General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #1  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Default FoodNetwork TV

Does anyone watch the FoodNetwork channel these days? I've been wondering if anyone really gets into that Low Carbs Chef, or that Calorie counting Chef on there? I've noticed that them two have very limited air time and I was wondering why? For myself, I've been getting into Everyday Italian and Paula's Home Cooking....
Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #2  
tch'd by his noodly appdg

I'm a big big fan of Alton Brown and his show Good Eats, he's awesome! I haven't seen the shows you're referring to, though.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #3  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I love Paulas Home Cooking, Good Eats, Iron Chef, Ham on the Street, Unwrapped, Barefoot Contessa and anything with Tyler Florence. Hes such a sweetie.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

The only actual cooking shows I watch on Food Network are Good Eats & Iron Chef America. I am in awe of how difficult Alton Brown can make even the simplest dish.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #5  

I haven't seen Calorie commando on there much lately...they had a show for awhile where they followed 3 people who were trying to lose weight for 3 months but I haven't seen that at all! I did see a few episodes right at the beginning of the year but I haven't seen it since. The calorie commando is great because he really pares down the calories on some recipes. I guess they just didn't get a lot of viewers? He is kinda boring when he speaks but his info is good.

Amber
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #6  
Collie Mommie

I adore Rachel Ray (I know, tons of people hate her) and sometimes I'll watch the old Iron Chef reruns b/c the dishes they make are so bizarre. I remember there were a couple of shows featuring more health-conscious cooking, but I never watched them.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Don't know if you get the same shows in the U.S. as we do in Canada on our Food network but I really like Jaime Oliver
Old 01-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I love Paula's home cooking but I crack up every time I watch it because she is always adding whole sticks of butter or bacon fat or something to everything she cooks. I can only imagine how many calories are in that stuff! But it looks soooo tasty.

I'm a fan of 30 minute meals (I hated Rachael Ray at first but now I love her), Iron Chef America, Food Network Challenge, Ham on the Street, Emeril (though I've gotten kind of tired of him), and Sugar Rush (the host isn't so good but the desserts on there are amazing!). I'll also watch Semi-Homemade and I love "The Secret Life Of ..."

I actually don't like Good Eats, something about Alton Brown just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #9  

I love Rachel Ray and Paula Dean even though Paula's recipes aren't always diet friendl )
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #10  
ugggg.....

I love Rachael Ray and just subscribed to her new magazine. My husband actually likes Mings Quest--can't remember if that is the Food Network or the FineLiving Channel.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #11  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

I forgot about Rachel. I love her energy. Shes always so perky.

Is it just me or does Alton remind anyone of the guy that sung "She blinded me with science"?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #12  

I don't watch cooking shows........just one more way to make myself feel inadequate

Liz
Old 01-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #13  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Huh! Ok, thanks everyone! I had been trying to watch Calorie Commando whenever it did come on these days, but have had enormous difficulty trying to double his receipes a few times due to some of the shortcuts he used. So I had been wondering if anyone on this site really got into his receipes or that Low Carbs Chef very much.

One benefit for me though besides all the cooking....on Barefoot Contessa, I just adore that green stripes wallpaper/paint in the background! If nothing else, it sure did inspire my decorating instincts! LOL
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamily828
I forgot about Rachel. I love her energy. Shes always so perky.

Is it just me or does Alton remind anyone of the guy that sung "She blinded me with science"?
OMG!!!!!! LOL I thought he looked like someone familiar, yet I couldn't put my finger on it!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #15  
it's always something

I love Alton, and agree with the comparison I like to watch Everyday Italian, she does great things with vegetables. I also love Everyday Entertaining with Michael Chiarello, yum yum yum! And his food looks pretty good, too

I can't stand to watch Paula Deen. All of the y'alling drives me batty. I've lived in the south my whole life and never knew anyone to say y'all that many times in a month, let alone a 30 minute period. It seems forced at times, so I wonder if her producers encourage her to say it, to seem more "southern".

I'm also irritated by the Semi-Homemade show. She creates all of these recipes that look like they are designed for (or by, lol) children, and then tosses in a recipe for cocktails on the side. I just don't get it.

I agree with Nemesis, I love to look at their kitchens! I really love both kitchens from Everyday Italian.
Closed Thread