Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Default Scale Addiction

I can't get away from it. I get up in the morning and go into the closet where the scale is and rip off my clothes. I move the scale, make sure it is at zero and check the floor to see if its even. I get on look at the weight. I can't believe it! I get off and get back on and lean with my heels....I look at the weight...I can't believe it.....

And so it goes until I find a position I think is right and is weighing me correctly.

How bad is this????

Has anyone else out there done this and why?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:03 AM   #2  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

I do this too. I have found if my scale is facing one way it will put my weight 4 lbs lighter than if it faces this other way. Drives me nuts. Of course, the blasted doctors office scale says I weigh 9 lbs more than my scale at home. Weird, considering when I first got my scale the doctors scale agreed with it. Maybe my scale has gotten banged around too much. Anyway...
I have no explaination for why. for me it is good for me to weigh every day. At least i know what my weight averages and that I am maintaining my loss so far even though I'm not losing like I want to but that is because I have been eating too much. but I digress.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  

I thought I was reading a post that I had written! And here I thought I was the only one. I have tried changing my relationship with my scale, but I can't. It's a love hate thing. And I too, get on about 3-4 times, to find a weight I like. I need a better scale I think.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

I have to get on my digital scale more than once in order to get an accurate (???) reading. Who knows if the crazy thing is right??

I can't wait to lose a few more pounds so I can start using our analog scale again!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #5  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

i do that exact thing every day of my life!
charliekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I weigh, I get on and off 3x (analog scale). Sometimes the readings are close, other times far apart. I take the average if they're far apart.

I try to never move the scale -- it's just too variable if I do.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #7  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I do the exact same thing. I move the scale all around the room since my apartment isn't level. I just use the number that comes up the most.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

Ours is wildly inaccurate. DH almost never weighs himself - he goes almost entirely by NSVs (would be entirely if I stopped asking him!). Sometimes I'll weigh myself more often - daily even - but other times the scale gets a layer of dust on it as weeks go by without either one of us stepping on it.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #9  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I try to stay away from the scale except for once a week. Last week I managed to do it.

I usually just get on my digital once then hop over to my analog. Of course I haven't had a change in weeks so I'm hoping one of them will differ!! :P
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #10  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

MY NAME IS SARA, AND I'M AN ADDICT...
IT'S BEEN 6 HOURS SINCE MY LAST PEEK AT THE SCALE!

I usually 'check in' every other day. Monday's are my official weigh in's and I do the get on and off and move it around the floor thing at least 3 times!!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #11  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I check once every morning. I'm not sure if this explains what you are talking about, but maybe you shouldn't move the scale so much. If you weigh in one place, then move it, who's to say which was level? Try to leave it in one place that seems level and weigh there everytime faithfully. Even if you don't think the total weight # is accurate, if your scale is decent then you should be able to tell weight change (losses, gains). Does that make sense? Try to use it for change, not for a number you like. HTH

BTW, I have a weight watchers glass and chrome scale that I find to be very reliable.

Last edited by ScarlettDrawl; 01-10-2006 at 12:42 PM.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #12  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I never owned a scale. So I would weigh in at Moms house on Saturdays when I visit. I couldnt take it anymore so I bought a digital scale today at WalMart. Evidentally Moms scale is off. I weighed 260 on the 31st then 253 on the 6th. This new scale is saying 261. So Im going with that weight. I know Ive lost some since starting this diet on the 4th but not sure exactly how much. But this way I can check in more often and see how Im doing.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #13  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Someone told me moving a scale from one place to another. I mean miles now not feet will screw it up. So I guess the same would be with the scales getting kicked around after a while. Has anyone mail ordered and had good results?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #14  
Bird Nerd

I do the same thing! I used to have a digital scale and I liked that better because I got consistent readings - now I feel like I never know what I really weigh. Of course, in my mind I go with the smallest number - but I really don't know!
wildlifebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #15  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't think there is anything wrong with weighing in a lot if you aren't beating yourself up over a few pounds. It's way more important to feel good because you're doing the right things than to feel bad over a number.
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote