South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking What are you reading? (Take II)

I know, totally off topic, but sometimes it's fun to talk about things other than being OP! And I find that if I have a book in my hand, sometimes I forget to eat!

So, what are you reading right now? I'm currently almost finished with The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. It's phenomenal...though it's a slim book, it's incredibly 'meaty'...so much to think about and try to wrap your mind around!

I recently read Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. (She also wrote the book "In Her Shoes" which became a movie late last year) It was wonderful...made me laugh out loud over and over and then bawl like a baby near the end. We can all relate to the main character, Cannie, who is overweight and trying to find love. The title refers to an episode that opens the book. Cannie's ex-boyfriend, with whom she recently broke up, is hired to write a column called "Good in Bed". He uses his first column to write about "loving a large girl". You can imagine... It's really a fabulous book...check it out!

Tell me what you are reading!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I just finished reading the "In the Garden" trilolgy by Nora Roberts, and I loved all 3 books. My next read will be "A Breath of Snow & Ashes" by Diana Gilbadon. I've read all of her "Voyager" series, and this latest one has been a long time coming. I think they're the best fiction I've ever read.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #3  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Jennifer Weiner books are so much fun! They definitely rank up there among my favorites. Well, let's see, I've been reading a lot of stuff in the Journal of Chemical Physics for school!

Oh...for fun...I finished Memoirs of a Geisha recently and LOVED it, and I have been working on The Time Traveler's Wife for a while. Also dug into Marley & Me over the weekend and adored it. (A great book for a dog lover!)
Old 01-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #4  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Hidden Prey by John Sandford-he's got a whole series of "prey" books, intrigue, murder, detecting, good stuff
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

The Screwtape Letters is a very interesting book. Have you ever read "This Present Darkness" by Frank E. Peretti? If you like Screwtape, You'll like that one
Currently, I am reading "Widow of the South" and then am moving on to "The Lady Scandalous"
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #6  

I recently finished the book "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. I am sure a lot of you have heard of is, as he was on Oprah not too long ago. Really an eye opener to the life of a alcoholic/druggie on the road to recovery. I couldn't put it down. Some are debating the authenticity of the book, but it is marketed as a autobiography.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #7  
Mythical

S/C/G: 186/172/120

I've been reading David Sedaris for a bit now. Finished Naked on the plane home from Christmas, and I'm working on Me Talk Pretty One Day now. (I'm a slow leisure reader, it's true.) I really like his stuff, it's sad, but laugh-out-loud funny.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #8  

cottage - I finished In the Garden series last week. I loved it but then I love every thing that Nora Roberts writes.

Right now I am reading Phoenix and Ashes from Mercedes Lackey. She writes wonderful fantasy. I've been working hard to make it to the gym so I could read while on the stationary bike.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #9  
Who needs sleep?

Christina - Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my all time favorites. I picked it up oh, maybe 3-4 years ago (can't remember now) and I've read it a few times as well as loaned it out to various people.

Jennie and Laurie - I love Lewis! Peretti is okay, but fairly sensational, unlike Lewis. To me, Peretti is just fiction; Lewis is literature. The only Peretti book I really liked was This Present Darkness. I read a couple after that, but they weren't as well written (IMHO), so I didn't bother to read any others.

I'm reading textbooks right now - no superfluous leisure time to read what I want to read! When the quarter is over, I will probably read "no brainer" fiction - fiction that is pure entertainment and that I've already read a few times. Maybe McCaffrey's Crystal Singer or some mysteries. On the other hand, I'll be busy putting in a raised bed, so I might just be reading gardening books!
Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #10  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I'm reading "Managing the Environment, Managing Ourselves" and "Principles of Terrestrial Ecosystem Ecology". Anyone care to start a book club?? hehe!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #11  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I am more of a biography type girl...right now I am reading the unabridged journals of sylvia plath. I like it becuase since it basically is her journals in their entirety, reading it fits around my busy schedule. Entried are often shorter than chapters.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm reading The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion and finding a lot of similarities to my situation. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it but it certainly is well-written.

Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan is my bedtime story book.

There's a book waiting for me at the Library that I must read by Feb 2 for my book club. I can't even remember the name of it but I hope it's thin!

I'm also reviewing two kiddy books for our library system - Flush and The King in the Window both for ages 10+ so I'm not struggling with any of the words.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #13  
Who needs sleep?

pearshape - sure! We can toss my geology and social psychology texts in, too! Everyone will want to join!

Ruth - I haven't read that one yet, but I so love Amy Tan! She's probably my favorite author overall - and from this bibliophile, that is saying a lot! Is Flush about Flush Barrett?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Flush is about a kid who discovers a company is polluting the rivers. Now a book about Flush Barrett would be fun. I could read it to The Girls!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #15  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I tried posting last night but my isp crapped out. CS Lewis is my very favorite author! Screwtape is awesome, and if you want something more serious, A Grief Observed is my favorite by him.

I also enjoy Frank Peretti. This Present Darkness was fantastic.

I'm not in the middle of anything right now because I haven't had much time to read.... I wish I did. When I'm not reading philosophy/theology type books, I'm more of a mystery-suspense-Dean Koontz-before-he-went-all-sci-fi type of reader. I also rather enjoy Mary Higgins Clark.
Closed Thread