Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #1  

Unhappy A Little tired of dieting!

Hi everyone. Usually I post my "imaginary" problems that I face with dieting, since really I have no problems refraining myself from unhealthy food. At 23, I finally succeeded at losing weight after 9 years of trying. I guess it is because I really want it, and I do not want to live my 20's just like I lived through my teens: A morbidly overweight boy. This has motivated me to keep on doing what I'm doing. However, I have found that my weight loss journey has been very draining mentally. After a 95 pound steady weight loss, I try to find excuses to stop and maybe go back to my old eating habits. I feel that right now I'm conciously talking myself out. My tiny brain has now come up with a new way to stop me in my tracks. Okay, I can control what I think of course, but I guess I need some support for reassurance that I may be going through something normal.

I never weigh myself more than once a month. Seeing that the scale decreases 8 little notches in one month is very encouraging. But lately, for the fact that now that the holidays have passed and everything has calmed down, I have more time on my hands to think things. I weighed myself on January 1st, only to go back to reweighing myself on the 3rd. Seeing that there was no results in 3 days spawned this idea that I may be nearing a plateau. I should know better that I have never seen results in 3 days. Nevertheless, lately I have focused on this fear of my body no longer wanting to lose. I have stuck to the same eating plan ( a good breakfast, slim fast for lunch, fruits as snacks, and a bowl of special K for dinner) and exercise routine (lots of cardio, not so much use of weights) for months, seeing results everytime. Now I fear that this same reason allows for my body to have become accustomed to that regime and no longer wants to lose. I also fear changing the way I have done things. My eating plan has been very easy to follow and I doubt I can stick to another. The same thing I have not faced the plateau and will not be sure I have hit one until my weigh-in on the first of the month. Meanwhile, I feel that I may be slipping a little and I don't want this to happen and blow up again to 250 lbs.

I guess also it may be the fact that I have been going out and experiencing things I had not been through when I was obese. It all seems surreal. Losing so much weight is surreal; I never thought I was going to actually achieve something so difficult.

All in all, should I stick to my plan despite of assumming I will no longer see results? I know that as long as I cut back on my calories I will see results, but sometimes I think that will no longer work. I suppose I'm just being too harsh on myself for the fact that I have been telling myself that I must weigh this much by such and such date. Sorry folks, it's just an unfounded fear.

Last edited by Psychego; 01-11-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Psychego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5"4

I'm a believer that you have to change things around a little, both to prevent your body from becoming 'used to' the same things, and also to provide a little variety for yourself. It doesn't sound like you are getting enough calories to me.

Also, hide that darned scale! I know it's hard, I'm becoming a scale addict too, but try to only weigh yourself once a week max. Then you will see more progress than you would doing it daily.

I think you are just having some very normal fears. Wait a couple of weeks and I'll bet ya you will see the pounds coming down.
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychego
I guess also it may be the fact that I have been going out and experiencing things I had not been through when I was obese. It all seems surreal. Losing so much weight is surreal; I never thought I was going to actually achieve something so difficult.
I feel the same way. I sometimes still can't believe it and have to do a double-take if I happen to catch my reflection. Because I was pretty much set on just accepting myself as fat and learning to live with it. I floated around in clothes 3 sizes too big to cover myself and I hated going in public. Now I slip into a pair of my jeans and I'm out the door. And I'll see my reflection and think, "My gosh, is that really ME? Did I really finally do it?"

And then it dawns on me yes, that's really you. And you really did it. And then a huge smile comes across my face. But it doesn't last long. I'm happy I lost all this weight, but now I think I look old.

Typical female. Never happy. Or I should say typical of ME because I've never truly been happy with myself.

Last edited by LLV; 01-11-2006 at 05:25 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #4  
Mel

Quote:
I have stuck to the same eating plan ( a good breakfast, slim fast for lunch, fruits as snacks, and a bowl of special K for dinner) and exercise routine (lots of cardio, not so much use of weights) for months
How close to your goal weight are you? How close to your goal body? They really aren't the same thing at all. Whether you are male or female, young or old, my advice would be the same. Time for a change! Ditch the Slim Fast and Special K. Eat some lean protein, some complex carbs such as beans, brown rice, sweet potato, 100% whole wheat bread or tortilla, loads of green vegetables. Keep doing some cardio, but start doing some weight training! . Especially for guys, muscle is the greatest fat burning gift that you can give yourself! No need to be a body builder, but cardio alone will not build a great body. The other advantage of putting on some muscle is that you can EAT more without gaining weight. When you start, you may plateau on the scale, but the mirror and your clothes will tell a different story. To build muscle, you really do need to eat more and especially some protein.

Congratulations on your journey and the new you

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote