Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #1  
resident lactivist

Default What *is* it with those little pink dumbbells?

This is a bit of a rant, but really I am more amused than anything...

What is it with pink 1-lb dumbbells? Why do I keep seeing photos advertising "toning" (because of course it is always toning) routines with itty-bitty dumbbells?

Why don't women pause to think a minute and realize that, unless they sit immobile in front of the TV all day, never lifting anything more than a potato chip, that lifting one pound "weights" is pointless?

If you've ever taken a gallon of milk off the shelf at the grocery store, you've lifted more than a pound. If you've ever picked up a baby, you've lifted more than a pound. Heck, my 1-quart Texas Tea Bucket insulated mug from Bill Miller's probably weighs more than a pound when it's full!

And yet...And yet, they're still sold. And bought, obviously, because no one would stock merchandise they couldn't move.

According to Weight Watchers Magazine, my almost-four-year-old is an advanced lifter! They consider using five pound weights to be advanced! (No, she doesn't actually pump iron, she just plays with them 'cause she's seen Mommy 'playing'.)

And yet, I must confess I do indeed have a pair of pink 1-lb dumbbells:

That is my oldest daughter, at 10 months of age. Yes, I got the idea from Stumptuous.com.

I'd hope that spreading photos like this around would embarass grown women into lifting something heavier...
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 AM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hahaaaaaaa that is hilarious. You are so right!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:19 AM   #3  

They are for exercise not bodybuilding some people use them jogging.
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:29 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plb@m
Each and every issue of Weight Watchers Magazine I have bought has a weightlifting routine in it and gives the guidelines that beginners should use 1lb weights and 'advanced' lifters should use 5lb weights. I forget what they call the middle level.

It's silly. Even the utmost beginner to lifting any sort of weight can lift something heavier than 1lb.

I have seen them used for "power" walking. Which, again, strikes me as silly, given how many women I've seen walking around carrying huge purses.

We tend to underestimate ourselves, I think. Just in day-to-day living we deal with things heavier than a pound or two. Most of the cats I've had have weighed more than that. Heaven knows the books I carried around in high school did.

I have to question how much you're exercising yourself with something of a lighter weight than you deal with just living.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:55 AM   #5  
Meg

I completely agree, GBMM. We ALL do indeed underestimate our capabilities.

I have a 76 year old client (all of 4' 11") who has osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, and a variety of other health issues. She's not looking to become a body builder , just to be a healthy, independent and fit senior citizen. The lightest DBs she uses are 5s and she uses 8s and 10s on some exercises. Wonder what WW would make of her?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by plb@m

Each and every issue of Weight Watchers Magazine I have bought has a weightlifting routine in it and gives the guidelines that beginners should use 1lb weights and 'advanced' lifters should use 5lb weights. I forget what they call the middle level.

It's silly. Even the utmost beginner to lifting any sort of weight can lift something heavier than 1lb.

I have seen them used for "power" walking. Which, again, strikes me as silly, given how many women I've seen walking around carrying huge purses.

We tend to underestimate ourselves, I think. Just in day-to-day living we deal with things heavier than a pound or two. Most of the cats I've had have weighed more than that. Heaven knows the books I carried around in high school did.

I have to question how much you're exercising yourself with something of a lighter weight than you deal with just living.

I didn't know Weight Watchers Magazine was a bodybuilder magazine have to check that out! I'm sure your right they don't know what they are talking about how could they.They are just silly.
You can question all you want I know how to start out weightlifting my brother has been a bodybuilder for 25 years.
I'm not saying 1lbers should be used for bodybuilding .I just think we shouldn't point fun at people that do use them.
And if you didn't know weightlifting and bodybuilding are not the same.
Sorry if I steped on any toes I'm sure your right about everything.

Last edited by plb@m; 01-22-2006 at 02:11 PM.
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #7  
one leg press at a time

I agree they ar silly to a degree. I cartainly do not think they are great to begin s weight set at home with, but I know in my own experience, there are certain moves that 3# and up kill me (rear delatiods comes to mind) and also when doing should er work with heavier weights, towrds the end of the set, I have to pyramid to a lower weight or use no weight (my trainer prefers me to use weight, be it 1# or 1/4 lb dumbbell plate.)
I also have seen clients usually older, that have severe damage in the wrist which makes even the 1 lb. extremely hard to hold, let alone a heavier weight for any lenght of time.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Speaking as someone who was verrry verrry sedentary .... I'm glad they made 2lb-ers. I'd have gotten nowhere if I'd had to start with ten's.

I think it's a subliminal note ... 'look at what you can do, look how easy it is' ... at least they get started doing something.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I just read something in a magazine sort of on this subject. If you read magazines like fitness rx or oxygen you see all these fitness models and bodybuilding women lifting less weight than I do on regular basis and I'm thinking "what the heck?" Well anyway they explained in the one that it's because these women are doing a 6 hour photoshoot doing the same exercise or pose over and over again. So I guess that explains that, but in real life who knows?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm glad you said that Stacy! I do read FRX and Oxygen, and have always wondered-m

how those women get so cut lifting such lite weights! I thought, wow, I'm going to look fierce once my cardio melts off my fat!

As for the pink one pounders, I bought them JUST so my 4 and 6 yo's could have something to lift when they workout with mommy. Seeing them hurl 3 and 5 pounders around made me so nervous for their toes.

I use my 3 and 5'ers on my weight machine which only goes up by 10 lb increments. So I pile the lighter dumbbells on to get some incremental increases to build up to the next 10 lb stack.

By the way, I am a newbie. Forgive me for just jumping in, but I just found this site and think I'm in LOVE!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #11  
resident lactivist

Quote:
As for the pink one pounders, I bought them JUST so my 4 and 6 yo's could have something to lift when they workout with mommy. Seeing them hurl 3 and 5 pounders around made me so nervous for their toes.
Yeah, the baby in that picture is now almost four and has appropriated my 3 & 5 lb'ers. I've given her younger sister the smallest ones. I'd hand them over to my littlest just to snap a picture, but she'd undoubtedly try to eat them.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #12  
one leg press at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
I'd hand them over to my littlest just to snap a picture, but she'd undoubtedly try to eat them.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #13  

There are a lot of women lifting very lite and high rep so they don't "bulk up". It's the old myth rearing it's ugly head. 1 lb is pretty silly and doesn't do a lot. Women do tend to underestimate themselves. And some just plain underachieve because it's easier. I actually did "bulk up" in my bicep area at one point, and so I do go lighter this time. But I bulked up by curling 30lb dumbbells. I do max 20 lb now and very high rep because my neck and biceps do tend to get a little manly looking. ;-) But five lbs are the lightest I own and I don't actually use them for anything. They came with the set.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

I don't know, though, if technique is right, even very light weights can be effective at times. I like the little pink dumbells, although I only have one pair. I use them to strengthen my wrists with little curls ...
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #15  
Marathon Goddess

Well I know in my case for iron yoga you are only supposed to use a 1, 2, or 3lb weights, because of the length of time you hold each postion, and I know I can only handle the 1's for that routine, I lift regularly, and I am a marathon runner, I think its fair to say I am rather fit, I also know my hubby who lifts heavy weights regularly and is also a marathon runner, can only handle the 2's during that routine, and he does it at least 3 times a week, so I would say that many people have a need, and are by no means underestimating their own potential. I also dont think that anything that gets someone up off their couch is silly, and I would never laugh at anyone, who is willing to try.
happytx is offline   Reply With Quote