Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

Default Coffee

How bad is coffee really? I've had such a craving for it lately. I'm not really talking starbucks either (although a vanilla latte sounds soooo good). I made myself a large cup of black coffee and to it I added equal and literally just a splash of milk. Is that that bad? I've heard it speeds up your metabolism slightly too, is that true? Just wondering...
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #2  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

If it's bad - then I am bad. Actually, the bad thing I have heard is that it leaches calcium from your bones. But all things in moderation. I am not planning on giving it up. There was a time when I thought that I couldn't drink it without milk. I have come to enjoy very much though a nice medium roast made in a coffee press, plain. My drug of choice.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

Yeah see as a child i used to HATE HATE HATE the taste of coffee. That was until reciently when I went to starbucks. But really, lately I've just had such a craving. I've also heard about it taking calcium from your bones. I'm also hypothyroid and take synthroid which I've also heard takes calcium from your bones. I'm really thinking if I'm going to drink coffee I should start taking a calcium supplement.

Do you have a favorite brand of coffee? The stuff we have here at the house is Hills Bros. and my family makes it super super super super super strong so I can't stand to have it plain.
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I drink 4 or 5 cups of black coffee everyday. I hasn't seemed to harm me one bit. It does have a nutrient, diuretic leaching effect tho' so moderation is, indeed, the key word here.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #5  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

A calcium supplement plus strength training may be just the thing to counter the bad effects. Not an expert though.

I have been drinking the Millstone brand.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #6  

I recently heard that drinking coffee decreases the chances of breast cancer. It has many other benefits but now I forget. Sorry.
Deelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Some new studies have recently show that moderate consumption of coffee is okay.

A good thing to do is to make drink water after having a coffee as it does dehydrate you and making sure you get enough calcium as caffeine inhibits the body's ability to absorb calcium.

I limit myself to one regular coffee a day and then switch to decaf tea or herbal tea. I can't live with out my cup o joe first thing in the morning
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote