Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #1  

Default January 16 Start, Week 1...join me?

Hi. I want to join a support group but so many of the threads look like they started a long time ago. Is anyone out there just starting like me? I'm 38, married with a son, age 11 and daughter age 9. I've done WW and Atkins in the past and both worked but didn't last. I'm going to start WW (on my own) tomorrow and I'm looking for some dieters to join me posting menus, recipes and general talk. I wrote to a thread last week but couldn't remember where I posted so I thought I'd just start a new thread and see if anyone joins me. I just weighed in at an eye-popping 218.8 (all time high). I'd like to lose about 50 lbs by this time next year. My initial goal is to get under 200 by the end of March.

I did my grocery shopping already and will start by making the 0 point soup. My main obstacles are laziness and lack of organization. Luckily, I'm off tomorrow so after breakfast and Day 1 of pilates, I'll try to do prep work and some menu planning for Week 1. I guess my weigh-ins will be on Mondays. If I don't see anyone join me, is there a thread I can join? I'd like to be with those who have about the same weight to lose. I need support desperately because I need to be accountable for writing down my food intake. I have an incredible sweet tooth. A friend who lost a lot of weight and has kept it off helped me go grocery shopping but she said I bought too many snacks. I think it's because I'm afraid I'll cheat without those safety nets!

I'm looking forward to hearing from others. Can anyone tell me how to make a weight loss graph on the bottom of the page?

Thanks, Maureen
MoNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'4"

Default January 16th--here we go!

Hi Maureen!

I know what you mean about so many boards that have been around for a while. I would like to join you in your mission to get started and stay motivated!

Like you, I have done WW before--and did find success and lost 30 pounds. Unfortunately I fell of the wagon and started back to some bad habits. But I really believe that WW is one of the best programs. It is the most realistic for long term success. But nothing works if you don't commit to it! I never made the 0 point soup before. But I remember hearing about it. I still think about point values in food. So this time I am going to dig up my WW books and start tracking points. Plus, I am going to start going to my local YMCA and do the treadmill, nautilus and some swimming.

A little about me: I am married, work full time and have two daughters age 11 and 12. I think it is really important to get them eating healthier as well. I have a huge sweet tooth, like you. I am trying to replace my sweet tooth with eating fruits and higher fiber snack cereal like Kashi (like I should). I did have some 1 pt bars before--and the stores carry a lot of tasty WW desserts. I just have to have something now and then. I think the first key is accountability and writing it all down.

You asked how to add the weight loss graph--you can go to your user CP and then edit your signature. That is where you insert your graph. I will update and add mine officially tomorrow. I plan to weigh myself at work--where there is an exact scale...then I will do my official weigh in every week at the same time. At least that is my plan to get started. Altogether I probably need to lose 100 pounds. I weigh around 250 now--I think a little more. I will find out tomorrow for sure. So my goal is to lose at least 50 by my birthday in September...one day at a time!

Hope you are having a happy and healthy day!

~Karen in Ohio
krngallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #3  
less me

Talking Yes I do

I would like to join you . I a, on a 1,000 carloies diet the problem is i'm not putting forth any effort but i know if i had a support person helping me and i'm helping them tha it will work it just team effort

Regina from Chicago
less me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 AM   #4  

Default Already we have 3!!!

I decided to check the site before bed and was so excited to see I had two replies. This gives me a better outlook for tomorrow knowing I have support because my husband is already having second thoughts about starting with me tomorrow.

Luckily this week work will be slow so I'll try to figure out the points for my "favorite" WW foods and recipes.

Thanks for the info on the weight graph. I also added my dog Molly's picture. I tried to find one of myself but they're all too far away...the pounds make me a little camera shy!

I'll talk to you tomorrow and thanks for being there. I'm sure these first few days will be the worst, especially seeing my husband came home with two loaves of stuffed bread tonight.

I dug up my scale and as I suspected am up to my all time high again. I hope I made a good goal, I'm trying for 199 by the end of March (my birthday). I'd love to fit into my size 14 shorts by summer (from when I lost on Atkins)

I'll talk to you girls tomorrow and hopefully some more new members! Thanks for being here.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #5  

Default Would like to join your group

I to have been looking around the site to find a group I can talk too and get support from. I hope you will let me in also.

I'm 34 Sahm of 3 boys 10, 7, 4 and married to Jim. Jim and I have started on wenesday of last week so I will be weighting in on that day. He needs to loss about 30lbs and I weighed in at my highest of 230. My first goal is to loss 11 lbs before Feb. 14 after that haven't set any goals yet. I am doing South beach but I really plan on is just eating healther for the rest of my life. I have started to excrise also.

Can't wait to share my journey with you all and get to know you all.
Stuckinasumosuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #6  

Default Hello Ladies!

Hi Regina, Karen & Cindy:

Ok girls, here's to a good week!

Regina WOW!! 1,000 calories a day, is that enough for you? I'd be passed out on the floor!

Cindy good luck with your goal, it's ambitous but we can do it together!

Karen: we'll have to conquer our sweet teeth together I'd love to swim but we don't have a pool near us, plus it's hard to find the time...(excuses already !). You'll have to kick my butt to get me exercising, today was easy because I'm off but once I start work tomorrow I get in a funk. I sit all day at work and it's not real busy, then I get lazy and tired from doing nothing.

Well anyway, DH weighed in today and says he's starting today too. He's not that computer literate so I told him I'd post his weight for him here just for accountability sake.

I did about 15 minutes of pilates (I have a bad hip/back) and it really helps, I feel a little relief already. So far I've just had tea. Do you know if we have to count sweet-n-low or equal on weight watchers? I don't even know what plan I'm on, I think the books were Success 1,2,3 but I'm not sure.

I'll post tomorrow what I eat today.

Again, welcome everyone!!! If you want, write your menus here. It will help with accountability and give others ideas. I'm off to make the veggie soup, maybe in the crockpot so I will be free to clean the house, it's disgustingly dirty
Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #7  

Default I'm looking for support as well and would love to join

Hello Ladies,

I too am looking for support and would love to join you all. There are alot of established ones out there already so it is nice to start out fresh....

I am a 31 (almost 32) year old mother of two Kayla (10) and Jake (11 months). I'm married, and have about 50 lbs I'd like to lose. I'm standing up in my friends wedding this summer (strapless dress) AHHHH!!!! and I refuse to be the biggest bridesmaid there. I'd like to lose at least 30 lbs by summer and hopefully with alittle support we can all make our goals together.

Chldomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #8  

Hi ladies,
I'd love to join in, too. I am a SAHM, at least temporarily, with my 3 month old. I have three sons and am 39. (one 10, 8, and 3 months!)

Little one's crying, gotta run!
gracegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #9  

Default Welcome!!

Welcome Grace and Chldomine

Wow Grace you are almost at goal, super!! You'll be our inspiration. Chldomine we'll get you into the dress by summer! I'm so excited our group is growing. I'm off to the store to buy DH a piece of fish, boy it's only day 1 and he's so crabby already! DH wasn't excited about the grilled veggie wraps I had planned on so I figured I'll get him some fish (yuck). I'm going to try the kids on ham steak tonight, hopefully they'll eat it, they're VERY picky eaters. It's funny we're all around the same age and have kids around the same age. I'll check in later because as you can see I'm off today and have nothing better to do!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #10  

Default Would Love To Join You

Wow - all these mom's and all the same types of "problems" staying on target. I just started WW and my first weigh in is Wednesday but other than having the flu for 2 days seems to be doing okay...but I also lack "motivation and energy" to pre-plan, which, with 7 kids, I must do to succeed. Can't wait to get to know you all :-)
HockeyMomX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #11  
One day at a time!

Hi all,

I am excited to see more joining in! I am on my way to the YMCA--just dropped in after work to say hi! Will check back soon! :-)

Hope everyone is having a happy and healthy day!

Karen in Ohio
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #12  

Thanks Maureen! Glad to be here.

You all are so motivated, eating fish and going to the YMCA. I must admit, my biggest downfall is lack of exercising. When do you guys find the time? Any suggestions on what works for you all? I work full time usually around 50 hours a week, so when I get home I'm pretty tired and the last thing I want to do is workout. I've got the equipment, treadmill, recumbent bike, la la la......... just no motivation......ahhhh

Andrea
Old 01-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

Hi all,

I did my YMCA swim as said I would--and I am feeling a tad bit sore! But I did it! I stayed in the pool for an hour and kept moving the whole time. The thing about swimming or water movement is it feels relatively easy when you are in the pool--actually refreshing. Then you get out of the pool and about an hour later I could feel a bit of soreness. But I know that is because it has been too long since I really moved my buns. But I know in a few days that will subside. I just feel proud I did it! Instead of being a big ole couch potato. Yeah!

Baby steps back in action, eh!

Andrea: It isn't always easy to find the time to exercise, especially between work, kids, school or whatever else may be on our plates (and I know all about all of the above--after just finishing my degree, having two pre-teens and working full time). I was finding time for other less important things--so why not squeeze in exercise--not to say that is always easy. And the truth is exercising does give you more energy--strange as it may seem. I think the hard part is sometimes just getting started. And from what I have read--you can get the same benefit from 3 mini workouts (like three 10 minute walks) as 1 full 30 minute session. So I think if it seems overwhelming--I think it helps to set a mini goal. Tell yourself that tomorrow you will do at least 5 or 10 minutes of something that interests you--even if that is a quick walk or turning on the stereo and dancing to an entire song. Whatever floats your boat! I have heard that another way to think of exercise is like brushing your teeth--you won't let yourself go without brushing--and really we should think of exercise as just as important to our daily health. Now, I am certainly just finding my way back to a good routine--but you have to start somewhere! I hope that helps.

Maureen: It sounds like you are off to a great start keeping track of your food and planning healthy meals. Today was a challenge for me in that department--as my friend had a birthday lunch planned. But I think I did okay. It was to a Tawainese restaurant--so I wasn't sure what was the most healthy--plus I am kind of picky and only like so many things from ethnic food groups. So I got my usual "Pad Thai (consist of noodles, peanuts and egg) and only ate half. Then my hubby was in a cooking mood and had made a roast with roasted potatoes and carrots. I think I did okay with that too--only had a single serving of each. I did not stuff myself all day--and only had single servings. Plus this morning I brought Kashi cereal to work and snacked on that for breakfast. Have you heard of that? It is a high fiber, protein enriched, low fat/low sugar cereal. I like to put in baggy's and just munch on it. I think it is a good alternative for munching on the run, or snacking for mid-morning/afternoon.

Regina: What made you decide to do a 1000 calorie a day diet? What kinds of foods are you filling up on? Are you feeling hungry? I always think that if I feel hunger in my belly that I have to eat something--and if not my metabolism will slow and that may defeat the purpose or make losing the weight a slower process...unless you can really stick to a restricted diet for a LONG time without going crazy. I know myself, and I have to keep the fuel on the fire (so to speak). That's why I am thinking in terms of healthy portions and choices and mini-healthy snacks in between meals. But that's just me--everyone has to find what is the best for them.

Talk to y'all more tomorrow! I am feeling pumped up and ready to make this the year of victory for the healthy new me! Rah rah rah! We can all do it!

~Karen in Ohio
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #14  

Default January 17th

Good morning ladies, It's good to see everyone is posting.

HockeymomX7, wow 7 kids! I'm the youngest of 8 and my husband from a family of 11 but our mothers were from a different generation, God Bless You! Especially if you're involved with hockey because I know from friends how time consuming that sport can be. Welcome !

Andrea: I'm with you, we'll get over this exercise hurdle together. Karen is right, we'll just have to take baby steps. I was thinking last night that I'd commit to doing pilates on Sat & Sun (my days off) and then try to force myself to do it either one morning or night during the week. With my work and commute, I'm gone 50 hours a week also and although I just sit at a desk, exercise is the last thing on my mind when I get home. Between laundry, cooking, cleaning, kids homework, etc there's no time left. DH did go for a two mile walk last night. I stayed home with the kids, besides it was way too cold and icy for me to go for a walk, plus we have no street lights or sidewalks in our neighborhood.

Karen: congrats on you swimming, an hour is great! I want my kids to start eating healthier too. My daughter asked if she could "go on the diet, it sounded like fun". I told her to just eat more fruits and veggies for now. Maybe our daughters will catch our new good habits!

Cindy: I've heard good things about the South Beach diet. Is it similar to weight watchers? Is is low carb/low fat combo? Regina, are you following a plan or just keeping to 1,000 calories on your own?

Cindy, Regina & GraceGirl, hello and we hope to hear from you soon! Anyone else new, come in and join us! Someone has a weigh in day tomorrow, I forgot who....good luck!

Maureen

1/16 menu: B: cereal w/ blueberries/tea 3.5
L: 1/4 tuna wrap/tea; 3
D: veg soup, grilled veggie wrap w/cheese 8
S: 2 1/2 graham cracker/FF hot cocoa 4
Misc. bites: few grapes, carrot, brocoli, cheese 3
Total points: 21.5 (this was so low because I slept very late and my B was really my lunch, my L was what my daughter left on her plate.)
Water: hardly any
Exercise: 15 minutes pilates
Vitmamins: taken
Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #15  

Thanks Karen for the advice you are right, we've just got to do it. In order to lose weight we've got to move and it does have wonderful benefits, in addition to giving you more energy it makes you feel good too, about yourself and just all around,,, its just doing it!!!!! I'm with Maureen, congrats on the hour swim that is impressive. I've got girlfriends who have been trying to get me to join their water aerobics class on Monday nights but I keep telling them no, I don't want to be seen in a bathing suit.

Cindy: My doctor told me after I had my son that the south beach diet is a great way to go. So good luck to you with it. I know some of the recipes beef up on the cheeses and you've got to watch out for some of those but overall it is supposed to be pretty good, even Prevention magazine boosts alot of the same beliefs in their articles.

Hockeymom: I think you are a saint with 7 kids, that is alot of work... Tell us your secret! I struggle sometimes with just the two.. =)

Thanks Maureen for starting this thread, I've got to tell you I'm pretty excited and I'm actually feeling some motivation here. I rode my bike last night for 25 minutes while I watched wife swap. I figured I can do it again tonight while I watch American Idol (I love the auditions) If I'm sitting there anyways I might as well move right?