Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default New to free weight lifting.

Last time I was in the gym I mainly used the machines. Can anyone give me a rundown of what I should do to start and if there is an instructional web site I can go to if I don't know what a particular exercise is. I am 100+ overweight and this is going to be intimidating and challenging facing the mirrors and the big boys at the gym. I'm excited to get started though. When I was doing the machines I just would do one or two sets of each one. Do I do more reps or higher weight? I know that a lot of this is probably covered in all of the threads I just haven't had time to read them all. Thanks.

Training to failure? I think I know what this means....

Last edited by jagmom3; 01-12-2006 at 02:24 PM.
jagmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #2  

Here is an oft recommended site: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmom3
Last time I was in the gym I mainly used the machines. Can anyone give me a rundown of what I should do to start and if there is an instructional web site I can go to if I don't know what a particular exercise is. I am 100+ overweight and this is going to be intimidating and challenging facing the mirrors and the big boys at the gym. I'm excited to get started though. When I was doing the machines I just would do one or two sets of each one. Do I do more reps or higher weight? I know that a lot of this is probably covered in all of the threads I just haven't had time to read them all. Thanks.

Training to failure? I think I know what this means....
I would do a simple 3 sets of 10-12 reps scheme, 2-3xweek, on a few basic exercises to get started with. Benchpress, squat, and rows would be a good start and hit most major muscles. You can always add to the routine as you progress.

See if you can lift with a training partner; a spotter you can trust is a valuable asset in the free weight room.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #3  
Meg

Fortunately, you don't have to search through all the old threads for info -- most of the information you need has been gathered into 'stickies' at the top of the forum. Check 'em out!

Fitsite and ExRx.net are web sites that have videos of many exercises and a ton of ideas about what to for each body part.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #4  

ExRx is good for instuction and muscles your using....Depends on what you are looking for and how you want to break up your workout...2-3 sets on free weight is good..doing 12 reps.....you want to hit..biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest quads/hamstrings and calves....you can incorporate both machines and freeweights...
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote