General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default American Idol returns - Was anyone else bothered?

I used to love American Idol but I was completely unimpressed, yet slightly bothered by the season opener. I thought the judges were unusually cruel. It's one thing if someone comes in and it's obvious that they are just there for the attention, and have to know that they are not talented. But some people really do believe in themselves, and walk away crushed by ruthless insults by the judges. They didn't just insult their talents, but also made cruel remarks about their size, etc.

Is it just me?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #2  
less me

Default It suck

I use to love the show but as i see anybody is going to hollywood
Old 01-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #3  

I didn't watch the opener this year. I've decided to wait until they actually get to Hollywood just BECAUSE of the way the first shows are handled.

I'll tune in in a few weeks!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #4  

Height: 5"4

I love AI, but I agree. I couldn't believe that they let the small little cowboy dude go through. Randy asked him if he had ever been on a plane, I feel like they were making fun of him because he is a small town guy. God knows the kid couldn't sing a note properly.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

I love the AI show and really like watching the opener but some of the people they let through are just going to get their hearts pounded in Hollywood!!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I watch the first audition episodes of the show purely for entertainment value. It really bothers me how many of the hopefuls leave crying and all angry, hurt, or upset at the judges, and yet they say that this is what they've been working for their whole life, blah blah blah...if that were true, they would have been rejected plenty of times before, so they wouldn't get so bent out of shape about this one! I was a Music Industry minor in college, so I knew a LOT of people who were trying to make it as performers--major critique and rejection are part of the game!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #7  

I actually thought that the cowboy could sing and I was glad that he is getting some experience away from his sheltered life. I heard on the radio that one set of the twins from the first night have already been eliminated for buying a car using false indentification. I still love the whole show-start to finish, but I do think that some of the winners didn't deserve the title...like Fantasia and Rubin over Clay!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #8  
banned

I love the show, and the insults are what makes people want to watch. I have to admit it's so funny to see the judges' faces when they hear someone singing really bad. Some comments Simon makes are rude, but he's just a truthful guy. I think the thing he said about the bigger girl ("do we have a bigger stage this year") was going a little too far, however. Maybe he's going through some problems himself...he looks like he's gained a little weight. And Paula seems to be a little meaner than previous season...probably cuz she doesn't like all the publicity Simon gets for being mean.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile

I didn't see it Tuesday night but did watch last night. While I agree with Simon most of the time because he is being honest...I feel telling someone they are useless as he did last night was so very wrong. And the cowboy, I do think he had a voice, he just picked the wrong song and was nervous as ****. I also applaud the judges for letting him go through. At least he will get to experience something he has never experienced in his life, even if it is only to fly on a plane once or twice and that I think he will cherish the rest of his life.

What kills me is the ones that really think they can sing and then get angry because they are told they can't. Okay...they usually are there with family members and what the heck is wrong with them for letting their kids go that far only to be crushed? If my kid couldn't carry a tune I would be honest with them and tell them. I wouldn't let them do something that would or could possibly destroy them for the rest of their life. If they really wanted to sing and I knew that they can't, I would help them with getting voice lessons or whatever before they went that far.

That Zachary guy cracked me up because he/she couldn't sing and they told him so. So he got mad and said they were prejudiced. Ummm, excuse me. You dress like a girl but you get mad when people think you are a girl because you are a boy and then you can't carry a tune what-so-ever, please!

Anyway, I only watch the auditions because they are funny. Once they are through with them I am through with the show. It just gets a little boring after the first show. I mean, how many American Idol shows can they keep having? The only one I watched the whole way through was when Kelly Clarkson won.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

There were some pretty cruel comments, but that seems pretty par for the course with this show. I think they think that is what people want to see. I have no problem with pointing out someone can't sing, but some of the things did seem a little cruel. Like the tanned girl and asking her mother to come in to figure out how she could have become the way she was. Whether they like her look and think she can sing it doesn't give them the right to belittle both her and her mother for who they are. Or I guess they do have a right because at this point people should know better. We have all seen how they behave so it shouldn't come as a great surprise to the contestants. The remark about the one girl's size was definitely uncalled for - I am just glad they didn't do it while she was there.

At the same time, I am constantly amazed at how clueless people are about their own singing abilities. You would think at that point someone around them would have taken them aside and leveled with them. I also wish they would show people their performances taped and ask them again. Seeing and hearing yourself on video is an eye opening experience.

The one that got me was the guy dressed as the statue of liberty. I couldn't figure out why Simon stopped him so abruptly - the first two notes he sang sounded fine. There was possibly more to the audition that we didn't see, but that one seemed really abrupt.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #11  
Determined

I was actually kind of glad they let cowboy guy go through. Just the experience of being on a plane and in a hotel will be so mind-blowing for him. I thought it was so cute when he was like "I've never really been out in public before." What I don't get is why they let "I talk to animals" guy through...
Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #12  

Unusually cruel? Sounds great! It is on here tomorrow for a very long 2 hours 50 mins or something! I'll record it and watch it in bits.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I do think that some of the comments were mean, but mostly they're funny. You gotta realize too that they sit there for hours listening to people who should know that they suck, we only see a portion of it.

Ok, but the one that got me cracking up was the Deputy singing "I shot the sheriff but I didn't shoot the deputy", over and over and over and over. Or that one chick that sang "Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for" over and over, then broke into "When will my reflection show" and back to "Blue moon", I mean I guess it's sad in a way, but why in the heck didn't some one tell them they can't sing to save them the embarassment. I think that if some one is gonna be mad at the judges first they should be mad at the people who heard that horrible voice and encouraged them to go anyway, knowing.

ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE JUDGES ARE MEAN! What do they expect???

And I agree that some of the ones who have won didn't really deserve it. But then again I think sometimes they eliminate really good singers before the final few!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #14  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi04
That Zachary guy cracked me up because he/she couldn't sing and they told him so. So he got mad and said they were prejudiced. Ummm, excuse me. You dress like a girl but you get mad when people think you are a girl because you are a boy and then you can't carry a tune what-so-ever, please!
I thought the same thing. If you dont want to be mistaken for a girl, wear boy clothes!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Everyone who goes on that show knows they may be rejected. Some of them know they will be rejected, but want their 10 seconds of fame. They all know that Simon will likely insult them unless they're something spectacular, which 99.9% of them are not. Yet they go anyway. It's all part of the show. It's like watching an episode of Jerry Springer without having any clothes ripped off. Yet people go on Springer too...knowing they're going to be insulted. Knowing they're making a spectacle of themselves. I figure if they don't mind it enough to put themselves on such display, I don't mind watching them make a fool of themself.
Closed Thread