Old 01-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #1  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Default Getting pg while in middle of lifestyle change?

Just curious how many of you have, will be or may be getting pregnant before you achieve your long term weight goal - which involved lots of weight loss? If you have, how did it go getting back on track after the baby? I know "life" has to go on and for DH & I that possibly means working on #3 before I'm at my goal weight. I WILL not get pregnant while obese again, but maybe would think about it at 190-200. I'll be 35 this year, I do not have all the time in the world to wait. I lost 112 pounds very rapidly once before, only to gain it back over the past 7 years; so I'm planning on doing it right this time, no matter how long it takes. I had DD#1 in 11/03 and then 17 months later had DD#1 last April. Luckily I had healthy pregnancies, but I had post-partum depression after my last pregnancy and actually gained 30 pounds in the 4 months following her birth. Also, my last pregnancy was more difficult because I could really feel my weight. I have not gained much weight pregnant (14 and 18 pounds) but I do sorta worry about that changing once I'm not so big... Anyways, now I'm babbling. Just curious, if anyone has gone though this and what the outcome was.

Last edited by Nori71; 01-13-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #2  

I was down about 50 pounds when I found out about my surprise I did well throughout my pregnancy eating healthier choices and only gained about 20 pounds during pregnancy and was back down to 286 after I gave birth. I have gained a lot the past six months because I am a stress-eater and being a single mother was challenging. Right now I'm working on getting my life back on track and putting myself on my priority list.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I had just started getting control of my weight and a healthier lifestyle when I got pregnant with #2.I started the pregnancy at 235 lbs.and gained about 30 lbs(my first I weighed 150 and gained 50 lbs.,but everything went smoothly with him).

I had problems from the beginning,but it had nothing to do with my weight,but the bedrest sure didn't help in keeping my weight gain to a minimum.

After having him I was back at 235 by my 6 week check up and back in my jeans.I breastfed and by 10 months when he started eating regular foods,my weight began to creep back up.By the time he was 2 I was up to 265,the highest I'd ever been.

It's taken 2 years on and off to lose 40 lbs.,and I am back to working out and trying to get down to a healthier weight.I too will be 35 this year,and while we don't really have plans for a third(we didn't really plan #1 or #2,lol),I'd like to be at a lower weight,just in case.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #4  
maintainer wannabe

i did it the other way around. i decided to make a life change while pg. i had a bit of a head start as i lost 18 lbs from morning sickness but i was in very very bad shape. i started exercising and had my best pg since my first!

one of the reason i wanted to get in shape is that i figured i'd want yet another one. i couldn't continue the way i was. if/when i get pg i will just continue with my plan increasing my cals to gain or maintain depending on my size. this for me is for life. i used the oh well i'm pg excuse way too many times. like last time i'll just stay on plan so i won't need to find my way back.

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I lost 70 pounds through healthy eating and exercise after my first was born. I got pregnant again and the baby died at 10 weeks gestation. 10 days later I miscarried. By then I had gained 10 pounds, which stayed on until I rather quickly got pregnant again. After my son was born, I was carrying an extra 15 pounds on top of the 10 from before. Then I quickly got pregnant with my daughter (they are 19 months apart) and held onto 20 pounds after she was born. The weight stayed on, and then I got divorced and gained another 25 pounds. Which puts me, several years later, right back where I started before I lost the 70 pounds in the first place.

That's just how it worked for me. I have a hard time losing weight while nursing (except the first time) and during times of emotional upheaval.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I got pregnant while on this board too. The key for me was to remain posting her. Even though I was losing weight I still had a weight gain goal. I didn't lose control. AND I didn't beat myself up for gaining weight to have a healthy baby.

Visit the http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173 pregnancy/nusrsing forum for even more support

One piece of advice... nursing.. the BEST diet ever! Just beware when you stop you to adjust your eating. (that was my big mistake!)

All the best to you!!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #7  
a new year... a new me

i got pregnant with my 2nd about 8 months after joining here. i gained 24 lbs with her and lost 40 after having her (ppd) but gained nearly twice that much back because i gave up.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #8  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am on BCP's for now, so it's not a high probability. If it happened I would be shocked, but could learn to be happy, but I really want to focus of losing weight right now. Sounds bad, I know. This is just something that lurks in the back of my mind quite a bit...I guess because my clock is ticking and I want at least 1 more and at the same time I know how much weight I need to lose and roughly how long that will take. It really sounds like "pregnancies" alone are not the "problem" - it can be the post-partum time that can brings the trouble. (When DD#2 had severe colic and Failure to Thrive I went into a pretty dark funk and gained 30 pounds.) I know when I'm pregnant it's quite easy to eat healthy and exercise, because I know that's best for the baby and for my health in the pregnancy.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I was down 20 and had 20 to go when I got preggo with my 3rd. I gained weight, then gained more weight after I had the baby (first time I ever did this AFTER a baby) after I started taking antidepressants. My baby is 2 1/2 and I just started trying to lose weight again. Oddly if I look at my history, I always try to lose weight about the baby's 2nd year. I think they are so much a handful in the beginning that after 2 years I'm starting to get into the swing of things. Well this time I was also still trying to finish college and started back to work. Plus my baby was HIGH maintence and I found out I'm bipolar. Now we are trying to sell a house and have moved across country for a job. OMG, my life has been busy.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I've gotten PG all 4 times while on here.
I was 292, the first time.
317 the 2nd
262 the 3rd
and I'm 277 this time around.
The last 2, I had started hitting the getting healthy kick pretty hard and was working toward just that. I miscarried #3 in Aug. last year and I fell off big time, gaining 25 pounds. At the beginning of this year I had just started to get back to being healthy and just found out I'm PG again.
I'm doing what Catherine did this time around though and I'm not going to give up my healthy eating and let the PG be an excuse to go all out. I've still be exercising and am logging all my food.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote