General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Exclamation I knew corn syrup was bad but....

This says corn syrup (like in soda) may be stored DIRECTLY as fat! Yikes! No wonder I gained so much from my soda habit!

Scientists have identified a new enemy in the fight against obesity: fruit sugars. A study by University of Florida researchers found that fruit sugars — contained in sweeteners like fructose and corn syrup — might set up a biochemical reaction in your body that causes your cells to store the sugar directly as fat! And that, researchers say, leads to fast and easy weight gain. That same biochemical reaction can raise your risk for another serious health threat: metabolic problems, such as type 2 diabetes.

Fruit sugars have taken over our diets in the past few decades, thanks to our tendency to reach for what's convenient. Corn syrup can be found in a wide variety of convenience foods, most notably in sodas and processed foods. So what can you do to escape the cycle? Opt for water instead of soda, and wholesome foods made from scratch instead of premade meals. Remember to read your labels! Fruit sugars are sneaky, and may be lurking in foods you don't suspect. And any ingredient that tells your cells it's time to start storing fat is one you want to steer clear of!

MEMBERS GET MORE! Find healthy eating strategies on Denise Austin's
Old 01-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #2  

I don't think sugar is bad it is high fructose corn syrup that is starting to be the obvious obstacle toward successful weight loss and remaining healthy overall. It was said to be bad a long time ago but we all didn't know and some didn't listen. Even now we still have no change and we know through research that this stuff makes u hungrier right after u eat anything that has this stuff in it. Also, it can cause other bad health problems cause it affects blood sugar levels in a way that the body cannot and should not be forced to handle. This stuff is poison but, in my honest opinion, like oil problems-price and alternatives, nothing is gonna happen to take this stuff out and keep other similar stuff like it out of our foods and drinks. Why? Money. There is no real reason to have this stuff in our food and in some cases much much healthier and still cheap alternatives can be used, but they aren't used. I don't want to sound like I think or believe there's a conspiracy going on but it is about money in the end. We eat more of this stuff too making them all more money, and we eat it cause this stuff makes us hungrier after we have even one serving. This seems really disgusting and makes me angry in all truth.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #3  
Getting back on track

Tobetheman - you are so right! It is disgusting! It bugs me that natural products like stevia can't be legally officially used to sweeten foods yet, because it hasn't been researched and approved - BUT high fructose corn syrup, which has been proven to be bad for us and is probably a major contributor to many of the health problems that are so prevalent today is still used freely!

I am trying to keep it out of my children's diet as much as I can. I think it is a major contributor to the higher incidence of diabetes at younger ages that we see so much now.

I could get on a soapbox about it, too, but guess I'll stop here!!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #4  

I am so glad the word is getting out I hope people start paying more attention to what they but in there bodys when I first started losing weight I gave up only one thing from my diet and that was sodas. I use to drink a six pack a day, and I always felt tired. In know time I had lost 30 pounds just from giving up one thing that was before I got into exercise and better eating.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #5  
Getting back on track

Exclamation

Flip

Thanks for sharing that info! I feel like the majority of my weight problem has been from soda! I calculated it once and according to my math, I should lose 60 pounds in a year just from giving up soda!

I was so addicted to it, it was ridiculous! I would leave my house and drive to the store for no purpose other than to buy a 32 oz soda! I could easily drink three of those a day! I would feel like crapola and keep drinking them anyway. I am so happy not to be enslaved to soda anymore, which is really how it felt!
Closed Thread