View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
funniegrrl

After a lifetime of obesity, I finally started down the road to success when I STOPPED comparing my weight and rate of loss to others, and when I stopped worrying about how quickly it was or wasn't coming off. I was one who started a full program rather than making gradual changes. I didn't monitor my weight for 6 weeks, though, because I wanted to break the association between the scale and what I was doing -- making radical, life-long changes to how I lived. By focusing on "losing weight" all those years, and worrying about what the scale said every week, I started working on my thought process and behavoirs. If I did all the right things, the weight would come off. I resolved that I would be living like this for the rest of my life, so it didn't matter whether the weight came off in a year or 2 years or 5 years. What was important was that I built a healthy way of eating and moving in such a way that it was an integrated part of my life, not something I did to "lose weight" that would one day be finished.

That's not to say that it wasn't hard, and that I didn't experience impatience and sometimes stomp my feet in frustration. But, by taking the focus OFF the scale at the beginning, I taught myself that success doesn't come from a number, it comes from learning about myself, devising strategies, and meeting challenges. With those tools in my belt, I don't have to have the same numbers-driven result-oriented outlook that most dieters have, and that is what has kept me on track all this time.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote