Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Movin' & Losin' #18

Our new house.

If you want to check back on the old thread, click here.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=58843&page=37

Back later with the days doings
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #2  
Give peace a chance.

Thanks, Shad!! This is great. I feel very inspired.
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good Job Shad! I am still having a problem with them notifying me of posts. I think I did ask that I be added to this site but maybe I have to do something different.

I am still exercising but I am still having a problem with bloating after my dinner meal. Perhaps I just shouldn't eat after lunchtime.

It is almost time for my annual checkup and I will address this with my PCP. I opted not to get involved in the study for stomach problems because the possible side effects turned me off.

My blood pressure has come down and now if I can only get rid of this stomach problem.

Talk to you all soon again!
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Nita - Sometimes I have a few problems with notification as well. However try these couple of tricks and see if it works. Click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the Quick reply.

Scroll down a little and at the bottom of the screen there is an area called Thread subscription. Ensure that this says 'Instant e-mail Notification'. If it doesn't, click the arrow and select the instant notification.

The other place is in your profile. You need to click on the User CP tab and check out the boxes in there. I'll have to go to it to find which ones. I'll be back....

Okay, it is under User Options on the left side of the page. Then at the bottom of the Thread subscriptions area you will see another of those little boxes which should say Instand e-mail notification. If it doesn't, then you need to change it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Shad; 01-13-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #5  
Mooz

Hi chickies
Shad ........ thanks for the lovely new home ......... just what I need a new start! I agree with Cat ....... your story about the sander was very funny .......it's the way you tell em!

Went back to WW on Tuesday ........ the first time since the Christmas break. I should really have been back the previous Tues but that was the evening my mum was not so good. Anyway I was down half a pound. It's not much I know but I was so pleased that I was down something. Some people had put on as much as 8 pounds over the Christmas period. Now all I have to do is keep on going!
My mother is much tha same although I have cut out her sleeping pills as they were making her very sleepy the next day. She first got them because she was getting up in the middle of the night thinking that it was daytime. Now she is not able to get up so there is no worry of her falling and hurting herself. She seems to sleep peacefully without them anyway now.
Gotta go get my breakfast before the carers arrive. HAve a lovely Sat all!
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #6  
Mooz

I am sure you have heard me mention PAul McKenna and his book "I can make you thin". He has jsut started a programme on Skyone every Mon evening. I missed the first one and sat down to watch the repeat and slept through most of it!! Anyway there is a website where you can join in and get daily tips by e-mail and the site has very interesting bits of advice including video advice which is excellent. It is not a diet ....... it just all makes sense.
The address is http://www.skyone.co.uk/mckenna/default.asp

Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #7  

Default RE: Other people

HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #8  

Default RE: That would be ME....!!!

Hey Movers and Losers!

OK, I am keeping the faith but it is a challenge. I joined WW a week ago Tuesday. I paid the weekly fees up until mid April to totally commit, because I know my losses are difficult to come by. I followed the points plan 100%. I did miss just a few servings of fruits and veggies and possibly a serving of water here or there. I stayed within my daily points range each day, acutally remaining 3 or 4 points under most days. I did not use the 35 bonus points for the week. My results = 4 pounds! I GAINED 4 pounds. My leader says this is because I did not eat all of the points. I have a really hard time believing this, but this week, I am eating all of my points - trust me here. I am eating all the fruits and veggies, and drinking the water. I just cannot believe the first week, when most folks see a larger weight loss my body would have the nerver to gain!

As I said... I am keeping the faith! Quote George Michael, "Gotta have faith,faith, faith - Baby!" LOL

Mooz: Thanks for the website. I am now registered for the weekly emails. I tried to view the video, but it is for you guys over the pond only! LOL. Thanks again. God Bless you, and you family... I am so happy your Mother has you during this most difficult time in her life. Hang in there, all good thoughts are coming your way.

Shad: I went along with you on your story of the sander. Too funny, too frustrating, too the way it is!

It is cold and blistery here today, yesterday it was 60 degrees and sunny, today our high temps are low 30s and snow. I'd like a good snow, with some accumulations.

Have a GREAT day girls - more later!
Old 01-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #9  

Hello Ladies,

I think i was absent for a few days. Had to travel out of town for work, then took a vacation day on friday. Trying to get all my Christmas put up.

Will be back later.

Shad thanks for our new home. New Year, New Beginning.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good Evening Ladies,

HalGal -- Sorry to hear about your weight gain at WW. It is true, you do need to eat all your points in order to have a good weight loss. I think the main reason for this is that when you do get to your goal in order to stay there you will have to take away some of the points.

I am still exercising but I am still having problems at night with my stomach. It is almost time for my yearly physical so I definitely will address this with my doctor. I did not join WW this time around but I may do so after this 10-week session is over.

Mooz -- I can appreciate what you are going through with your Mom. So far I am pretty lucky--I can leave Gene alone for an entire day so long as I make his breakfast and lunch before I go. He also takes a shower every other day by himself. The end of the month when he goes to have the tube changed out I am going to press the urologist for some ideas on how he can regain the use of his bladder, whether it be through exercise or medication. It seems because he is 78 they really don't want to bother with it.

I talked with one of the personal trainers the other day and he did agree writing down what you eat is very important. He also said it all works together--exercise and what we eat. He also mentioned not to pay any attention to the commercials regarding weightloss by countless people because most of it is false. You just need to burn up whatever you put into your mouth and that is the bottom line. Sounds easier said than done!

Well I am going to bowl in another tournament tomorrow but I am not as excited about doing it as I usually am. Perhaps when I get up tomorrow I will have a better outlook!

Take care all and have a wonderful Sunday!

Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #11  
Give peace a chance.

Mooz--thanks for the link. Looks good.

Hal--aorry about the gain. Darn! But it's all a learning experience.

Have been busy with DH sick with nasty cold (though getting much better) and caring for DMiL.

Love to all . . .
Old 01-15-2006, 04:58 AM   #12  
Mooz

Mornin chickies ,,,,,, just a quick call ......... a wet and windy day here this morning.
Were any of you able to get the little video clips of Paul McKenna to work or did you all have the same problem as Halgal? Try this link to see if it works http://skyscape.sky.com/do/microHome...06015095103477
Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #13  

Default Re: Op

Hey Girls,

Mooz: Technology is incredible. They still can tell we are tuning in from across the pond. LOL You will have to tell us about it, what you think is good anyway.

I had an email from a college bud that lost 100 a year ago on WW. She said read the list of 0 point foods, and get real friendly with them - use them in times of need and to eat all the points. I can do that.

OneDay; I'm still working on holiday decorations too. Where does the time go?

Cat: I'm still reading Lolita in Tehran. It is getting slow for me, I think I can speed up my reading rate for this one.

Nita: You go girl, love to hear how you are doing. I'll be bowling sometime in the future and you get the credit. I love hearing how you are doing. Hang in there with the stomach ills. Remember, ginger is a natural stomach calmer. Try some ginger ale, they make a diet version now that is good. Our supermarkets don't always have it tho, keep looking.

The sun is out today. I'm going out to just get some walking and enjoyment in - here, there and where ever. I haven't had one of those days in too many moons.

Happy Sunday Movers and Losers!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #14  
Mooz

Found this review of Paul McKenna's book which is just the same advice he gives in the television programme ......

We review the book/cd that (at the time of press) is getting 4.5/5 stars on Amazon (and it's 100% suitable for vegetarians!)

We have to admit being fairly sceptical about a weightloss book and CD that claim to make you 'thin'. Isn't that a big of a grand claim? Can Paul McKenna really keep his promise? We gave the book and CD to one of our reviewers to see if it lives up to the hype.

I had to admit I groaned when I was given Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Thin' book and CD to review. I've tried hypnosis before - 'Give Up Smoking in 1 Hour' - and it didn't work (in the end I used good old willpower and nicotine gum!). Could hypnosis work for weightloss? I figured I had nothing to lose (apart from weight) so I gave it a go.

It's suggested that you read the book first, so that's what I did (I'll review the CD afterwards). On Amazon some of the reviewers say that the book is 'thin' so I was expecting some kind of scrawny leaflet. I was disappointed - this is a definitely a 'book-sized' book but it's well spaced and written in an easy conversation style. I'm a pretty speedy reader and I read it cover to cover in 2 hours. But what does it say? How does this solution to obesity and over-eating differ from all the (many, many) others?

These are the chapters:

Chapter One: Are You Ready for Something Truly Different

Chapter Two: The Simples Weight-Loss System in the World(TM)

Chapter Three: Programme Your Mind to Slim Your Body

Chapter Four: Overcoming Emotional Eating

Chapter Five: The Truth About Exercise

Chapter Six: Craving Busters

Chapter Seven: Frequently Asked Questions About the Simplest Weight-Loss System in the World(TM)

Let's go through the chapters one by one...

Chapter One: Are You Ready for Something Truly Different?

This chapter invites you too look at the secrets of naturally thin people and explores the three main patterns that stop people from losing weight: obsessive dieting, emotional eating and faulty programming.

Paul says that "You have simply developed some unproductive habits. The good news is that once you learn to re-programme your mind, it will be just as simple to new develop habits of thinking and acting that will guarantee your success. You don't even have to believe that it will work. Just follow my instructions and you will not only lose weight but stop obsessing about food forever."

He then asks you to imagine that you're at the end of your life, and how you will feel in your body if you haven't lost weight. He then asks you to imagine how you would feel if you have reached your ideal weight. There are a lot of visualisation exercises in this book. It really is tempting to skip these (and I have to admit that I did skip a few) but if you've got the time, I think it's a good idea because it puts you in the right frame of mind for the CD that you'll play when you've finished the book. The chapter ends with a testimonial from a woman who lost 4 1/2 stone by following Paul McKenna's method.

Chapter Two: The Simples Weight-Loss System in the World(TM)

Throughout the book there are 4 main principles to Paul McKenna's Weightloss System. This chapter introduces you to them. The first is: When you are hungry, EAT. Sounds simple enough, right? Paul explains how starving the body makes you fat and that the secret of thin people's success in maintaining their weight is that they only eat when they're genuinely hungry. Are you shaking your head yet, thinking 'but that's just obvious?' Me too! But don't stop reading yet.

The second principle is: EAT WHAT YOU WANT, Not What You Think You Should. That threw me! What about all the healthy food we're supposed to eat and all the 'bad fats' and 'refined sugars' that we all know are so bad for us? Paul says that as soon as you deprive yourself of something you upset the natural balance of your relationship to them. Making any food 'forbidden' makes them more attractive to you.

Principle number three: Eat CONSCIOUSLY and enjoy every mouthful. This is about savouring your food and not wolfing it down. You know how you can open a bar of chocolate and the next thing you know it's gone? You can barely even remember eating? That's what Paul wants us to stop. Eat slowly, eat without distraction (TV, newspaper, magazine etc). Really TASTE your food. This helps your body to break down the food (saliva) and increases your feeling of satiety (you feel fuller and more satisfied). Honestly, this tip is the one that had the biggest impact on me (particularly after listening to the CD. See 'This Viewers Verdict' at the end of this page).

Principle four: When You Think You Are Full, STOP Eating. Another 'obvious' tip, right? Not really. We're so programmed to clear our plates and only respond to the bloated 'full' feeling that we actually carry on eating way after we're actually full. Paul explains how to measure your hunger on the hunger scale, to avoid waiting until you're ravenous to eat and how to feel whether you're full or not and how to resign from the 'clean plate club'. This is the second principle that really hit home with me. Why not clear my plate? Clearing my plate would help me stop feeling hungry later, right? No. Paul says - leave something on your plate (even if it's just a couple of chips) so you get into the habit of not clearing your plate. If you're full, stop eating. If you're hungry later - eat later. It really does make sense.

The chapter ends with a testimonial from a woman who lost 18 stone by following Paul McKenna's system!

Chapter Three: Programme Your Mind to Slim Your Body

Paul McKenna starts this chapter by explaining how willpower enough won't help you lose weight - you need to use the power of your imagination. He explains how to focus on what you want, on self-image and self-fulfilling prophecy and gives you visualisation exercises to 'see yourself slim'. The chapter ends with the testimonia of a woman who lost 3 1/2 stone following Paul McKenna's system.

Chapter Four: Overcoming Emotional Eating

This chapter explains how to distinguish between actual hunger and emotional hunger. Paul goes into some detail about the causes of emotional hunger and there are three different visualisation exercises that will help you to overcome self-loathing and stop you being your own harshest critic.

Chapter Five: The Truth About Exercise

Paul explains the 'myth of metabolism', describes how exercise can increase your basal metabolic rate (just walking more every day helps, you don't have to be a gym bunny) and includes two exercises to help you increase your motivation to exercise. The chapter ends with the testimonial of a woman who lost 2 1/2 stone by following his system.

Chapter Six: Craving Busters

This chapter starts with the statement Any craving you may have felt is a learned behaviour. He says "That means you weren't born with it, you learned it and if you learned it you can unlearn it, often in a matter of minutes."

He then describes two techniques that you can use to 'bust' your cravings. The first technique involves thinking about the food you are craving and then tapping certain acupuncture points on your body (I didn't try this as I wasn't suffering a craving at the time of reading). The second technique involves thinking about a food you hate (or, he suggests, a plate of human hair if you love all food!), imagining eating it, and then squeezing your thumb and finger together (there's more to it than that but it would take me forever to write it all down). Before the exercise he actually says "Remember, only do the next technique if you genuinely want to stop eating a particular food for good." - apparently the technique is so powerful he stopped a chocolate addict from ever wanting chocolate again, in less than 2 minutes. Unfortunately I can't testify to how powerful this technique is - as I didn't try it. Let us know if you did and it worked for you!

Chapter Seven: Frequently Asked Questions About the Simplest Weight-Loss System in the World(TM)

This chapter is as it sounds - full of frequently asked questions.

The Hypnosis CD

If you're like me, this is the element of Paul McKenna's 'system' that you're most interested in! What happens? Is it scary? Will it work? Will I wake up?

As I said earlier, I'd used a hypnosis CD before to try and stop smoking. It took me ages to get round to doing it - partly because I was scared of what was happen and concerned that when I woke up (if I woke up!) I'd feel different and never really be 'myself' again. First things first - DON'T WORRY! You're 'conscious' all the way through a hypnosis CD. You can still hear all the noises around you (although you focus on the voice of the hypnotist) and, if an emergency or anything else required you to suddenly act or get up, you can. It's just like being very relaxed, like day dreaming before you fall asleep at night. There's no 'sleep' - you're awake all the way through and you'll definitely wake up at the end! You won't feel different or 'not you' - you'll just feel relaxed and (in the case of this CD) quite happy and alert.

Anyway, that's enough about hypnosis in general - what about this one? Well...it's hard to describe because, when I played the CD I wanted to really try it (and not try to fight the hypnosis so I could do my review) so I can't recall everything. What I can remember is the way that one Paul McKenna voice comes out of one speaker (I played the CD in a little portable player by my bed) and another Paul McKenna voice comes out of the other. At some points during the session the voices overlap and you're not sure which to listen to - I don't think it matters - it just heightens the experience. Paul's voice is a bit whispery and, occasionally 'spooky' sounding but when you've stopped yourself from giggling and just relaxed you start to count down (as instructed by Paul) as he talks to you.

What follows I'm not entirely sure (I did the CD a couple of weeks ago and I've got a terrible memory) but it's Paul giving you positive affirmations about weightloss and what to do and not do (reaffirming what's in the book) and then he talks you back into the real world (5-4-3-2-1) etc and you wake up feeling genuinely alert and refreshed.

This Reviewer's Verdict

I really wasn't sure that the CD had worked...and had forgotten about it..until later that evening when I cooked my dinner. I sat down in front of the TV and started to eat when suddenly something in my brain went 'Woah! Slow down. Eat slowly'.. and I did. I took my time over every mouthful and really tasted what I was eating (as opposed to wolfing it down). I paid attention to my fullness levels and, for the first time in years, left some food on my plate! An hour or so later I thought I'd have some Green and Blacks chocolate. I snapped off about 8 pieces of a 100g bar and ate them, slowly, tasting the flavour. And it was enough. I didn't NEED any more (I really couldn't believe I didn't finish off the entire bar - as normal!). That was two weeks ago and I'm now 4 pounds lighter. I haven't counted calories, watched fat grams or avoided 'bad food' - I've just followed the four principles and it really has changed the way I think about food. I only listened to the CD once (and I think I should probably listen to it again to re-inforce the message) and know that some people chose to listen to it every day, and the pounds have just come off - without me doing anything. As I said at the beginning of this review I really WAS sceptical about this book/CD combination. I tried hypnosis before (for smoking) and it didn't work. This, it seems, has.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #15  
Give peace a chance.

The McKenna program sounds a lot like the Eating Awareness Training with the addition of hypnosis. Maybe there are alot of ideas going around that make sense.

Next weekend I'm doing a storytelling retreat, and I'm a little nervous because I haven't gotten all the information yet. Think I will call.

Manwhile all the vitamin C and herbs and I haven't (touch wood) gotten the bad cold DH and DS did. Hope it stays that way!