Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Default Indian Food

Anyone know how to behave at an Indian restuarant? (I mean eating wise.) I was thinking of sticking to veggies and bread but I am not sure of the content calorie wise. I am just feel so much better after last week I would like to go out and see my friends. I would love to get out of the house.

Any ideas?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #2  

you're safe with dahl (curried lentils) and things in tomato based sauces(just leave most of the sauce behind) stay away from butter chicken for obvious reasons! I'm on ww and the bread can be pretty brutal so I stick to the chick peas and lentils and veggies
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #3  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

As Susie said, sauces with a tomato base are probably the safest. Most dishes in Indian restaurants are cooked in ghee (clarified butter), and therefore are really delicious... I mean, high in fat and kcals. If you're really concerned, ask the waiter how the various dishes are prepared, and ask if he can recommend something more plainly cooked.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I love Indian food. Tandoori chicken is probably a good choice if you are going to a restraunt that serves meat. It is chicken baked in a yogurt and spice mixture and not very saucy. Aloo is potato, Gobi is cauliflower and Saag is spinich.

I found this on another site:

Eating Out on a Diet: Indian Food
Article written by Juliette Kellow BSc SRD
Spicy Indian meals can be a great choice because even a small portion can satisfy your taste buds. Go for a really hot curry such as a vindaloo or madras if you can bear it – you’ll find it hard to eat too much! Bear in mind that many dishes are packed with calories and fat because large amounts of oil or ghee (clarified butter) are used. To cut the calories, choose dishes that include rice as part of the meal such as biriyani – that way you don’t need to order an extra portion of rice.

Poppadoms
These make a much better starter than bhajis or samosas, which are packed with fat and calories. Each poppadom contains just 65 calories. Top it with raita (cucumber dip) and tomato sambal (chopped tomato and onion) rather than higher-calorie mango chutney or lime pickle.

Curry
Vegetable, chicken and prawn curries tend to have a slightly lower calorie content than those made with beef or lamb and so are a better choice. It’s often the rich sauce that boosts the calorie content so spoon as much of the meat and vegetables on your plate as you want but leave the sauce behind in the dish.

Curries cooked in creamy sauces are the worst. Masala dishes, for example, are made with cream and ground almonds, while pasanda dishes are cooked with cream.

If you’re thinking of your waistline, go for tandoori, tikka or bhuna dishes as they’re made without a sauce or are quite dry.

Rice
Without a doubt the best accompaniment for curry is plain boiled rice, which contains around 370 calories per portion. Pilau rice has oil added to it and with 650 calories in a portion it’s best to give it a miss. And if you’re going to fill up on curry, give the Naan bread a miss – each one contains around 300 calories!

Indian Food Calorie Content:

Calories per typical serving

Starters
Cucumber raita, 1tbsp 20
Tomato sambal, 1tbsp 20
Mango chutney, 1tbsp 60
Poppadom, each 65
Lime pickle, 1tbsp 70
Onion bhaji, each 190
Vegetable samosa, each 260
Meat samosa, each 320

Main courses
Tandoori chicken 300
Aloo gobi 330
Vegetable curry 350
Keema madras 450
Aloo saag 500
Beef madras 540
Vegetable biriyani 550
Lamb bhuna 680
Chicken tikka masala 680
Chicken curry 700
Rogan josh 700
Chicken dhansk 720
Beef kheema 780
Chicken korma 870
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Nancy, thanks for the info! It's not as bad as I thought it was.

::drools:::
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i love chicken and lamb vindaloo! not for the faint hearted or the weak stomarched but mmmmmmmm is it good. not sure about the calories content but its one of the best cures of cold and flu i know just burns them away
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I love indian food. I've taken to making it at home. It's a challenge for the novice but definately worth it. I recommend the book:

The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi

Fabulous book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052...books&v=glance
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote