Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #1  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

Default OTC Diet Drug?

I was just reading an article about FDA review panel approval of Xenical to go OTC, which the FDA will probably follow. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience to share about this?
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I tried it once before Talia was born (about 5 years ago)
All I have to say is...EEEEEWWWWW

Xenical blocks about 1/3 of the fat you consume from entering your system..this means it gets flushed out..literally.
I think the nasty side effects do a very good job of teaching a person what is excessive fat intake if they don't know that already. However if you're aware of what is healthy..you probably wont need it, and most likely won't benefit from it by losing weight, either.

As for being available over the counter....would they still cost $200.00 a month?

That's my 2 cents!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #3  

I tried it a while back. Didn't work. Didn't lose a thing. Wasn't eating that much fat in the first place. Sugar is my demon!
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham

As for being available over the counter....would they still cost $200.00 a month?
I read that the cost per day will equal "what a pop and a bag of chips" costs.

I've never tried it - although I've tried others - but it sounds like it could quickly become popular with teenagers and those with eating disorders once it goes OTC. I do understand there is a time and a place for diet drugs, but probably most overweight people who try it will still be looking for that "magic pill" instead of being willing to change.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #5  
Heather/Caterpillar

I am on xenical and can honestly say I haven't noticed much of a difference in weight loss...I don't eat that much fat to start with but I still get the tummy aches and the dodgy toileting. I still take it though because my doctor thinks it will help keep any fat I do eat away from my gall bladder (I have gall stones). I am of the opinion that there is only one way to lose weight and that is through healthy eating and exercise...no quick fixes.
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #6  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I'm with the "no quick fixes" group. There's no substitute for eating right. People take fiber drinks because the processed junk they eat doesn't provide them with enough fiber. They take oodles of every kind of vitamin because they don't eat the nutrient-rich fruits and veggies our bodies need. We've got such a pill mentality in our country and I wonder how many of them we really need.

It reminds me of the disappointed reactions some give us when they hear how we lost our weight. They want to hear about some easy, quick fix, not that we ate less, counted calories and watched our fats.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #7  

I guess it would depend on you daily fat intake. It seems that is you ate everything fried and consumed tons of butter it might have an effect. It seems much more easy to keep your fat intake to about 30% of your kcals which is what the FDA recommends for good health. That's not that hard and I can't see the point of taking a drug for something you can do on your own. We need a certain amount of fat daily to keep our bodies running in top form. All our cells and steroids need fat to function. Without it we would die because our cells could not do their job. I think this odd fear of fat will have long term repercussions. Besides I think this drug will have an adverse affect on the liver. Let's face it fat is our friend just not too much and getting the right kind.
f(x) is offline   Reply With Quote