Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:35 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default I am so MAD right now!

I have been eating like a for AGES, since July (except about 3 days over Christmas) and I've been eating like the BEST since Saturday.

I've been doing couch to 5K every other day for 6 weeks. I've been lifting weights (apart from a week off over Christmas) and I'm generally fit and active. Next week I'll be back to kickboxing 4 lessons a week.

I eat 1500kcals a day and drink loads of water, but these past 3 or 4 days I've cut down to 1350-1450 because I want just one more lb off before the Friday's weigh in!

I've been doing this for 6 months and for the past 3 months I've not seen ANY progress. AT ALL! The scales have stuck. SOLID. My BF% is the same and I'm at my wit's end!

I was all fired up to go at it hammer and tong and be all MEGA healthy, but since nothing's happening then I might as well cut back on some exercise and eat some more food!

I need help DOWN from my plateau! Any ideas?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Smile

I'm not in a position to offer much advice - but I can tell you that recently upping my protein seemed to get my weight loss going again. I read that upping protein could help with weight loss (not low carb diet, just upped the protein and lowered some carbs).

I'm sure there are lots of successful losers here that will have much more advice for you though!

icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

He he! If I ate more protein I'd cluck! Seriously, I eat about 100g protein every day! It keeps me nice and full too!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #4  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Smile

Well, I'll be watching to see what other response you get!! I'd like to know what to do when I get to my next plateau!!

icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #5  

Aside from making sure you are being completely honest and scrupulous about your calorie intake, I would suggest you take a look on the maintainers forum for an article written by Meg about the metabolism of the reduced obese. I am 5'6" my weight hovers between 9 stone 7 and 10 stone. I am in the gym 6 days a week and run about 50 k per week. I don't drive, I cycle or walk everywhere I go. To lose weight I need to eat around1200 calories per day. A bit above that and I am maintaining, around 1800-2000 I start gaining. It is not the same for everybody but it is reality for a lot of us formerly obese people.
alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

Yeah I've read that article. I used to eat 1200kcals a day and hovered around 12 stone 2, then faffed around for a little bit and settled at 1500 and dropped more to 11:13, maybe I need to drop more calories. I just pity my DF who has to live with my low blood sugar moods!

I'm also doing more exercise than I ever did and at 23 I don't know if my metabolism will be that greatly reduced that I'll be maintaining at 1500. I hope not anyway!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That's frustrating!

Have you measured yourself -- if you're aren't losing pounds are you at least losing inches? Fitting in clothes differently?

Don't give up! At least you're healthy and active and able to do tons of things you probably couldn't before!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #8  

Ohhh, I know how frustrating it can be! Been there, done that. When it is all said and done, these last pounds are the hardest. Period.

To cope, I remind myself that the only sure way NOT to reach my goal is to give up all together.

Still, I understand your attitude of "might as well cut back on some exercise and eat some more food." And, honestly, I think you might be on to something. Recently, I increased my calorie level to just below what I expect it to be once I reach my goal weight. I have kept my exercise level the same although I am switching up my routine. Low and behold, the scale has started to inch downward. At a snail's pace, mind you, but downward all the same. I've accepted that the weeks of losing even 1 full pound will be few and far between from here on out - if it happens at all. That's okay with me as long as I get to where I want to be.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

I think I'm maybe getting a handle on the bad mood now!

I'm going to weigh once more tomorrow (official weigh in day) and then put the scales away for a month. I might just see how hungry I feel after a week of lower cals then I might move it up slightly... I will be notching up the exercise anyway since I'm now teaching a kickboxing class on top of all the running and weights and current kickboxing. I think I might survive!

I've heard people say that they look at maintaining then they drop weight unexpectedly, I'm half thinking maybe having a look at just maintaining now while I notch up the exercise, but you know, I HAVE been maintaining!

I just keep thinking that there's maybe somthing simple that I've missed. I can't think of it though! Perhaps I just need to concentrate on something different, other than the scales!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #10  
Whip It Good

I would like to offer for your consideration the idea of eating smaller meals more frequently - DOing this will prevent your blood sugar from plummeting. This can also help your metabolism.

Worth a try, no?
DaisyBug08004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

2frustrated, could you be eating a diet that's too low in fat? What is your overall % of fat intake a day? I once spent about 3 months losing 3 pounds, but when I started to look at how much fat I was eating I realized it was way too little (>20 g/day). I upped it to 30 and started losing again.

Also have you changed up your workout routine lately? Do you do the same kickboxing and weight routine every week? Maybe add a elliptical or step class or whatever one or two days instead of kickboxing, something different like that. I've read if you body gets too "used to" a routine it will do the routine a lot more efficiently and thus burn fewer calories.

Don't give up!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #12  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I don't have any advice, but I CAN say I feel your pain! I've been bouncing around between 141 and 139 for nearly a month now -- I know it's not as long as your plateau, but it IS frustrating.

All I can say is that over the summer, I was crawling along at 1/2 lb loss a week and then *suddenly* I lost about 10 lbs in 3 weeks...no idea why as I hadn't changed a darn thing.

Our bodies are pretty wacko, I guess. I wish I could give you more help .
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #13  

I've been watching this thread coz I have no idea what to say to you Frus. You do everything right, your so conscious about what you eat, and eating the right ratios. And exercise, your the queen.

You know what to do, ignore the scales, concetrate on your NSV's (non scale victories) and wait it out. My plateau lasted three months, i have lost about 8 pounds and now I'm stuck again, so I know your pain too.

Hang in there possum and it will come off!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #14  
Mel

Personally, I don't think you are eating that much protein. I average about 140 g. per day.

How does an eat? Seriously, what about posting your journal...what you really eat? And when you eat it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I eat more protein than that too and wish I could up it just a bit. My blood sugar never dips if I eat some protein every couple of hours.
I'd like to see your food journal too, please.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote