Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  
Cat Wrangler

Default Wave 1 - Mediterranean Chicken Couscous

I found this in the January 2006 Southern Living. We had it for dinner last night with no changes except that I used only about 2 ounces of feta. When I first mixed it all up, I thought it was just okay, but by the time we sat down to eat, it was tasting pretty darn good. Either way, this was a nice, quick and easy dinner if you've already got some cooked chicken (I used one of those deli-roasted chickens).

Mediterranean Chicken Couscous

1 1/4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 (5 5/8 ounce) package toasted pine nut couscous
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 (4 ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat broth and seasoning packet from couscous in the microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until broth begins to boil. Place couscous in a large bowl, and stir in broth mixture. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. (Or just bring the broth and seasoning to boil in a saucepan, stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. That's how I do it--one less dish to wash!)

Fluff couscous with a fork; stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients. Serve warm or cold.

Note: Substitute 4 tsp dried basil if you can't get fresh.
terravita is offline   Reply With Quote