Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #1  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Default Hypothyroidism

How does this affect dieting if it is untreated?
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #2  
Meg

Untreated hypothyroidism would make it more difficult to lose weight. But why would anyone with this problem refuse treatment?

Have you been diagnosed or is this something that you suspect might be going on? All it takes is a simple blood test (TSH) to find out whether this is an issue for you. Unfortunately, it can't be self-diagnosed with Internet questionaires.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

I have to agree with Meg. Also besides making loosing weight impossible (virtually) you can gain weight with lower cals, when I first was diagnosed with it 3 yrs ago, I went over my diet with my DR (being that I was just another fat girl wanting to lose weight to him) I went over my daily meals and everything, we (the dr and I) figured I was not taking in more than 1000 cals per day, yet I was steadily gaining 3-5 lbs per month!!! The medicine, in the right dose is sooooooo important. After dieting/changing my bad eating habits this year, I did have to have my meds re adjusted after only a couple months.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #4  
Molly Bloom

S/C/G: 305/278/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Hashimoto's

IN some cases, diagnosis of autoimmune thyroid disease may take testing thyroid antibodies, in addition to TSH, according to my doc. With Hashimoto's, the TSH can go up and down. Mine was borderline normal for a long time before the TSH was considered 'abnormal', and I was gaining weight like crazy. Because of that and my other autoimmune illnesses, my doc ordered the antibody test - and it was sky high.
MollyB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #5  
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Untreated hypothyroidism would make it more difficult to lose weight. But why would anyone with this problem refuse treatment?

Have you been diagnosed or is this something that you suspect might be going on? All it takes is a simple blood test (TSH) to find out whether this is an issue for you. Unfortunately, it can't be self-diagnosed with Internet questionaires.

Who said anything about refusing treatment? I never did. I cant afford it. I haven't the money to go to the doctor. Believe me if I did, I would go get it taken care of. And Yes, I have been diagnosed by A Doctor.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #6  
Meg

I'm confused ... you don't have money to go to a doctor? But you've already been diagnosed as hypothyroid by a doctor? Didn't the doctor who diagnosed you give you a prescription for thyroid replacement?

Regardless, the good news is that you've seen a doctor, been tested and diagnosed. Now that you know what you're dealing with, fixing the problem doesn't sound like it should be a big deal. Thyroid replacement hormone (usually Synthroid or Levoxyl) is pretty cheap, even if you don't have insurance coverage for drugs -- about $10/month, I believe.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #7  
Movin on down the scale

I can totally understand not being able to afford the dr, or even health insurance, but my thyroid is the ONE appt I MAKE NO MATTER WHAT. My meds are like $13/mo for synthroid. If your not taking meds because of the cost but you have a prescription, call the manufacturer if it is synthroid, they have a patient assistance program to get you free meds if you qualify.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #8  
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
I'm confused ... you don't have money to go to a doctor? But you've already been diagnosed as hypothyroid by a doctor? Didn't the doctor who diagnosed you give you a prescription for thyroid replacement?

Regardless, the good news is that you've seen a doctor, been tested and diagnosed. Now that you know what you're dealing with, fixing the problem doesn't sound like it should be a big deal. Thyroid replacement hormone (usually Synthroid or Levoxyl) is pretty cheap, even if you don't have insurance coverage for drugs -- about $10/month, I believe.

It isn't the pills, its all the blood tests and lab visits. I had insurance, but I lost it. In order to get my prescription again, Id have to make another appointment, have another blood test, go on pills, come back to get more blood tests... etc etc and I cant afford to Go to the Doctor....

as to the the patient assistance program... that would be fin, but I still couldn't afford to go to the Doctor.

Ive been trying to find help for awhile... but I cant. *sighs*
Old 01-10-2006, 02:49 AM   #9  

Default hypothyroidism

Lastly, I've been investing a lot of time searching for hypothyroidism info, as I am becoming hypothyroid and want to lead a healthy life despite my recent treatment of RA-I.

As far as I know, being hypothyroid will affect your metabolism if you go untreated. All the processes become slower and as a consequence, the body will not burn all the calories that are consumed. On the other side of the coin, there is also the fact that, being hypothyroid will decrease hunger (I am already experiencing this), because the body automatically tries to adjust to a lower caloric consumption.

Anyway, you should go to a doctor and have your levels checked before dieting. When TSH levels are high, it is unlikely that one will lose a lot of weight, even with a healthy diet.
Lilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #10  
banned

I was dignosed with hypothyroidism nearly six years ago after a routine blood test was taken by my doctor and I was prescribed Synthroid in a very low dose at the time. I am very fortunate that my insurance covers all of this, being he wants me retested every 90 days to make sure the medication is doing what it is supposed to be doing and the doses are correct for my condition. I am up to .50 mg presently and so far have stablized there.

I highly suggest if nothing else, that hypothyroidism be treated; not only can the weight issue be affected, it can lead to other problems as well. I found out recently that depression can also emerge from some forms of hypothyroidism, for example.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

Also, if hypo is left untreated your thyroid can turn into a goiter, I have it, and there is now *cheap* way to get rid of it. So I would talk to your clinic and see about a payment plan to cover the test for hypo, also most dr's are compassionate about billing/insurance (or lack there of) and can give you samples, and also test you every 60-90 days in the beginning instead of every 30-60 so that helps cut cost, that is what I had to do since I do not have health insurance either.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8

Thehopefulcry2-

I have to agree with GonnaLooseitagain. The risks of leaving this untreated are far greater than the hassle of trying to pay for medical care. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, after years of complaining to doctors that something was wrong and them telling me I'm basically just fat. FINALLY, I got someone to listen, and my new Endocrinologist is wonderful. I am now on Synthroid, and I feel like a new person. It is undescribable. I am losing weight now for the first time in 10 years after trying everything.

Anyway, I have worked in the medical field for many years doing billing. All the doctors offices I have ever worked in have all worked with our self pay patients in reducing the cost of visits as well as setting up payment plans. If your current doctor won't do that, find a new doctor. You need to first go in and talk to someone in the billing department and explain your situation- that you have no insurance, limited income and are in need of medical treatment. Yes, that may be hard to do, but your life long health is worth it. This past summer, my mother had her thyroid removed- for years it went untreated until she developed a goiter which turned into cancer. I'm not saying that will happen to you, but it's a risk. BTW, her medical bills were over $200,000 for 2005, luckily insurance covered most of it, and she has had a full recovery, which is the most important thing.

My point being, it is ultimately more expensive and more risky- including death to not get a medical condition treated. If you can't find a doctor to work with you on the bills, call the local health department- most counties have free clinics where they can monitor your thyroid levels. Also, some counties have discounted health insurance plans, similar to Medicaid, but for people/familes who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid. But don't give up until you find something that works. You are worth it. Do this for yourself- for your family- kids or grandkids. Don't let money stop you from being healthy. There are options.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #13  
Meg

Denise - thanks for such a helpful response! I really hope that the original poster tries your suggestions. You're so right -- this is too important to ignore.

And I have to tell you how much I LOVE the quote in your signature!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #14  
Running Wild

I thought I had replied in this thread a while back, but I guess I was mistaken.

Anyway, yes as they all said, hypo-T can cause ALL sorts of issues if not treated. Believe me I know. for one thing, in addition to gaining NO MATTER WHAT, i was tired ALL THE TIME but couldnt sleep more than a couple hours at a time, if i cut myself even a little, took a month to heal, would black out if i had 2 beers (unheard of), and so forth and so on. Even your reflexs are/can be affected.

at first i was on that generic form of synthroid, which for most that should not be your script. i learned that the hard way. most drugs are fine in generic form but once i went to an endocronologist, i was informed otherwise. and he was right. Because with the generic one NOTHING changed for me cept maybe no blackouts. and i quit gaining. but i still couldnt lose.

once i finally got in with the Endo, and he did all the PROPER tests and analyzation, i was put on SYNTHROID, a bit higher dose .112 mg and now 3 months later...everything in BACK TO NORMAL. i lost the weight i gained. i heal. i dont black out (even though i dont drink anymore), i dont get tired, and i sleep through the night now.

the one good thing that came out of this for me is the healthy lifestyle i got back into because of it. i had literally stopped and was just coasting on what had worked in the past.

my synthroid (even on insurance) costs me like $24 a month. the generic was $10, but not worth a penny!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #15  

The generic has worked fine for me, so it means that everyone is different. Synthroid has didn't help me, Levoxyl did.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote