General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #1  
Movin on down the scale

Question Does you scale do this?

I have a weight watchers scale, it doesnt weigh BMI or anything other than plain ol' wieght. Well, if I put it on the tile floor it ranges between 172-175. If I put it on the bathroom rug it tells me I am more like 165-167

I have always put it on the tile, but I had it on the rug last night and saw this...I am getting fed up with this scale since everytime I weigh in it tells me a different weight like 172.5, 173.2, 176.4, ect..it is nothing reliable anymore I think..but the scale is like 5 months old, any ideas?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #2  

No, idea why your scale does that,but I can relate. The other day I weighed myself. First time 231.5, 5 minutes later 229, then went to the bathroom and gained more weight after I peed (233). I am ready to chuck mine and get a new one. Maybe I should just average all those numbers instead!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

check the scale batteries

and yes you do get a different reading on carpet. How often are you weighing yourself, since your weight can fluctuate over the course of a week.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #4  
Movin on down the scale

I will check the batteries, I weigh in 2 times per day, to keep myself in check, but I dont give much thought to the numbers, but that HUGE difference was getting on my nerves..lol I do weigh on the tile floor so it is consistant, but it does go up and down depending on how I stand, I can weigh 5 times in a row within 3-5 min and each reading will be different...grrrrr....But thanks I will check the batteries now.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Scale Matters

Carpet is different than tile and that will be different in different parts of your house. I think I heard somewhere that it is related to gravitational pull, but dunno. Sometimes I get different consecutive weights as well. Mostly I weigh until I see the same thing 3 times. If I have to weigh 10 times...that's a flag. 5 times, no biggie. Check your batteries, rotate them once in a while, and make sure you are standing in the same position every time (sometimes if you stand farther up the scale will be different, stand square in the middle), and if all else fails, get a new one.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #6  

No, theres NO problem with your scale!!!!!!! It HAS to be on a HARD FLAT surface!!! Period!!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #7  
Melting Butter

My scale does the exact same thing! Except it doesn't run by batteries and it's not old. It's just cheap. Cheap cheap cheap. I'm thinking about investing in another scale eventually.
And if you weigh in on a hard tile floor the results are always better than on the carpet. Chicaloca has a good point about being on a hard flat surface when weighing in.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #8  
Movin on down the scale

Yeah I am always on the hard tile floor, I just happened to put it on the carpet to see what happened, but I do get simultanious different readings, even standing on the same spot, I just weigh until I get 3 numbers alike also.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #9  

Mine does the same thing- I would keep it on the tile if you have a choice. If it is on the carpet, some of the weight will be absorbed as it sinks down a little.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #10  
Vegan in Training

I have a WeightWatchers scale, too. And another older digital scale. Yes, you must weigh on hard floor or it absorbs the pressure. Too easy to cheat that way.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

Grrr, I swear I am getting a new scale!!!! I weighed today fully clothed, then I stripped to change and I weighed again, I WEIGHED THE SAME BOTH TIMES!!!!!! I HATE MY SCALE! I think I am going to get a new one next time I go shopping, and tomorrow I think I am going to go to the dr office and weigh in on thiers to see just how much I lost since last time I was there (DEC 05). This is making me mad now..lol
Old 01-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #12  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Umm not for nothing and I do know where you are, but I think you are weighing yourself too much.

Get a new scale if that is what you have to do but weiging more than once a week is going to make your progress faulter (bad number bad day) and you will be tied up in a number rather than how your cloths fit and how you feel.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #13  
Movin on down the scale

L114S, thanks, but I dont have the "bad number bad day" problem....I really dont get "hung" up on actual numbers, I do want to see accurate (or fairly so at least) ones. With the scale doing this, I dont know exactly where I stand. But thanks again.

For me weighing in daily or 2 times a day, really just keeps me in check.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #14  

Height: 5"4

My scale is very consistent, BUT I never move it. It stays in the same exact place every day in my bathroom. It's on a firm flat surface. I can get off and on 5 times and it will say the same thing every time. It's a digital one I got at Wal Mart for around 35 bucks.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #15  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

oh my goodness,i thought i was the only one having problems with the scale,i can get on a hundred times in a row and it will say something different every time! and i have the digital kind that counts your bmi and all that other stuff and its new,and on a hard surface.i feel like throwing them out the window
Closed Thread