Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #1  

Default Supreme Pilates

Has anyone used or seen the Supreme Pilates machine that Gunthy Renker has out?

It's portable, so I'm leary about the flimsyness of it so to speak.

It would really be ideal right now, while we are remodeling the basement into a workout area, if it solid and I can fold it up and put it away, I'd be willing to spend the money, the basement isn't going to be finished for a while (6 months), and it would give me something to vary my routine with.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #2  
it's always something

Someone else mentioned that the other day, and she also wanted some testimonials before buying. I've not been able to find a website for it. Do you recall if the infomercial mentioned a website? I have a regular pilates machine and love it, but I'm curious to see what everyone is talking about
Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #3  

I happen to have it in my favorites, incase I decide I do want to buy.

http://www.supremepilates.com/

It's almost $300, probably a little over with shipping, I haven't gotten that detailed in it yet, I caught the tail end of the infomercial. The portability is what I'm really interested in, but if it portible and not solid, then it's a waste of money.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I have a regular pilates machine and love it, but I'm curious to see what everyone is talking about
Once we have our basement done, I want a regular pilates machine. A friend from work has one, and took me over to her house at lunch, I'm in love.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaS
I happen to have it in my favorites, incase I decide I do want to buy.

http://www.supremepilates.com/

It's almost $300, probably a little over with shipping, I haven't gotten that detailed in it yet, I caught the tail end of the infomercial. The portability is what I'm really interested in, but if it portible and not solid, then it's a waste of money.
$300 is EXTREMELY cheap for a reformer...and looking at the picture, I can see why. I dunno, it just looks rinkydink to me...too short for one; how are you supposed to lie down on it? How much weight is it supposed to support? The website doesn't give any info on that.

I searched "Pilates Reformer" on Amazon and came up with a few choices, including this Stamina Pilates Performer at $279.00:

or for a few dollars more (currently $299) there's this "premier" reformer that looks a LOT more sturdy than the Supreme Pilates setup, at the same price:

If you *do* plan on buying the Supreme Pilates machine, I would advise trying to find somewhere that sells it where you can view it *in person* and try it out before you buy - yup I KNOW they say "30 day money back guarantee* and yada yada but you still have to pay the shipping back to them...which can add up to a pretty penny!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #6  
it's always something

It seems awfully expensive for what it is. They offer a 30 day refund policy, but you have to pay shipping. It's $39.95 shipping to you, and goodness knows how much to send it back, so you could still be out a big chunk if you aren't happy with it.

I can't imagine that it would be a better option than, say, getting the Winsor Pilates DVD set that doesn't require any equipment.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #7  
it's always something

Overstock.com offers a pilates performer for $150, like the first one you linked, MrsJim, and it also has a stand. http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=886863

Stamina also sells refurbished models on their site, for $119 (with low shipping)
http://www.staminaproducts.com/produ...55-4290&SPEC=Y
Plus they offer the fancier one you linked for $199.
http://www.staminaproducts.com/produ...5-5510A&SPEC=Y

This is the one I have http://www.staminaproducts.com/produ...ProdID=55-4650
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
It seems awfully expensive for what it is. They offer a 30 day refund policy, but you have to pay shipping. It's $39.95 shipping to you, and goodness knows how much to send it back, so you could still be out a big chunk if you aren't happy with it.
The company probably gets a commercial rate, which unless you are fortunate enough to have your own business or get some sort of employee discount, is likely to be considerably less than what us 'regular folk' would pay...not to mention shipping insurance etc.

Dang Suzanne - I forgot about Overstock!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #9  

But how much space do the others take up? I'm working with space constraints until we get the remodel done, which is taking longer than planned because of unexpected things that keep popping up.

I really in my head new it was too good to be true, and it must just be out, because they aren't even selling them on ebay yet. I thought Gunthy-Renker was known for their quality though, which was making me hope.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #10  
prepare for the BEST time

OK I CONFESS!!!! (sorry Mrs. Jim, MEA CULPA)

I have the Supreme Pilates, (it was a weak moment after Labor Day, before I knew what I was doing I was on the phone....). However, the GOOD news is the following:

It's NOT flimsey...it is VERY heavy, sturdy but has little wheely things.
It does fold flat
the DVDs are OK, but don't show all the moves in the infomercial
Here is the bad news.....
they don't send you enough hook clamp thingies to (think dog leash) leave all the springs attached at one time...I had to buy more at Home Depot.
If you want a stronger spring, you would have to order it separately from a Pilates site (the trap table is the proper name).

Unfortunately I cannot give a results review, because shortly after I rec'd it, I had an accident (fractures and surgery) and I was unable to play with it. Then for the holidays I moved it to another room and have not yet set it up...( I missed a lot of work and am still catching up).
Now I SHOULD be using it to help me get some flexibility back....
Old 01-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Marbleflys, was it easy to put together, other than not having all the clamps and having to buy a stronger spring? Was buying the stronger spring an option that was given to you when you ordered the machine?

Sorry for all the questions?

Another option for a Pilates machine is the Total Gym Pilates adapter ... it may be they don't make these anymore, but for a few years they were marketing the TG with this unit that adapted it for Pilates. A friend of mine has TG with this option and it's rather nice, in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #12  

no need to apologize...and there is practically no assembly. (just wing-nuts).

the stronger springs aren't offered with this.....I searched them on another Pilates site that sold the professional version.

BBL, thanks!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha
Another option for a Pilates machine is the Total Gym Pilates adapter ... it may be they don't make these anymore, but for a few years they were marketing the TG with this unit that adapted it for Pilates. A friend of mine has TG with this option and it's rather nice, in my opinion.
The TG doesn't offer it that I could find, I keep looking on sites like ebay and such, because that one is portable also.

marbleflys - So when you did get to workout on it before your accident, did you like it? Did you need to buy the stronger springs to make the workout "tougher". I have the Windsor tapes and the ring, so I'm hoping that I can adapt those to the machine, and use some of the movements that I'm learing from a class I'm taking at our Rec Center.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Thanks, Donna and Marbleflys.

Marbleflys, my question is the same as Donna's ... why did you get the stronger spring? Was it to enhance the workout or because the original spring wasn't suitable at all?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #15  

Hi Donna:

(sorry, I should have stated the obvious not leave everyone dangling). Yes, I do like it better than the home versions of reformers you can get for about the same price). The springs are fine with the tension they provide but if you are more advanced or like that football player who is in the ad, you might wish something *tougher*. I like the wooden bar especially for abs. with short springs and of course the legs go on the long springs. The straps are well made and there is plenty of room to leave everything attached if you have enough snap-links. The padded portion is thick and the standing arm work is easy to switch to.

Now here is the infomercial tacky part.....When I purchased mine it was a LOWER price (maybe an error on Gunthy's part). I saw the infomercial again after I got it and thought ?????Huh?, so I checked my credit card and order info....My total was about $180.00 with S/Handling....and it does come UPS "3 EASY PAYMENTS OF>>>>>" go figure..

I think they keep changing the price after they see their marketing scores.
Closed Thread