Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#813

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #2  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

I'm on my way to bed, late as usual ...but I wanted to share a small success. In a day of poor food choices I did my 2-mile workout twice. I'm not trying to boast, I hope you understand that, it's just I'm proud of myself and there isn't anyone here to tell right now. Someday I will have a day where I have good food choices and good exercise choices together but it hasn't happened yet...

I hope everyone is well and had a wonderful day today and I wish you all the best for tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:39 AM   #3  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Just wanted to check in before going and getting some unpacking and organising done. I'll be back later to check on messages.

We had a lovely couple of days down south. Went to a place called Eagles Heritage, where they have lots of raptors for viewing and they do a great 'performance' with a few of the birds. I had my photo taken holding one of the birds. Might post it after we get the pics sorted.

We also went through a couple of VERY beautiful caves. I was absolutely thrilled to be able to do this. A year or more ago I wouldn't even have attempted it. For one, I don't think I would have fit through some of the spaces you have to squeeze through. It didn't seem too bad today, but I have a feeling I would have been stuck at my larger size. But the BEST thing was that there were a LOT of steps involved in these tours. The first cave had 652 steps (326 down and back again) and the second one had 500 steps (250 down and back). Most people were really puffing and panting when they finished these tours, but I managed them with no trouble at all. I was SO impressed that I seem in so much better condition now. I surprised even myself! Hubby was very proud of me. I have been doing the steps here at home, and I know that I am fitter than I've ever been before, but I still thought that these caves would offer quite a challenge. YIPPEE!!!! I did it! I'll try to put some pics of the caves up somewhere for people to look at. I think we got some nice ones.

Hubby and I went for a couple of beautiful walks along the beach - sunset and sunrise. This morning we think we walked for about 6km, which is about 3.6 miles I think. It was lovely and peaceful, looking out over the Indian Ocean.

Oh... hubby and I also took advantage of the double spa we had in our hotel bathroom. I couldn't have done that before without causing a tidal wave. It was 'fun'.

We came back just in time as it rained almost all the way home. We are expecting storms tomorrow (great summer weather) so that should make a good excuse to spend some time shopping indoors.

Catch you all soon.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 01-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #4  

Hello everyone. My name is Heather and I am new here to the group, and the site! Been ill the last few days so I have been surfing, and I am really glad I found this place. I have read quite a few posts and it seems that perhaps I have finally found a group on the net that will be fun and supportive!

I have been actively trying to lose my weight for about a year now. I joined WW and went for 11 months, only lost 10 pounds, and decided it wasnt worth my money to go anymore. I have all the books and I learned some things, which I will take with me and use, but the meetings weren't very fullfilling. I also see a dietician here on base (oh, hubby is in the Navy, and we live on base), and I have been having much more luck with her. According to her records (vs. WW) I have lost about 20 pounds, but more importantly, I have lost 12% body fat. She said that due to my walking, while the weight isnt coming off as fast as it could, she is encouraged by the fat loss. She told me to start measuring once a month and note those changes instead of worrying what the scale says...but you still have to know, right?

I am a sahm of 3 daughters, 1 dog and 1 cat. I am currently in the process of getting another dog, but it's a "rare" breed so its a waiting game. I just hope it comes soon!

I live right now in Maryland, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and dislike it alot. I am from Wisconsin originally. Hubby and I got married while he was stationed in Virginia Beach, VA, and then we moved here about 2 years ago...and now I am counting the days until we can pick new orders and move again. Could be back to VA, could be Japan, could be Hawaii or CA. I would be happy to go anywhere right now!

I guess I better wrap this up, as its turning into a novel...sorry!

Its great to be here, and I look forward to making some new friends, and to losing weight!!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #5  

Hello, Heather. I am also new here :-). I so want a puppy but I can't have one right now because the coming months will be busy for me. I am going to attend review classes.

I got my new New Balance rubber shoes today. I have a wide feet so I thought of having a friend in the US buy me a New Balance cause I read good reviews. Wow, the shoes are really big. It's too much bulky for my liking. I could had just bought men shoes in here. I don't think I would be able to go out with these. Good thing I mainly bought it to use in exercising indoors.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #6  

Katie ~ Don't be depressed. A 25-pound loss is an excellent loss. I was on WW for two years and didn't lose a thing (I followed the plan to the letter) ~ talk about depressing. At least you can lose. Some of us have PCOS and other conditions that make it nearly impossible for us. Keep your chin up.

Heather ~ I know exactly where you are. I live in Anne Arundel County. You're right. It is dead there. Don't let it make you eat though. See if you can find something good to get involved in to keep you busy.

Hi to the other new person with PCOS. I know how you feel. Everyone here will give you all the support you need!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #7  

Hello everyone...hey to the new people! I am new here as well. I have heard you guys mention the leslie..walk at home tapes? Do those really work for you guys? I was thinking of buying some. I know I may not be able to do much of it at first..but they look a lot easier than some of the other work out tapes. Also, I am just starting on this weight loss journey and I am really scared at how much I get winded just from working out for a few minutes. I am only 24..but 330 pounds...but I just am so depressed at how hard it is for me to work out. Also, do any of you have hypothyroidism? Hope you guys have a good day!

michelle
Old 01-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Tashabella--I never realized you were so close! Before Jeff and I moved in together in Alexandria, I was visiting him many weekends at his cousins' house in Glen Burnie. Now we're in Alexandria, and while the traffic is much worse, at least there's pretty much anything you can imagine close by

Michelle--hello! I saw you over in the Support section...glad you found us here! I'm 23 and was up to 310.5 pounds, but it slooooowly coming off

Heather--Like I said to Tashabella, my boyfriend lived in Glen Burnie, so I have an idea of where you are, too. I hear ya that there's not much there...especially after living in Virginia Beach! I lived in Va Beach for a year and still go down there on weekends quite often since my sister lives there. How long before he gets new orders and you guys can move?

Zelma--what a fun trip! Sounds very beautiful and, most importantly, relaxing!

honi--don't ever think we'd be upset with you "boasting"...it's an accomplishment to be proud of, so don't ever be afraid to share!

Well, I had a minor dieting disaster yesterday involving a box of frosted sugar cookies (a MAJOR weakness of mine), but I'm right back on track today! I even have a group dinner tonight at Macaroni Grill, and I already checked their menu online (and their nutritional information on their website) to come up with a plan of attack in advance
Old 01-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #9  

OH and one more thing I wanted to ask/mention. I figured this was the right place to ask this. But when you reached 300 pounds did you notice a significant difference....like quality of life....fitting in things...clothes. I find its like once I hit 300 it was a whole new realm. I mean even the difference from 290 to 300 for me seem to be like a hundred pound difference. Its like could function ok at 290 but its like everything went down hill once I hit 300. I hope this made sense I just wanted to kick this question around. Have a good day!

michelle
Old 01-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #10  
On Day at a Time

S/C/G: 293/293/165

Height: 6'

Red face Can I join too?

Hey all! The highest weight I was at was 299. I know that I'm almost 300 but not quite. Can I still join? I'm on WW at home program and would love to give support to anyone, whether on WW or not. I had been on the WW board, on the WW site, but didn't get any support.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechell81
Hello everyone...hey to the new people! I am new here as well. I have heard you guys mention the leslie..walk at home tapes? Do those really work for you guys? I was thinking of buying some. I know I may not be able to do much of it at first..but they look a lot easier than some of the other work out tapes. Also, I am just starting on this weight loss journey and I am really scared at how much I get winded just from working out for a few minutes. I am only 24..but 330 pounds...but I just am so depressed at how hard it is for me to work out. Also, do any of you have hypothyroidism? Hope you guys have a good day!

michelle
Hi, Michelle. WATP really works for me. It's very challenging with my weight. Don't be afraid because you can modify it anyway to accomodate what you can only do. Last year when I was trying to lose weight, I was able to do the 2 mile dvd when I hit 280-275. I also noticed that after awhile of doing it, I can walk much longer without feeling so strained. It definitely built up my cardio and I lose some weight (although sadly some big problems came up and I fall off my diet). I suggest to alternate it with other kind of dvd cause Leslie can be annoying if you keep watching it everyday .
By the way, I am 25 years old.

You know, I understand about what you're saying about what 10 lb difference can make. When I reached 300 I cannot even stand for too much long. My legs and feet get really tired and I huff much more. When I lost the the 10lb or so I do feel lighter and I don't feel as tired when walking. The other week I have to wait in line for more than an hour and I didn't felt any tiredness.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

Sarah... WELCOME !!!!! Of course you can join. When you are reading in any thread just hit "POST REPLY" and you will be posting within that thread.
It doesn't matter which thread you join in on... you can post in ALL of them... You will be welcomed with open arms.

Tell us all about yourself.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good morning ladies,

Ammi: I will be praying for Daren. I do hope the Dr.s were right and it was a muscle thing (not heart muscle). Have a nice cuddle!

Notthecheat: thank you for the good wishes on my job interview. Have fun with all the workout videos you are doing.

Kayleystar: Thanks for the good wishes on the interview. I am getting nervous but I am trying to tell myself, if not this job, then there will be another one.

Christineu: OUCH! Sorry about your chest. That sounds painful. I am glad though that the procedure seems to be helping you.

Garnetfairy: Get better soon. Thanks for the good job "vibes" I'm feeling them!

Katiecandothis: Yes you can! Welcome! So sorry that you are depressed. It is an easy thing to do. Try to not look at the amount of weight you have to loose but focus on the task of doing one day at a time! Hang in there and I'm glad you are here with us.

Beingme: Welcome. Looking forward to getting to know you!

honiangel: Wow! Please don't feel bad about your "boast" I am so motivated and excited by your 2 x's a day. I can't seem to get myself moving even 1 time a day. That is wonderful!

Zedieus: Welcome back. Glad that your trip was so much fun.

HeatherUSNwife: Welcome. -20 pounds or -12% body fat is great. I am so happy for you. Whatever you are doing, keep it up.

Well, as for me. I need to go and focus on my day. I need to spend my morning with God and then get ready to go. I'm not very familiar with the city where the job interview is so I will have to leave early today. Everyone have a great and blessed day.

Blessings,
Dogpal
Old 01-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Sorry I am late posting today, but with Daren getting over yesterday and being out of it on pain killers I have had to do the school run, plus, I have caught up on lost sleep. But here I am finally. I have quite a few posts to catch up on...

Catherine - wow I am impressed that your father in law is a professor in Medieval literature. That must be such an intersting thing to know about. And how cool that he gave you a blessing in Anglo Saxon. His and Austins military history is impressive too. Sounds like a lovely family to be married into.

You mentioned that Austin has lost 5 lbs already, what about you, is the weight coming off for you too?

Nancy - I am glad you went to the doctors and he gave you antibiotics. Seems like they are kicking in already which is good news. Hopefully you will finish that audit and be feeling 100% before too long.

Yes it was a big relief that Daren's chest pains weren't cardiac, but it's frustrating not knowing why he was having pains, how long they will last, and if they will come back again. It's ok for them to say it's muscular spasms etc, but why is it happening? It's a worry, but yes, not as much of a worry as if it was a heart problem.

Butterflyns - no I haven't tried the Richard Simmons DVDs you mentioned. I do have his Disco Sweat one though, and although it's fun, I am not up to doing it yet.

I am glad to hear that your kitty is much better, did you end up taking him to the vet, or did he improve enough without the need for that?

That's kind of you to let your friend and her daughter stay with you until they are all sorted to move away from your friends abusive bf. I am glad she is getting out, and I hope she will be ok.

Tasha - thanks for the advice, I was actually thinking of getting some asprins just in case. It certainly can't hurt can it. My first husband was 33 when he had a heart attack, so although no two people suffer the same, I was pretty sure that Daren wasn't having one. I was still worried sick because he was obviously suffering pains for an unknown reason, so I was happy that we went to the hospital to get him checked out.

As for reducing stress, chance would be a fine thing, we have two hormonal teenage girls, both rebellious, then we have my health problems, and some financial worries. It all adds up to a non stress free life.

Kayley - what was the tedious class you did, surely not the criminal justice one??

Thanks for your kind words about Daren. I don't think we will ever know why his muscles went into spasm, but I hope when he gets over it that it doesn't happen again.

Christine - I am glad that apart from a pinched boob that the procedure you had done went well and seems to have worked. I bet you were so happy to not have a headache last night for the first time in however long!

I am sorry that you and your brother had a falling out over his very stupid comment. I mean I am the only one in my family that had UC, and am the only one with an ostomy because of it. But my sister and brother have both had a brain hemorraghe, my sister had breast cancer, and all of us suffer with depression. None of us would dream of even joking that it was something to do with our mum. My daughter was born deaf and I did everything to the book, didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't take medication, ate well, etc. It's just one of those things.

Garnetfairy - ok I am going to show my ignorance now, but I never realised chiropractors could work on muscular problems, I just thought they sorted bone problems out. I suffer a LOT with my back and the doctor told me that it's a muscular problem. If a chiropractor could help I wouldn't mind spending to have both myself and Daren seen. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am sorry to hear that you are still feeling unwell, what did the doctor say, did he give you any medicine? As for the scales try not to worry too much about the 3 lbs difference, every scale reads differently. My doctors scales always say I way 5 lbs more than my home one. So I know which ones I go by, mine, I am sure when you weigh at the club again you will see a loss, and definitely not a gain.

That's brilliant that you did the Leslie Sansone DVD and that you enjoyed it. I have a similar one, it's a salsasize one, but it has progressive work outs on it, I can just about do the first one, and I really love it. I hope you can convince your dad to let you have a single bed. I know you are living at home, but surely the furniture you have in your room should be up to you. Good luck with convincing your dad anyway.

kATIE - hello and You have done so brilliantly to lose the 25 lbs, you should be proud of how well you are doing. Try not to focus on why you let yourself get to the size you are now. Focus on the fact that you are doing something about it now, and that your hard work and will power will see the lbs coming off again. Forgive yourself for getting 'big' and work on getting back to a nice slim you!

BeingMe - hello and to you too. It's lovely to have so many new people join. I hear you on the prejudice of the people where you live. It's one of the reasons when I am well that I worry about going for jobs. I know nobody wants to hire somebody that they either see as lazy, or they think if they hire me it's not a good look for the company. One of my reasons to lose weight is so that I can more easily find work.

I hope you will post often and that you find all the support and friendship here that we all enjoy.

Honiangel - you boast away girl, don't apologise for coming here to share a great achievement. For you to exercise even though you didn't make good food choices is brilliant!! It shows you are still in control of your diet and that just because you eat something you shouldn't it doesn't mean you have to forget about exercising

Zelma - reading your post where you said about enjoying the caves and more importantly being small and fit enough to actually go there is really wonderful. I can't wait to the day when I can start enjoying stuff that I can't do now because of my size. Until then I can enjoy reading your success stories, it's very inspiring.

Heather - hello and I am glad you found us here, a more supportive group of people you will be hard pushed to find. I am sorry that following WW didn't seem to be doing you much good, what diet are you following now. It's good that you can see a dietician about and get some advice from her. It's also good that she says you have lost 20 lbs not just the 10 lbs that you had thought you had lost.

Apart from when you are in a place that you really don't like, how do you enjoy being a Naval wife? My step daughter wants to join the Navy, either as a chef or a steward. Should I encourage her or try to get her interested in a civvy job??

Michelle - I have the old WATP video and at 329 lbs it's TOO energetic for me. I am sure that it would definitely work to get the lbs off if I could do it. I WILL do it eventually, just not yet!!

Funny how you asked about how getting over 300 lbs has effected life for any of us. When I am 329 lbs I have the hardest time with my back, with my legs, with even trying to put my own socks on. Even wiping myself after having a wee is really difficult. I lose 20 or so lbs, and although I don't look much different, the back and leg pain lessens, I can get my socks on, although still can't tie laces on my shoes, I can go to the toilet easier, I can turn in bed easier. So yes, it's amazing what a difference being 329 makes from being close to 300 or under.

Jill - good on you for having your treat and then staying on track after that. A person like me would probably have said, oh well I was bad already, so who cares what I eat when I go out. That's why I am not losing weight like you are lol. Keep up the good work

Dogpal - thank you for hoping that Daren will be ok, he is zonked out with pain killers but at least they are doing the job and he has been able to eat a bit today. It's such a worry to have any chest pains no matter what causes them, so we are both feeling a bit better now that he is getting some pain relief.

Good luck with the Interview, please let us know how it went.

A few of you have been talking about clothes size. I have to wear a 30/32 top but that's because I want it long enough to cover my butt which is a 30/32. If I was to wear a top that only went to my waist I could get away with a 26/28. I have a huge butt, and if I buy trousers or a skirt the waist is always huge on me and I need to either sew a tuck in it, or if I am lazy put a pin in it lol so that it will fit. I am hoping when the weight comes off and I can go to a gym or something that I will be able to tone up and try to change my body shape a bit so that my waist isn't a lot smaller than my butt!!

Oh and I forgot to mention what a good girl I have been. Yesterday I was so tempted to comfort eat, especially when I saw all the sweets in the shop where I went to buy Daren some stuff for in hospital. I hadn't had lunch and had a huge array of gorgeous sandwiches to choose from. Not only did I not buy sweets, but I also chose a healthy option sandwich too. So way to go me for not using a bad situation as an excuse to break my diet. I'm learning!!!

Well it's time to go make a nice big saucepan of homemade soup. Yum. I hope everybody has had a good day, and I will try to post later. If not then I will be back tomorrow.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #15  

Thanks for the welcome everyone
Ammi, as far as the Navy goes, I love it, my husband loves it, the benefits are good and its very secure. Sure, when he is on sea duty he has to go away for periods of time, but they are never more than about 6 months, unlike the Army where they are gone for a year or more at a time...
I love the fact we get to live in many places, travel, see the world...the pay is steady, we don't have to pay for medical insurance, there are lots of other benefits like a free gym to work out in (although I am still to scared to do so! LOL) and when you do live on base, your housing is very secure. The problem I am having here is that I am a city girl and used to having things to do, where as here its nature only! Hunters, fishermen and campers would be in heaven. Dont get me wrong, its beautiful, we live right on the Bay, but its boring. The second part of the problem is, well, Navy wives! Not all of us are bad, but I think the poster children for "b***hyist women, backstabbing to feel better about themselves" women live here.
I am a grown woman, and the other women in my direct area oink and call me names when I walk by....its no wonder kids are killing each other, if they have parents like this!

Enough about my nasty neighbors, sorry that was so long. Back to the Navy...if I didn't have kids, and could lose the weight, I would join myself, I love the lifestyle alot Hubby has been in 7 years this Feb. and we are planning on staying the full 20 so he can retire with a nice pension and full benefits (ohhh, to be able to retire at 39 LOL)

Have a great day everyone
Closed Thread