mind, it tends to get more and more boring.
Closed Thread