Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #1  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

Default Ok, now I cant stay off the scale!

I read a post the other day about staying off the scale. Well, I was doing good when I first started, by only weighing in every Tuesday. The first week I lost 8 lbs and was so excited. Then when I went to weigh in last Tuesday, I was soooooo very excited. I had done really good all week, exercised every day, I was thinking I was going to lose good this week (lol) . I hop on the scale and I lose NOTHING! I cried! I couldnt believe it!! All the day I was super bummed. But I didnt let that stop me. I ate good, didnt exercise, cuz I went on strike for the day lol. The next morning when I woke up, I was down 2 lbs!! I was excited again!! I didnt weigh in yesterday, but I did today and I was down 2 lbs again! I know I shouldnt do it, but now i cant stop myself. I keep weighing in every other day!
Help me lol!! I just hope that when I weigh in on Tuesday, that I wont be down!

Thanks for listening!!

Last edited by purplecrush; 01-20-2006 at 11:56 AM.
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #2  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

I weigh myself every couple of days, too. It gives me something to look forward to and it helps me guage how I'm doing in mini-increments. Just don't let it get you down in you've maintained for 2 days - keep going!
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #3  

Yeah... I weigh myself almost everyday. I think it is just more of a habit at this point but I like to do it. I helps me stay motivated. I just keep in mind that I can't freak out if I fluctuate up and down a little because I do weigh myself everyday. There are a lot of variables that go into what you are weighing in- time of day, how much water you are retaining, if you just excercised... etc.
lucky_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I weigh myself most days, but I don't get too hung up on the numbers. My ticker says 169 but this week it's ranged between 168.25 and 170. That's not actually a huge variation, and sometimes it can be more than that, but I don't pay too much attention to it. I weigh myself more for a reminder of why I'm doing this. Even if I don't pay too much attention to the number, the very act of getting onto the scales when I get to the gym can rev me up for a good workout as I think about how many pounds of fat I can blast into oblivion.

For me, seeing the numbers move around is good because it helps me understand fluctuations and not get upset about them, but some people get more worked up by what the scale says, and if you're one of those people then regular weighing might not be the best thing if you want to stay sane!

It really does depend on what's right for you, and I don't think there's a simple answer that will work for everyone. If you're happy and it motivates you then it's not a problem. If it depresses you or makes you want to give up, it is.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

I can totally relate. I just bought a new scale last weekend and I've been constantly going back and forth between the new and old to make sure the difference is still the same. So far I've been weighing every day. It's been lower each day but I know that on my official weigh-in day of Monday, that loss might not be the same. I'm with Helen, I just roll with the punches.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

One of the diet books I read indicated that you should weigh every day. But the way she recommended that you do it is that you do a "weekly weight averaging" to determine your "true" weight.

Every day our scales may fluxuate up or down a little due to water changes. So she would have you weigh every day and then average the results and record that weekly weight average on a chart. That way even though your weight may vary day by day, you can see by your average that you really are losing over all.

I liked that idea. It made it so that one day's weight isn't that important and if you only weigh in once a week, suppose that is your "high" day for the week? Then the number you see is a discouragement rather than the encouragement you are looking for.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I know just how you feel, and i don't think there's anything wrong with it...but i was up to weighing myself like twice a day every other day....it gets to the point where you feel addicted!!! I finally bit the bullet and shoved my scale into the hall closet next to my bathroom. It works for me because I can't see it in the morning when I'm sleepy, so I don't remember it until later.

Try taking the batteries out and putting them in anther room, or moving the scale where you can't see it. Of course, if you aren't as hung up on it as I was, then you should be fine, like YP1 said.

Congrats on the weight loss though!
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #8  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

Thanks for all the replies. I think Ill continue to get on my friendly scale. I get more motivated when I hop on and im down a lb or two. When I see that, I get my butt up and start moving!! And if im ever up (hope to goodness im not) Ill just get my butt up and start moving too!

Im glad to see im not alone!!
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote