General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #1  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Default MP3 Players

Just looking to get opinions from you all, since you have so much good insight on so many things (and hoping that this topic hasn't been covered to death, although I haven't noticed many posts about it)...

I recently lost my MP3 player (NO idea how, but it's been gone for a couple of months) and am looking to replace it. I had a Sony and liked it, but now am wondering about making the leap to an iPod. I have heard a lot of people say that they're far superior to any other kind of MP3 player, and others say that they're way over-rated. What do you all think? Are they worth the extra $?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love my iPod, as does my daugter (but now she wants the iPod Nano--its smaller than our iPod minis). I've never had another MP3 player--just portable CD players and you know what a hassle they are. The iTunes is easy to use, too. If only Verizon sold that telephone with the built in MP3 player--then I'd probably switch to that. What is weird, I rarely exercise (I usually walk) with my iPod--I like listening to the birds and dogs and traffic instead.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #3  

My MP3 player is a Creative Zen Micro and I love it. I've never used an iPod myself but while at the gym I have talked with other women who have iPods and we have compared the two. Personally, I think the Micro is an all around better player and at least a few of the women commented that they wish they'd heard of Creative before they had made their purchase.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #4  

I have a Dell Digital Jukebox. A couple of my friends have iPods and I prefer my DJ. I like it because it has actual button-type buttons (if that makes sense). I like the scrolling mechanism on my DJ, I think it makes more sense.
I guess I don't have to say it, but check out all the little guys, too. Oh and tell us what you end up with, I have had my Dell for 2 years and I will be looking again soon.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #5  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I have a samsung, love it. It even measures heart rate.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #6  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I love my Nano! I've heard good reviews about the Creative Zen MP3 players as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #7  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Miaka - it measures heartrate? That is amazing!

Well, I poked around online some more last night, and I'm kind of leaning towards the iPod nano 4GB. I like the design and the fact that it is so slim and compact appeals to me. And hardly anyone has anything bad to say about these. But I'm going to think on it a bit more.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #8  

I have an mini ipod it withstands all my abuse (dropping it, spilling stuff on it) and is easy to use so it does for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I have an ipod nano and it is EXCELLENT. My entire cd collection is on it and I download new songs all of the time. I got one for my 12 year old for her birthday so I could have one back.

One thing I LOVE about the nano is the armband that holds the nano (it's nike I think) it is SO GREAT for walking and working out, I don't have to worry about it falling out of a pocket, etc.

My brother bought a $50 mp3 player at walmart and I'm constantly having to take music off to put new music on because it gets so old so fast and doesn't hold but 100 songs.....I'm thinking about getting him a nano for his birthday too...

can you tell that I'm sold??? I'll never have anything but an ipod again

Lacey
Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #10  

Default Creative Zen

I have a Creative Zen Touch and really like it (Walmart about $210 but has 10GB I think. I mostly listen to audiobooks and when I went to my library to sign up for netlibrary.com (free audiobooks!!) I was told that if I had an iPod I wouldn't be able to download because they weren't compatible. I was relieved that I hadn't bought the iPod. I'm not crazy about the earphones though, I think I have small ear canals and they don't seem to stay in my ear unless I really force them or they tend to fall out. I think I'll just buy a new set....anyone have suggestions for earphones?

Check out consumer reviews on epinions.com It's a great site and has loads of reviews on MP3 players.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #11  

I have the Dell dj ditty and love it
Old 01-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #12  

As I mentioned before, I don't personally own an iPod. But one of the ladys at the gym mentioned that you can't just buy a replacement battery for it. You have to send the whole player back to Apple and it is like $100.00 each time. Just something to consider.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #13  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

It depends on how much space you need.

I've got a Rio Carbon, got a reconditioned one off of eBay for $130. 5GB storage capacity, nice player, excellent quality. I recommend it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #14  
Mel

I have a little itty bitty Samsung 1gig flash memory mp3 player that weighs 1 oz that my husband picked out. It seemed perfect to HIM, but I don't like it at all and have just bought a 6 gig ipod mini off ebay. The Samsung has the advantages that it is so tiny and light that you can clip it on your shirt and not even know that it's there when you are working out. The downside is that 1 gig really isn't that big, the screen is so tiny I can barely see it, and the controls are totally non-intuitive. I've had to write out a "cheat sheet" mini-manual on an index card which I need to do anything other than turn it on and just listen in order.

My ipod was supposed to arrive today...I'm getting very impatient!

Mel
Old 01-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #15  

I have a SONY 1G, I love it. It's the only reason I can workout for longer periods of time. It's certainly a great investment no matter what brand you choose!
Closed Thread