Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #1  
twiggietwig

Talking I had gastric bypass surgery on 2/26/03

Hello, three years ago i had the R-N-Y done, i was 285 lbs, and now i am 110 lbs. for the first year i ate no carbs, i still continue to watch very carefully what i eat, i can only eat 3 ounces till this day. gastric bypass surgery is not for everyone, but if you do decide to make that decision, i suggest that you do some research about gastric bypass surgery, the different surgeries that are out there like the lap band, but also it is very important to make sure that you pick a doctor that you feel comfortable with and has no marks against his license do a complete back ground check on the doctor, you have that right. i did. gastric bypass surgery is not a quick fix, you have to work at losing weight, and getting to your goal weight and continue to work at it for the rest of your life by maintaining your weight. this is not an easy way out, and trust me people are going to say you are taking the easy way out. but they are wrong. you will lose friends, and you will make new friends, this surgery could destroy your marriage or your relationship with a boyfriend. just make sure you are doing this for you and no one else. if you are thinking about this surgery and you want to talk to someone who has already gone through this you can PM me. (by the way, i didn't lose my husband of 17 years, he has been my greatest supporter.
twiggietwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #2  

Good morning Twiggietwig. And I bet your name really suits you now! Did you have any plastic surgery subsequent to all the weight loss? It sounds like you've come out on the other side of this process feeling very clear and strong. Pleased to meet you.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #3  
twiggietwig

Talking Nice to meet you too Hubs

I have not had any plastic surgery after gastric bypass surgery, i guess i was one of the luckest ones. but in my eyes i need plastic surgery. you have a great day hubs and its nice meeting you too.

my son calls me twig, so the name does fit...

twiggietwig
twiggietwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #4  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Twig, and thanks for sharing your story!
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #5  

Hi, I had mine on 12/8/05 so I'm just a newbie. I like to hear from those who've walked this road ahead of me. I hope that I can do as well as you. You're right-it certianly isn't the easy way out-but if we could have done it another way-and kept it off we would have. I have a long way to go-but I'm grateful for the opportunity.
livin4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #6  

I hate when I hear shows talking about weight loss and how some people take the "easy way out" with surgery. You are totally right, there is *no* easy way out, and certainly surgery does not fit in that catagory. We all know the hardest part will be maintaining the weight loss, no matter how you get there. I wish everyone the best who has gone down this road, who is thinking about it or however your weight loss journey.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #7  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

It is *not* "the easy way" out ~ it's hard as ****! First the pre-surgery testing, the liquid diet pre-op, the pain and stress of the surgery itself, physically, mentally and emotionally. Learning to eat all over again. Getting sick if you try a food that no longer agrees with you. Learning to compensate in other ways for the "emotional" eating. Learning to live and think a whole new way. Knowing that if you are non-compliant, that you can suffer from malnutrition and jeopardize your health ~ or gain the weight back and jeopardize it that way, and *still* be malnourished. Taking supplements for the rest of your life. Losing your hair. Losing the friends who can't seem to make the adjustment from fat you to lean you. Possibly losing a spouse.

Yeah, easy. Right.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote