Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #1  

Default Need breakfast ideas....

I'm having the WORST time with breakfast lately. I need some ideas I can either have on hand in the fridge or freezer, something I can eat on the run, or even something I can take to work and nuke in the microwave. Instant oatmeal doesn't really fill me up at one packet and regular oatmeal is so bland. I'd like some ideas that don't require me to be a gourmet chef. I thought about coming up with some kind of breakfast burrito and freezing several at a time. So, anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Casey
Dacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Usually breakfast for me is:
- Clif bar
- Luna bar
- Quaker weight-control Oatmeal made with skim milk
- A slice of whole wheat toast with crunchy PB and preserves

On the weekend, I might do something more elaborate, but these are all quick and easy.
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #3  
it's always something

Soup, sandwich, etc I rarely eat traditional breakfast foods, so I'll grab anything that is quick to eat.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #4  
Tonita

Smile Breakfast ideas

Hi Dacer

I find that drinking a protein shake (whey protein powder) satisfies me before my daily workout.

The ingredients consist of:

1 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries or mixed berries etc.) along with a cut-up banana
1 cup of skim milk
2 teaspoons of fibre powder (I use Fiber-ific powder recommended by my nutritionist) I'm sure Benefiber is just as good. They sell this at Wal-Mart.
2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed (excellent in lowering bad cholesterol levels)

Finally, blend all the ingredients in the blender for 20 to 60 seconds. Voilą instant and healthy breakfast!

I keep 4 drinking glasses with the fibre powder and ground flaxseeds properly measured in the fridge to save on time. I also keep the frozen fruit in the fridge which eventually thaw overnight.

Also make sure that your breakfast consists of some protein (i.e. boiled egg, omelette, natural peanut butter, deli meat-roast beef, turkey or chicken breast are the best) whole grain toast, whole grain English muffin and some fruit. Low fat yogurt is also an excellent choice. A quarter cup of almonds or walnuts are also excellent choices to add healthy fats to your diet to keep you satisfied. My husband and I love SOURCE yogurt with SPLENDA and only 50 calories a serving! Apple crumble, and lemon meringue are our favourites! Lots of protein in that!

Remember to refuel with snacks every 2 to 3 hours to keep your energy levels up.
Some ideas,

cheese string
oatmeal
yogurt
apple smeared with peanut butter etc.

If you check the website:

www.menshealth.com (Article "More food, less fat") you will find excellent ideas on healthy foods to eat for each time period of the day. It is worth checking this site out.

I hope this information helps you out! Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Have a good weekend!

Tonita
Tonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Here's a 'make ahead' quiche idea, I made this at night and then ate a slice the next morning. I'll have another slice this morning. I'm not sure how well it freezes but I gave it a try, I've seen frozen quiches before. You can substitute between no-fat, low-fat, and full-fat cheeses as you like.

Veggie-Rich Breakfast Quiche
16 oz container of no-fat cottage cheese (about 360 calories)
3/4 cup 2% fat cheddar cheese (about 270 calories)
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped (50 calories)
1 cup egg beaters (120 calories)
3 tablespoons reduced fat parmesan cheese, grated (60 calories)
3 tablespoons bread crumbs (85 calories)
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained (100 calories)

Basically you just mix it all together, pour it in a 9" round pie pan, and stick it in the oven at 350 for -- well, the recipe said 45 minutes, but it originally used regular eggs. You cook it until it's set. That took more like an hour and 15 minutes or so for mine.

The whole thing above has 1045 calories. You could have a quarter of it for just over 250 calories, and that is a LOT of food, trust me. I cut it into 1/8th slices and add some fruit and sometimes yogurt to it for breakfast.

I imagine it's easily adaptable. The red peppers are just for color, you could probably use fresh, too. I added in some 'leftover veggies' that were going to go bad in my fridge, onions and green pepper, diced. I bet if you wanted spinach you could substitute that for the broccoli. I only had full fat shredded parmesan/romano mix so I subbed that.

Anyway, it turned out pretty good, thought I'd share. Heating up is a snap, 30-60 seconds in the microwave. As an added bonus, it starts the day off with some veggies.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

How bout a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? I have been having a toasted whole-wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter and no-sugar-added jelly for breakfast, but a sandwich you dould make ahead of time and keep in the fridge, and it's all the same ingredients. Ooh, or sometimes I use banana slices instead of jelly--VERY yummy

I hear you on the oatmeal--I like Quaker's reduced-sugar fruit n' cream kind, but a single packet isn't enough for a meal for me, so I use it as a snack.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  
*Melissa*

I eat the WW muffins (double chocolate or blueberry) very yummy, don't even taste like diet food!!! I also eat a thing of the Yoplait Fat Free yogurt... in weight watchers it's 5 points total. I also just tried an Eco Energy bar today and to my surprise it was quite tasty!
ditzeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #8  
sick and tired no more...

S/C/G: 171.5/see ticker/120

Height: 5ft 1in

Default breakfast smoothie

My latest favorite breakfast creation is a protein-rich smoothie that is really and truly delicious! (My 13 year-old son even likes them! )

The recipe:
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese (creamed)
3/4 cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries
1/2 banana (small)
1 individual serving of nonfat, sugar-free vanilla yogurt (Astro)
1 cup water to thin-down mixture (adjust to your own preference)

Blend until smooth and away you go! It literally takes me about 3 minutes to make and I can take it with me anywhere!

Nutritional Values:
300 calories
21 grams of protein
2 grams of fat
250 mg of calcium (roughly)
Approximately 50% of your vitamin B6 daily requirement and almost 100% of your B12 requirement!

Hope you like it!

psych_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #9  

I am a coffee drinker, so I am usually craving something sweet to go with it. My usuals are either:
1. A Kudos bar and a low fat yogurt
2. Peanut butter on toast
3. All fruit jam on an English muffin
4. Dry cereal mixed with raisins and almonds

These are all fast and portable, and satisfy my sweet tooth!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #10  

I'm a huge fan of cereal. I found that a serving size of Honey Bunches of Oats actually fills me up. It's quick and yummy. I have calcium enriched OJ to drink. When I'm running late I usually toast something to take in the car. PB is my FAVORITE! I love PB on a banana for a quick snack. Gives me something sweet and some protien, too. Or try a yogurt. Quick and easy!
English_teacha is offline   Reply With Quote