Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 238 Jan 16 - 21

Good morning LWL!
It's finally COLD here! I started knitted a scarf and should be done by april First time I've done any knitting in...oh, maybe 20 years. The new funky yarns are fun!

Chest and cardio for me. Eats have been ON and the scale is inching back down.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning, Mel! Morning, everyone! (It's afternoon here but I'm feeling quite breezy!)

Have been to gymn. Very good chest and triceps workout. And 45 mins steady cardio with MTV classic hits. Including I'm a Believer by the Monkees. I know all the words despite hardly ever hearing it since I was 11. I must get something downloaded onto my free iPod shuffle! This is getting urgent.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

on the gym Mel and Silverbirch!

I've just done 25 minutes jogging non-stop and there was still energy left in the tank, so I ran the last 55 secs faster! I was really dreading going out today since it's grey and rainy and horrible! But I went out and did it anyway and I feel sooooooooo much better for it!

Had a great weekend! I learned important things at my kickboxing lesson on Saturday, and not just the next technique. Turns out the problems with my back kicks are all in my head! (And here's me thinking they told me I had a crap back kick.... ) I usually do my back kick, fall over/off balance and laugh. My teacher had me "not laugh". So 3 non-laughing-back-kicks later and he said they were the best I'd done all lesson. He reckons that by laughing at myself through embarrassment/pride/annoyance/whatever I set myself up to fail, "Oh it doesn't matter, try again." He said, stop laughing, stop thinking it doesn't matter you can try again. Do it how I would do it for a grading. No laughing!

So today, instead of setting myself up to fail by thinking 25 minutes was too long and too far and I'd never do it, I just got on with it. I listened to my music, concentrated on my breathing and thought about kickboxing.

Saturday evening we went to a Jamie Cullum concert, which was my Xmas/Birthday present (grrrrrrrr) from DF. It was great! I really really enjoyed it lots!

Sunday I tied myself to the bed since I wanted to do lots of kickboxing but it was my REST day! I managed a 3 hour nap in the afternoon and erm.. lots of eating!

Got kickboxing teaching this evening, something else I learned on Saturday, I am the better teacher of the 2 of us doing fast-track black belt! HA! (not that I'm competitive, not at all!) oh and the guy who was a pain in the *** and beating me senseless and dropping me on the floor, he's not a real black belt! HA! And double HA! HA! HA! HA!

Then UBW (can't remember if it's tris or bis or shoulders or what!) and a nice early night ready for the next onslaught of physical torture!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #4  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch
And 45 mins steady cardio with MTV classic hits. Including I'm a Believer by the Monkees. I know all the words despite hardly ever hearing it since I was 11.
You know, SB, I'm often puzzled by not being able to remember where I've left my car keys -- but still being able to sing all the verses to the sitcoms of the 60s and 70s (Gilligans Island, Green Acres, Brady Bunch etc). Obviously I must have filled up my limited stock of gray cells years ago.

Knitting, Mel! Make me a sweater?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I like to knit too. Maybe not today (chest and triceps yesterday, back and bi's the day before). I decided a couple of Christmases ago to make afghans for all DH's neices and nephews. Nobody on that side of the family knits. I'm on number 4 with only 10 to go. They should stop having babies on that side

I'm not sure which day of my workout it is today. Freudian! But I'll get at it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #6  

First BFL workout today. (upper body) It was a lot,lot tougher than i had anticipated. Even though i started doing some weights 3 or 4 months age i now realise i've only really been playing at it.This was the first time it made my heart beat faster or that i was so focused i had no idea what was going on around me in the rest of the gym. I must admit i felt a little bit intimidated when the trainer took me over to testosterone corner but once i got started i forgot all about it.

Even though i felt pathetically feeble to begin with that has just made me more determined to see this thing through.

(Cardio tomorrow but i've got a feeling somebody will need to help me get my clothes on )
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #7  

Hi LWL,

Weekend 's over, we're back on monday!. Mel - knitting??? Do they make extra heavvy needles or does it count as cardio ??? Bravo on the clen food though, and I bet it is really difficult to much at a bag of chips when you have 2 hands occupied with the needles!

Lats of work today.. I have to increase my hours on the companies doctors advise, but he has advised to spread this over the day so the new plan is to go to work in the mornings and do 1 - 2 hours at home in the afternoon. i still have to get used to thisa new routine, and I have not figured out when i excercise.

I went to my mother in laws birthday yesterday, which was Ok really. She and my father and law had asked me specifically to come and it was nice to see them & my sisters in law again. the only bad moment was when I wanted to leave, and one SIL warned me to wait a bit because NL was picking up XH and was waiting in the parking lot. I really cannot see why XH had arranged it this way, but I suspect this was a try for NL, who was not invited, to still see if she could gate crash the party. NOt so, she has waited for XH in the parking lot, with all of us in the restaurant knowing she was outside.

Good news on the excercise front: A friend of mine has joined our revamped gym in the next village. She went to a "power" lesson last week & said it was a good workout. Apparently you lift weights to music ????? But she is picking me up in about 1 hour, and we're going to check out if we will rejoin the gym!! That would be really nice IMO, because I always enjoyed going to the gym with her in the past.

Have a nice day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

Hello lifting ladies!

I did got through my mega workout day yesterday! Running at lunch (oh yeah ), kickboxing teaching with lots of demonstration, then UBW with bent over barbell rows - I decided that I couldn't be bothered to take my 25lb plates off the barbell and put on my piddling little plates to make up 35lb so I ended up barbell rowing 50lbs - and it was GOOD! I should be lazy more often! I wonder what other things I can increase like that.

Today is an easy day, just one hour of kickboxing. Whilst waking up in the shower this morning I was thinking that this time a year ago a Tuesday kickboxing class was all I was doing! (Oh, and I weighed the same BTW!!!) However I have loads more energy now and am loving all the extra stuff I do!

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #9  

I did a very small bit of shoulders last night. My arms are just whipped from doing bi's and tri's. I think I'll mix my days up a bit. The other thing that is probably having an effect is that I ate very poorly for a few days. Tsk, tsk.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #10  

Hi LWL,

I went to the "power" class with my friend yesterday evening and it was Ok !!. I am a little sore today, but not much. I am considering to join the gym, but I don't know if its worth the expense (you can only join for a whole year) so I'll check this out some more.

Still, going with a gym budyy might be just what I need to get back to excercise!!

Have a great day,
Rabbit
Old 01-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #11  

That's better! 45 minutes of legs. I did some odd little things that I don't usually do and it was fun. I'm going now to see if DH will help me with some heavy squats.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

Mornin'!

Had an almost perfect day yesterday (thank you Susan!) with less kickboxing than I'd hoped but I enjoyed myself teaching a Tuesday class for a change.

Running planned at lunch and weights tonight, and ironing
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #13  

Hi LWL,

Still sore from the power workout. I think I'll join the gym, It will be fun to go to class with my friend, and to check out some other classes. At least it will mean one excuse less not to get myself in gear.

Have a nice day,
rabbit
Old 01-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Did a nice UBWO last night. Surprised one of the guys when I was using heavier weights than him on chest flys. Felt good afterwards too!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #15  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
the sitcoms of the 60s and 70s (Gilligans Island, Green Acres, Brady Bunch etc).
'Green Acres is the place to be
Something, something, something, familee'??

Actually, I shouldn't do that. I'm in bed with a tummy upset. Should be taking it easy not mucking about. Meg, you must be feeling a bit better!

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-18-2006 at 01:48 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote