Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #1  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

S/C/G: 165/155/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Need Ideas

So, I have the best intentions in the world, but the fact is, I have an oral fixation: I just need something to do with my mouth (while studying, on the computer, etc). What are some non-food ways that I can occupy myself?
swingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #2  

Maybe chew on your tooth brush??? Your teeth will be clean, you won't feel like eating cause you won't want to ruin your fresh breath! Or maybe try toothpicks?
Paulina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #3  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

sugar free lolly pops
sugar free gum

the tooth brush idea is a good one, or really any plasticy type thing you can chew on that ya cant actualy end up eating
Tayja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #4  

If I'm baking or don't want to keep picking at food, I'll put on some Crest whitestrips...totally gross if you try and sneak a bite, plus you'll get some great looking teeth!
clk48817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #5  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

Thanks for the ideas. I have especially hard trouble when I'm out of the house but have snacks in my bag (I'm on SB, and I don't get home all day, so I usually have two with me) so the sugar-free lolly-pop idea seems like it would work best. The other ideas should work at home, and it sounds like I'll have gorgeous, healthy teeth if I follow them. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I chew sugar free gum if I'm just bored! I also usually have a pen or a pencil in my mouth at work!! (I know, I'm such a child!)

Ok and this is embarrassing! Sometimes at home if I'm feeling the need for comfort food.. I sometimes suck my thuimb! I never did when I was a child, I'm just a wierdo now!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I did this when I was in college especially--long hours at the computer desk researching and writing papers...anyway, I would have a big bottle of water (or Crystal Light if I really wanted flavor) with a straw. I chewed on the straws like crazy--good thing you can usually get a pretty good-sized box of them at the dollar store
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #8  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

Thanks for the straw idea, I'm going to have to try that! (now I just need to find where I stashed them ). I bought a couple different flavors of sugar-free candy today, so that is an option too. And I'm thinking of brushing my teeth right after dinner. Any other ideas?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #9  

I heard that you actually drink more water if you drink with a straw! Good for your need to chew on something AND to reach your water quota for the day!

Ann
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #10  

I don't know if this is going to label me as insanely orally fixated, but I cut off the top tip of those cheap bic pens that are everywhere in the office and chew on them when I'm at my computer or something.

It sounds odd, but it's really very logical--
1--most gum is sweet or minty, and after a while that gets tired for me (don't know why). . .
2. I chew on the ends of my pens anyway, and got tired of them exploding on me. . .
3. People who see me assume it's gum

It works for me. . .just don't ever swallow--actually EATING non-food items is some sort of disorder, and wouldn't want to cross that particular line.
;-)
watercolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #11  

water and green tea are my best friends when I want something.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #12  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

I'm really going to try to incorporate water instead of those snacks, so the pre-emptive plan is to drink at least 80 oz of water today, so that I'm too full to snack. Thanks again for the ideas, and keep them coming!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #13  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I chew gum as well when I'm bored and feel like snacking. I've looked at sugar free gum and have found they usually have 10 calories more than the gum I usually chew (Orbit)... but sugarfree may work for you.

Definately go for gum though :P
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #14  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

I got an idea when I was shopping for girly products this evening (when I am normally tempted to grab a snack to take home): I can't snack if I have wet nail polish on! So I bought some nail polish, and am going to start painting my nails when I get the urge to snack. Bonus: I'll have pretty red nails! (I'm a sucker for red )
Old 01-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #15  

Another good one I remembered that has helped me---ice. It "tricks" me into thinking I am having something solid when I am trying to hold out for another hour or two until I eat. Also helps me get in more water.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote