Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Does anyone eat flax seed?

Hi,

I've noticed that someone who posts their fitday diet consumes flax seed daily. Her diet seems to be very healthy so I assumed that the flax seed must be healthy as well. Plus it just SOUNDS healthy.

Does anyone have any information about it?
Taste? Benefits of using?

Thanks for any info!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #2  

I use the Bob's Red Mill brand; its website probably has good nutrition info. I add it to oatmeal (already ground up). I also use it in muffins and bars. Great source of Omega 3 fatty acids; also research shows high doses of Omega 3s can be helpful for depression and other mental illnesses.

There is also cold flax seed oil for salad dressing. You have to keep it in the fridge and use it fairly quickly. Can't bake with it.

I get these items at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or supermarkets with a big organic foods selection.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #3  
LLV

Whole or ground flax seed is best. I have a box of ground flax seed that I'll occasionally sprinkle onto my cereal in the morning. But I've read this about the oil...

Taking flaxseed oil alone may be of little benefit to your health. Combine it with good, raw complete protein. This isn't a problem if consuming the whole flaxseed, which contain that protein.

Do not exceed one tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily. Excessive amounts may inhibit normal blood clotting ability.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

so much for the excellent information!

I'll have to try it!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #5  

I have read that ground flax seed is best, but it needs to be refrigerated. I sprinkle it on cereal and fruit. Whole flax seed just passes through your system because it does not get digested. I never heard about the flax oil affecting blood clotting ability though....interesting
Chubbymama30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #6  

My bread recipe calls for ground flaxseed!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbymama30
I have read that ground flax seed is best, but it needs to be refrigerated. I sprinkle it on cereal and fruit. Whole flax seed just passes through your system because it does not get digested. I never heard about the flax oil affecting blood clotting ability though....interesting
Just something I read on a nutrition website. But it doesn't mean it's gospel

You know how it is - one day eggs are good for you, the next day they're bad. One day carbs are good for you, the next day they're taboo.

So who knows?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

I take flaxseed capsules in the mornings and I also use ground flaxseed. I sprinkle it on salads, mix it in soups and chilis, put it in meatloaf, mix it with the seasonings for chicken, etc.

It's supposed to have the same type of benefits that fish oil does - flaxseed is just the plant version of fish oil.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #9  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

S/C/G: 165/155/135

Height: 5'6"

I use flaxseed in my oatmeal, it adds a really nice nutty taste, and makes it more filling. I always use fresh ground though, my nutritionist told me that it was more effective that way (I think the nut taste is stronger too), so I keep a coffee grinder just for that.
swingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I put flax seed in my husband's - oatmeal, muffins, bread, etc... because he is allergic to fish. Flax seed is high in omega-3 fatty acid. You can use it ground as a substitute for oil in recipes. Keep it dark - light breaks down the nutrients, and keep it refridgerated. It will spoil due to the high fat content.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 AM   #11  
resident lactivist

I have a lot of low-carb recipes that call for it. I love it because it is very filling. Stuff stinks to high heavens when it's cooking, though. I don't care for fish at all, so it's my main source of EFAs. Also, its high fiber content helps keep you regular. Almost TMI, but it came in quite handy after my last birth in the form of Uncle Sam cereal. (If memory serves, that cereal has your RDA of fiber, or close to it.)
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

This is popular in a lot of low carb diets believe it or not. Particularly one called The Four Corners Diet. They feature ground flax seed in many of their recipes. I use it quite a bit. The meal doesn't keep well so unless you use a lot of it, it is better to buy the seeds and grind them as you need them in the coffee grinder. As mentioned previously, they smell terrible but taste fine. They have tons of fiber and are an excellent source of omega 3's. I've never tried the golden ones. Has anyone else?
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingchick
I use flaxseed in my oatmeal, it adds a really nice nutty taste, and makes it more filling. I always use fresh ground though, my nutritionist told me that it was more effective that way (I think the nut taste is stronger too), so I keep a coffee grinder just for that.
Yeah, it's great to sprinkle on hot cereal.

I also eat a hot cereal called Hodgson Mill Multi Grain w/ milled flaxseed and soy. Really good, although I like my oat bran cereal better.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I put mine in a shake and it doesn't change the taste at all.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #15  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I'm a huge fan of flaxseed. I use flaxseed as a preventive for breast cancer (I am a breast cancer survivor). It has been proven in clinical trials at the University of Toronto to reduce the size of existing tumors http://www.cancure.org/flax.htm

It is also thought to help prevent prostate cancer in men. Men, especially, should be careful not to consume too much flax oil, as this may possibly have a negative effect if taken in too large a dose. Here is a very good website which explains in detail the pros and cons of different oils and their relationship to cancer (especially prostate cancer) http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/u...x_prostate.htm

My husband and I eat 2 tbsp. of freshly ground flax seed per day. He just mixes it in water and gulps it down. I put mine in my daily protein shake.
We use a regular coffee grinder to grind the seeds to a fine powder. We prefer the taste of golden flax seed, which we buy in bulk from the internet. I don't think there is much nutritional difference between golden and regular flax, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Flax is also a great way to stay "regular". It contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, which is very good for your digestive system (especially people with IBS). It's best to start with a small amount (1 tsp. per day) and work up to a couple of tablespoons once your system has adjusted to the extra fiber.

It is very important to use freshly ground flax in order to get the maximum benefit. Flax has a very limited shelf life once it has been ground and soon becomes oxidized, or rancid. Whole flax seeds have a shelf life of about 10,000 years! They have an extremely thick husk, which is why you must grind them before eating. It's pretty useless to eat whole flax seeds as they will just pass mostly undigested through your system.

The good thing about using the whole seeds is that they do not require refrigeration.

Heating the flax seeds destroys their nutrients. You may still get some fiber from it if it is cooked, but that's about all. Cooking will also alter the alpha linoleic acid in flax, which is not a good thing (see above website).

Last edited by penpal; 01-21-2006 at 03:57 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote