General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #1  
kmccann

Question Belly Button Piercing?????

Does anyone think it is wrong for an 11 1/2 year old to have her belly button pierced?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #2  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

i wouldn't let my daughters do it that young. i wouldn't let them until they were 17 or 18. and by 18, it's not really "letting" them. jmho though.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #3  

I think that might be a little young (in my opinon). They might not do it on an 11 year old. Also, the belly button is very prone to getting infected. No matter how mature the child might be it is still a big responsibility to have them clean it properly.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #4  

IMO it's too young. 16 would be the earliest age I would even start to consider it for my daughter. It is a topic of discussion that comes up at my house every once and a while as I have mine pierced. My daughter will be 11 next week, and has a few more years to wait. But, as I tell her, everyone's family is different, has different rules, these are just our family rules.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #5  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I definitely would not let her get that done until she's at least 16. As others have mentioned, it's prone to infection... not to mention, why is she wanting this? Is she going to be showing it off to her friends or something? If so, that seems a bit fishy.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #6  

I think something like that should be done only when they are old enough to consent to the procedure legally themselves. If you have to sign something because she's too young- she's too young! Ditto for tattoos
Old 01-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #7  

My 14 yr wanted one for her 15th B-day I told she could,but told her to think about it .She did and now she don't want to . If I would of said no she would still be asking. She can't stand any pain so she would of made them stop as soon as she felt them start to put it in.

11 1/2 NO WAY
Old 01-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My brother in law is a surgeon ~~ has seen MANY BOTCHED JOBS and hurting girls ~~

My advice ~~ NO! NEVER!! If she wants to when she is an adult ~~ then it is hers to "own".

Just suppose you said OK ~~ then something dreadful happened ~~ just think ~~ just THINK!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #9  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

15 maybe, 16 probably 17 sure why not... but 11 1/2??? nuu uhhh no way !
Old 01-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #10  

Default No way, not at that age...

I agree with everyone else on this thread, 16???? Maybe....but 18 is a great age.....LOL
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #11  

Default She WILL regret it!

Hey, I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents here from a different angle. I wanted my belly button pierced sooo bad and my ultra consertive parents of course said no way. Being a rebelious teenager (at 17) went out and did it with some friends on one random day. I had it pierced for 5 years and recently took it out because it sorta made me feel slutty, and at 23, it sorta looked trashy as well, especially since I'm in a professional occupation.
The downside of this story, after almost a year of having nothing in the hole, it is still there, and is still noticeable. I never had an infection, but after I loose enough weight to wear a 2 piece swimsuit, I will still have a red hole above my belly button. Also, I would question a piercing salon who would actually pierce someone so young. It sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Sorry it's such a long read, but I hope it helps!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #12  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Heck no! Only thing I would allow is pierced ears, maybe even twice. But that would be it!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #13  
Move it and lose it!!

S/C/G: 243/238/170

Height: 5'10"

I honestly don't think a good, clean, professional shop will pierce anyone under 16. At least that was the law in KS. My mom let me get mine done when I was 16, but she got hers done at the same time!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #14  
Movin on down the scale

I think 16 is the youngest I would go also. Anything earlier than that and I just dont think it is good for them.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #15  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I have several piercings and there would be NO WAY my own daughter or even my stepdaughter (and I'm sure her mum and dad would only agree with me on this) would be allowed that at such a young age.

MAYBE 18, not even 16. Piercing is NOT something to play around with. I would also be sure to go with my daughter or SD so that I knew what kind of place it was that was doing the piercing. The reason there are botched jobs is because any old piercing "shop" thinks they are qualified to do it. Piercing should always be done in sterile conditions by a NEEDLE, not a gun. Just knowing that, my SD would definitely NOT want to get pierced!

I had my navel pierced, I took it out some time ago and it still gets infected from time to time. That's because of the position it has vs. my jeans vs. my weight gain though
Closed Thread