Old 01-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #1  

Default Howberley's magazine

I got the magazine and read it through (fantastic picture, you beautiful people you!), and something caught my eye. There's an article about a man who is an ex-Sumo wrestler on page 32. He makes a comment about how they would eat their large meals, and then go take a nap, "which would cause major weight gain." That idea caught my attention, so I went looking on the net for more information.

I found this article: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...ou_get_fat.php

Very very interesting. Some of them are basic ideas that have been around forever--eat breakfast, front-weight your calories in the day, pay attention to what you're eating--but the napping thing continued to catch my attention. This is because, in all honesty, I have taken a nap nearly every day for the last 5 years. In the last 5 years I have gained 120 pounds. In the last 5 years it has been observed by many different people (even professionals) that I'm not eating enough to merit such huge gains. I'm built much like a Sumo wrestler--heavily muscular (I've lifted weights for 15 years), but rounded and full with a heavy belly and low center of gravity. Interesting.

So I looked for more articles. Every single one mentions the napping thing. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Comments?
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Now I know what would be the perfect career for me!
the funny thing is.. I was about to go down for a lazy Sunday afternoon nap. I love love love to nap!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar
Now I know what would be the perfect career for me!
the funny thing is.. I was about to go down for a lazy Sunday afternoon nap. I love love love to nap!
I was upset by the idea of missing naps, too. But then I was reading another book at Barnes&Noble, The Insulin Resistance Diet. Hmm. Okay. It said that for 2 hours after you eat, the body is deciding what to do with the calories you've just consumed. If there's a demand for them--exercising, or moving around, or whathaveyou--it will put them in muscles first. But if there's no demand, things go to storage. Couple this with what I know about digestion--it takes ~2-3 hours, glucose will fill depleted muscle first and then fat cells, eating large meals necessitates fat storage because there's just nowhere else to PUT the calories, etc...and it makes sense that you should stay awake for at least two hours after a meal, but then you can nap if you want/need to.

Keep in mind that Sumo naps are loooong naps--2-4 hours long! So I don't know if catnaps (20 minutes or so) would have the same effect.

It's interesting to think about. It also couples with the idea of "carb coma"--an excess of carbs causing a blood sugar spike and subsequent crash, thus putting you to sleep--in an interesting way.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #4  
Abby's Mommy

I was MIA for a while, so while I was sneaking in and reading some of your posts, I missed this. What magazine?? I want to see it!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanna B. Skinny
I was MIA for a while, so while I was sneaking in and reading some of your posts, I missed this. What magazine?? I want to see it!
It's out this month, printed by People magazine and called "Your Diet". It's white with a pink/burgundy-dressed woman on front. Howie and Kimberley are on page 16.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #6  
Abby's Mommy

Ooooh, THANK YOU!! I cant wait to see/read it!! YAY for Howie and Kimberley!!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #7  
a new year... a new me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar
I love love love to nap!

OMG ME TOO. i'm an obsessive compulsive narcoleptic..... all i can do is think about the next time i get to sleep. LOL
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #8  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

You guys, I just saw this thread! Thanks! I'm at the hospital right now, waiting while Howie's in surgery. They made the incision at 9:15am and expect this to take 6-7 hours. My friend is here with her notebook...And wireless service through Verizon. Whatta blessing!

Been up since 3:00am. I could use a nap, speaking of them.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Kimberly... prayers go out to Howie today. That is a long time for you to wait. I will be thinking of the two of you today.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #10  

Ooooooh, waiting through surgeries is the worst--or so I hear! I've always been the one being operated on, not the one waiting. Still, I don't envy you right now. I hope everything goes well. Remember that time keeps passing, even when it seems to stand still.