Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Default O/T Prayers needed

Hi friends,

I just want to let you know that everybody is OK..but very shaken up. But..my Mom's house is not.

Friday night the kids were having their usual Friday night sleepover and after they were in bed, it started to get windy.
Mom was getting nervous and decided to leave the livingroom and go to bed because she can't hear the wind as well from her bedroom.
About ten minutes later, she heard a massive BOOM (neighbours said it sounded like an explosion)
She checked it out only enough to see that the ceiling in the livingroom was low and that the cabinet in the kitchen above the counter was hanging down..then decided to call 911 from her bedroom. She called, they told her to get the kids out. She had to shake them awake...they miraculously hadn't woken up. They climbed out of Mom's bedroom, went next door and the firefighters showed up. They made sure everyone was OK. The kids were so brave..the firefighter's were watching them all for shock, the kids were shaking from head to toe. While the firefighters were in the house turning off power and water etc. another tree fell and too out the railing on the front deck. I'm so proud of Mom and the kids for being so brave and doing everything right.

Mom called me and off we went at 1:00am..Mom tried to get us not to drive, but we had to be there.We went and got the kids..called Sam and took Mom to her house. We couldn't see anything in the dark...and the wind was insane.

We came home and everyone slept but me (well maybe 2 hours)
We spent the day today dealing with stuff at the house. Mom' is too afraid to go inside. Restoration guys were everywhere. Rudy and I gathered all kinds of stuff for the immediate future, clothes, paperwork etc.. and John and Marylin Newall had been there and moved the freezer next door and plugged it in. So many people helped us so much.

The tree took out the livingroom, ceiling's all caved in . The floors are buckled and sunken, and huge branches pierced the roof into the kitchen...one of them straight into Julie's highchair. The divider wall between kitchen and livingroom driven down into the floor and the cabinets from that same wall on the kitchen floor glass everywhere.
The house is destroyed.... I'll attach pictures.

Mom could only get market value insurance for the house because of it's age, starting last September.This means she will not have her home replaced but will be given the amount of cash that the insurance company decides her house was worth...this is really bad news, because it means that she will need to get a new home...continue to pay the 52,000 she had on her mortgage and only receive about 50,000 (very big ballpark) This is the part that kills me, I'm so worried. I'm hoping that something very good will come of this whole mess. We will be appealing to the community through the local paper for help...we spent a little over an hour with a very kind reporter today.

Please send your prayers for her, and that our kids can put this behind them.

All our love,
A VERY lucky
Linda and Rudy, Liam and Talia

Here is the link to all the pics

http://members.shaw.ca/famograham/Ruths/
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #2  
playin' for keeps

Hi Linda,

I don't know you very well since I'm a new-ish face on this board, but all I've seen from you are kind words and encouragement for everyone.

So. Here's some back atcha, girl...

What a huge blessing that your family is safe! Please hang onto that thought as you go through the craziness that's bound to come up over the next few weeks. You guys will definitely be in my prayers, along with those of all your friends here, I'm sure.

Have you thought about setting up a paypal account where you can accept donations electronically? Never underestimate the power of word of mouth on the internet... just a thought.

Please let your mom know that folks are thinking of her, and be sure to let us know what happens.

hugs,
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

OMG ~ that is awful. I'm glad your mom and kids are ok. Thoughts and prayers for your mom and your family.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 AM   #4  
Linda

Wow Paula, I hadn't thought of that yet..that is such an amazing idea!
I do have a Paypal account, but would it be better to put it in her name?
I would never want anyone to think I was dishonest.

Do you think that anyone would donate to someone they don't even know?

Thanks so much for your support
Linda
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 AM   #5  
Linda

Thank you, Gayle..I will pass them on (and keep some for myself too )

Could either of you see the pictures in the link?

Linda

Last edited by famograham; 01-30-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #6  
playin' for keeps

Yep. The picture link is working.

As for the paypal thing, I'm not super experienced. I've seen links on journals and whatnot for folks who were raising money for different causes (animal rescue, kids with medical problems). That's what made me think of it.

Also, if you have some local press coverage, the paypal thing might make it easier for folks who are inclined to donate. Maybe you could open a special account for your mom and link it that way?

...maybe someone who really knows how it works will come along and take pity on me and explain it correctly?

Here's hoping!

Have a restful night,
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:18 AM   #7  
Linda

That would be great,

Thanks,

Linda
Old 01-30-2006, 01:19 AM   #8  
Crazy Canuck

Reading your account of the event was frightening enough, but the pictures truly bring home the immense damage and how tragic it could have been! How thankful you all must be that nobody was seriously injured!

I'm sure the community will rally around your mum once the story gets out (who knows, a media blitz could put pressure on the insurance company to make a better payout). I think setting up a PayPal account is a wonderful idea. Don't forget to provide a link here.

I'm sending out positive thoughts to the whole family that everyone gets over the shock quickly and your mum receives all the support she needs right now. Take care.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:48 AM   #9  
Linda

Jilly, I think I will do that.
Thank you so much.

I need to get some sleep..it's off to the bank tomorrow, and I'll be talking to Paypal in the morning. I'll need to get these done early as the paper comes out on Tuesday.

Love
Linda
Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #10  

Linda, you would be surprised how many people will reach out in a time of need. Especially strangers. I think we can all put ourselves in the shoes of someone else who is going through a terrifying experience and in our minds know that that did not not happen to us, but could of. It's just amazing that no one was hurt. Your babies will bounce back from this, kids are just so strong and resiliant. After awhile they will be the ones trying to make everyone else feel better

You are very much in my thoughts as well as your mother and your children. I wish I had a gazillion dollars to send you cause I would if I could. Please let me know the info on the account. I can't give much, but I sure can give something.

Remember that while you are trying to take care of everyone and everything right now to take even just one minute for yourself. Your sanity is an important thing.

God was certainly looking out for your family. Many prayers coming your way. I hope that your mom is holding up ok.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #11  

OMG Linda, how terribly frightening and unnerving! Thank goodness everyone is safe and unharmed. Those pics are just devastating, and I can only imagine what your poor mother must be going through right now. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and will continue to be throughout this ordeal. I think setting up a donation acct. is a wonderful idea and it certainly couldn't hurt to try, y'know? Take care Linda and give your loved ones and extra from all of us fat chicks, k?

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #12  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Linda,

I am glad everyone is ok. Thank God they were in the other rooms. I hope all works out for your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

Linda, I am glad everything is okay with you and your family! :
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #14  
Downsizing Dee!

Linda - what a truly frightening experience. I'm happy that all of the family is unharmed and doing ok. You're all in my thoughts.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #15  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Yes Linda, I was able to see the pictures. As Jill said reading about it was frightening ~ but seeing those pictures..... Makes you remember not to take the forces of nature lightly.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote