Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #1  

Default Is Week One Horrible For Everyone?!

I am just hitting the end of week number one of my diet... down 5 lbs... but it was soooooooooooooo hard... i even gave up and ate pizza one day.... but realized i had to get back on the ball.. And to make matters worse i have the nastiest little cold in the world, and an ear infection, so it is not helping my situation... i am ready to jump off a bridge!!!!! lol.... am i the only one going through this ****?!?!@?!#
ThErEaLmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #2  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

The first week was tough for me too. I think you're about there on the mental part, but if it was **** then maybe....are you eating ENOUGH? 5 pounds is not that unusual for a first week since there's always so much water that goes then, but you want to prepare yourself for things to slow down on the scale after the first 2-3 weeks probably. And...if you're really unhappy, you could share some of what you're doing with the group and ask for feedback or experiences (like....are you counting cals, doing WW, etc.; exercise?). I would imagine feeling poorly certainly complicates it since I know I want comforting foods then (assuming I'm keeping stuff down )

ALSO....I can't tell your gender straight out, but that's a ticker on the cute side so I'm guessing female? Know that there are some times of the month that are REALLY going to make things extra challenging (at least they do for me). I definitely, definitely get overpowering (well, I win most of the time!) cravings at certain times or my hunger goes through the roof and sometimes I honor that by eating more (just so I can SLEEP if nothing else). Any possibility something along the hormone lines is going on and perhaps making your first week even more challenging?
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #3  

Red face

lol.... It's not so much **** because I am hungry, because I eat four times a day, I'm just a big 23 yr old baby and i want the foods Im not supposed to have. It doesnt help when it's time for family dinner and your meal looks like cat food compared to everyone else's.... lol.... And since I'm sick I'm being an even bigger drama queen... I think I will be ok, it's just in my head. i leave the table feeling satisfied not stuffed, but it's hard to break old habits, like going for seconds, or having dessert too. I just have to stick it out... and gt over the fact that no one loses weight by eating cookies & cream ice cream all day... (my fantasy diet) thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement.....
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #4  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

You're funny! That WOULD be hard though when you have to sit at the table and watch others. I haven't thought of that for awhile--I live alone so that makes it MUCH easier for me I guess. I only what I'm eating and fix what I need without having to worry about kids or others. I wonder if you might get anything out of something like "French Women Don't Get Fat"--the book's main message is that it *is* ok to eat those favorite things, but the thing is to learn WHEN it's appropriate to eat them and to learn to enjoy and savor them, not eat them out of habit. I'm listening to the book on tape and I find it quite preachy at times, but the bigger message is worth hearing (and is something you find posted in many voices here in the forum). If you want to read the book, I'd definitely go for a library version rather than spend the money on it

hang in there! It does get easier (on most days; I won't kid you, there are days that are still a real challenge!)
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #5  

I lost 5 lbs last week too............I thought I was going to go crazy!
BTW My name is Jen and I am new here and thrilled to have found this place!
noniesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

To follow up on what nowornever said, can you eat some of what your family eats? Sometimes you can make foods a little different right at the end -- healthier for you -- or give them the healthy food too!

Losing weight is hard, and some days are harder than others. But I've found that getting into a routine makes it a LOT easier, most of the time.

When I want the foods that are problematic for me, or when I want a second helping of something, I ask myself which I want more: that food, or to be healthy. Once the taste of the food is gone, it's gone, but my health is hopefully going to stick with me! I think you have to win that mental game more often than you lose it to succeed.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #7  

Cool

Hi Jen I'm Shauna, I guess we have to be strong together and fight!!!!!!! Thanx for the info on the book now or never, I will definately check it out.....