Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #1  

Default My Family Doesn't Seem to Understand!! (Family Meals)

I'm staying with my parents for a few months while my husband and I debate if we're selling our house or not. And I love being home, especially after a few family emergancies in the last year.

But my dad cooks our meals, and he cooks enough for me to join them. But lately his meals have been real high in calories, and to make it worse, they're things that I just love!! (Tonight is hotdogs, french fries and baked beans!)

I'm usually pretty good, I only eat one serving worth, and then put some veggies on the side! Or substitute, like carrots for the french fries!

I've tried mentioning that I'd rather have healthier choices! Aside from my dad (who recently lost 100 pounds) my entire family is over weight, especially my 16 year old sister, so they could all use the change as well!

How do I keep myself sane and on the right track with all of this?? (I can't afford to go and purchase my own seperate meals!)
Less_of_Me_to_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #2  

I would aim for portion control. Eat what your family is eating at dinner only alot less!
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #3  

Thanks Robert

I did just that! I had half of what they were having, as well as substituted the greesy french fries with carrots!! And even had a cookie for dessert and hit 600 calories for dinner (Putting me at 900 total for the day so far!)
Less_of_Me_to_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

I would do exactly what you did. Just eat in proper portion sizes and make sure to get in your veggies! You are setting a good example for your sister by eating properly. Keep up the good work!
getncontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You may have to take this bit of 'life getting in the way' in stride. Watch your portions, try to get some exercise in and just know that it's temporary. There's no sense getting worked up or upsetting your family. You can coast for a while and get back at it with a vengence a little later. It'll all work out in the end.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
You may have to take this bit of 'life getting in the way' in stride. Watch your portions, try to get some exercise in and just know that it's temporary. There's no sense getting worked up or upsetting your family. You can coast for a while and get back at it with a vengence a little later. It'll all work out in the end.
I agree with Susan. These are just things that happen in life. I'm sure it's not the first and it probably won't be the last, so the best thing to do is just try and get through it the best you can, remind yourself that it WILL happen again, it's just part of life, and move on
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote